E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Rear Wind Deflector Eclass Cabriolet

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 08:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Eclass Cabriolet A207
Rear Wind Deflector Eclass Cabriolet

Ive recently taken delivery on a new eclass cabriolet. I dont know if i stand by myself on this one but i find it very hard to see out of the rear window due to the wind deflector taking up most of the view.

does anyone know if the rear wind deflector can be removed?

many thanks

Alex
Old 04-23-2010, 06:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 e550 coupe , 2010 ML550
your all alone on that one sir.
Old 04-23-2010, 10:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E-550 Coupe 2010 SE
Originally Posted by a13xgh
Ive recently taken delivery on a new eclass cabriolet. I dont know if i stand by myself on this one but i find it very hard to see out of the rear window due to the wind deflector taking up most of the view.

does anyone know if the rear wind deflector can be removed?

many thanks

Alex
Post some pics first!!
Old 04-28-2010, 08:49 PM

2012 ML350BTC
Definitely takes some getting used to. I wouldn't imagine some sort of damage you would need to clean up if you tried to remove it. It is designed into the rear headrests pretty firmly.
Old 07-15-2010, 03:56 PM

2009 C350
Actually they're easily removed (for easy cleaning). Just loosen the two screws (one on each side) that attaches the windscreen apparatus to the rear headrestraints. I think they're flat head screws.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:51 PM

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
19 E53 AMG Cab, 21 Land Rover Defender 110S, 20 LR Discovery HSE, 23 Ford Bronco 2dr 7spd Manual
My six year old almost got it off first try!
Old 01-29-2011, 05:25 PM

2011 E550 Cabroliet
Rear Wind Deflector Eclass Cabriolet - Custom Mod Solution?

I agree that the rear wind diffuser /screen is very difficult to get used to. It's height, when lowered, is just high enough to split your view in the rear view mirror and I feel like I am always looking either over or under the seam.

I did remove it, which was quite simple to do by removing the two thread screws on each side of the head rest. However, my reason was to take to a designer to see if he could make me a smoked plexi replacement screen that gives me higher coverage area.

Has anyone though of doing this or had luck in finding one custom made?
Old 01-29-2011, 06:10 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 220 Likes on 160 Posts
According to one of the shop foreman at my local dealership, this is a very common complaint.

Last edited by RJC; 01-29-2011 at 06:14 PM.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:30 AM

11 E550 Cabriolet
Congrats on the new ride. Would love to see some pics. W/r/t rear wind deflector / sun shade it can be easily removed as mentioned in earlier posts. I however have gotten used to it and doesn't cause me much difficulty seeing vehicles behind me. Also remember once your remove it you do increase wind buffeting in the cockpit. One of the things I have resorted to when driving my cabrio is 90% or more of the time I'm driving top down which certainly helps with rearward visibility.

RJC -
I know from some of your past posts you like to do performance mods which significantly increase performance while keeping the car a sleeper. Would love to hear about mods your considering in this area as I'm thinking about getting an ECU tune but want something that can be easily reverted to stock when I bring it in for service. So far speedriven has a tune that's reversible but haven't found too much positive or negative reviews for that matter to date.

Thought you might find this owners manual link helpful. http://www4.mercedes-benz.com/manual...en/flash8.html

Enjoy the ride...

Last edited by rhampar; 01-30-2011 at 11:35 AM.
Old 01-30-2011, 05:26 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 220 Likes on 160 Posts
Originally Posted by rhampar

RJC -
I know from some of your past posts you like to do performance mods which significantly increase performance while keeping the car a sleeper. Would love to hear about mods your considering in this area as I'm thinking about getting an ECU tune but want something that can be easily reverted to stock when I bring it in for service. So far speedriven has a tune that's reversible but haven't found too much positive or negative reviews for that matter to date.
Hi, I think you may have me confused with someone else. Since the days of my 930 turbo Porsches I haven't modified much of anything. The guy that bought my 06 E55 (Deaguero) tastefully modified it but I told him he should have left it stock.
Todays MBs especially the V8's, are powerful, very responsive and sound great so I'd leave it stock. Now if you happen to get a forced induction car an ecu tune to increase boost pressure while increasing fuel mixture to prevent detonation would add significant gains while adding no other parts; question is do we really need more power? I think the 550 performs great as is... Yeah, I know, I know

Last edited by RJC; 01-30-2011 at 05:29 PM.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:44 PM

11 E550 Cabriolet
Originally Posted by RJC
Hi, I think you may have me confused with someone else. Since the days of my 930 turbo Porsches I haven't modified much of anything. The guy that bought my 06 E55 (Deaguero) tastefully modified it but I told him he should have left it stock.
Todays MBs especially the V8's, are powerful, very responsive and sound great so I'd leave it stock. Now if you happen to get a forced induction car an ecu tune to increase boost pressure while increasing fuel mixture to prevent detonation would add significant gains while adding no other parts; question is do we really need more power? I think the 550 performs great as is... Yeah, I know, I know
Agree today's 550's are very powerful especially in sport mode. Really just looking to keep up or maybe pass my friends with C6 Corvettes, Challenger SRT8 and raise speed limiter to 155 - 160mph.
Old 04-05-2015, 10:44 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2019 C300 Cabriolet
I totally agree the rear wind deflector is a pain. and yes it can easily be removed.. there is a screw on each side that can be taken out and then the wind deflector just pulls up and out. its really easy
I added chrome around the front and rear lights and door handles.. I love the look, and of course I put remote start in it as well.. loving this car
Old 04-07-2015, 11:38 PM

E350 Cab
Took mine off. It is somewhere in the basement. Will probably put it back on when I sell the car. Wife hated it. I never drive it. Have two Porsche's
Old 04-08-2015, 08:21 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Mercedes E350 CD Iridium silver convertible 2010
It is very easy to remove, even instructions in the manual, it needs to come out to clean as it gets absolutely filthy with road grime. It is a pain as it obscures your rear view, especially at maximum rise.
Taking it out will definitely effect the wind turbulence inside the car, with the top down.
It is also worthy of note that as it collects the grime it stops that grime getting onto the rear seats etc.. The same with the mesh on the wind cap !!!!
So I have left mine in place.
It is not possible to have a glass screen as the frame of the mesh locates into the drive cogs which cause it to rise up and down......
Old 10-25-2015, 07:59 AM

E350 Cabriolet
Struggling to remove

Originally Posted by theraven333
It is very easy to remove, even instructions in the manual, it needs to come out to clean as it gets absolutely filthy with road grime. It is a pain as it obscures your rear view, especially at maximum rise.
Taking it out will definitely effect the wind turbulence inside the car, with the top down.
It is also worthy of note that as it collects the grime it stops that grime getting onto the rear seats etc.. The same with the mesh on the wind cap !!!!
So I have left mine in place.
It is not possible to have a glass screen as the frame of the mesh locates into the drive cogs which cause it to rise up and down......
Not wanting to break it by forcing anything, I'm struggling to free the windscreen. Any advice? The manual says to pull slightly forward while lifting, but I can't get it to release. Also, do the support arms underneath come out or does the windscreen snap off the support arms? Looks like there's a connection between the two.

Thanks for any support,
Rob
Old 10-25-2015, 02:15 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Mercedes E350 CD Iridium silver convertible 2010
Hi once you release the two allen key bolts, 1/4 turn ish, then you just pull straight up, below the mesh area the end pieces extend about 4-5inches down, they have rachet faces which engage with the drive gears which is how they are driven up and down. I think there is one for sale on ebay at the moment so you can see what it looks like complete??/
When putting it back it goes down as far the allen key bolts seriously cannot go wrong!!!!