E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Can you run the AC with the roof down?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 08:33 PM

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
19 E53 AMG Cab, 21 Land Rover Defender 110S, 20 LR Discovery HSE, 23 Ford Bronco 2dr 7spd Manual
Can you run the AC with the roof down?

Does the car know when the roof is down and can you run the AC without a problem with it down. Dont want to freeze the compressor.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 CLK350 Cabriolet
Of course you can.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 e350 coupe
I think he is saying by leaving the roof open it will overwork the compressor and cause it to ice over or freeze.

I guess that all depends on outside weather. Right now I am in las Vegas 110 out and air conditioner is working very hard even with deep tint windows and screen covering the sun roof closed

I think we have too many variables such as speed of vehicle, outside air temperature humidity tint on windows and type of material, color of car etc.

I do not think there is a set answer, however if you open the roof why not open all the windows and leave the air off, vehicle is quite cool once speed is over 45
Old 08-11-2010, 09:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 E350 Coupe
Of course you can run the A/C with the windows down. It won't do anything to any of the A/C components such as the compressor.

Remember A/C in car has been around for close to 50 to 55 years now. It used to be that the A/C just ran when turned on. All a person did was adjust the fan speed. Then they started putting temperature controls in. After that came what we have today in so many different vehicle and that's interior thermostats so you can adjust the temp. to whatever you want.

Just because the interior temp. cannot be obtained because the top is down or windows are opened dosen't do anything except keep the A/C running.

When I worked down in central Florida people use to do this pratice on a regular basis. Everyone use to drive around with the windows down and the A/C going full blast.