E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Serious Sirius Question, Again!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 10:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350 Coupe
Serious Sirius Question, Again!

I have a posted this problem before but am hoping that someone will have some further info on a FIX. My Sirius reception is spotty at best. It will work fine for awhile and then I'll get the "No Service" message. There is no consistency either. It will play one day and not the next in the same location. I took it to the dealer and he had it for the better part of two days without being able to fix it. Supposedly they were trying to update the firmware from MB in CA but it can take hours. I have an appointment to take it back next week. Before I go I would like to gather any info I can find. First, has anybody experienced the same problem. Second, does anybody know if in fact there is a firmware update. My car is a 2/10 build. If anyone has experienced this problem what was the solution. Thanks in advance!
Old 10-23-2010, 03:49 PM

2010 E350 Coupe
Originally Posted by steelgrey
I have a posted this problem before but am hoping that someone will have some further info on a FIX. My Sirius reception is spotty at best. It will work fine for awhile and then I'll get the "No Service" message. There is no consistency either. It will play one day and not the next in the same location. I took it to the dealer and he had it for the better part of two days without being able to fix it. Supposedly they were trying to update the firmware from MB in CA but it can take hours. I have an appointment to take it back next week. Before I go I would like to gather any info I can find. First, has anybody experienced the same problem. Second, does anybody know if in fact there is a firmware update. My car is a 2/10 build. If anyone has experienced this problem what was the solution. Thanks in advance!
I posted essentially the same problem I'm having with mine in early October. Someone replied they had the issue but his receiver was replaced and seemed to fix the problem. After keeping my car two days, the dealer experienced my problem, stating it was a bad antenna as it also locked up my nav. They ordered the antenna and it seemed to work properly. HOWEVER...after about 3 weeks I'm getting "No Service" again. Sirius wants me to sign up and pay, now that my free service is coming to an end. Given the reliability I'm experiencing, I would be willing to sign if MB was willing to pay for a years worth of service, but we all know that won't happen. I'm going to contact my dealer once more and complain that it hasn't been fixed. I have heard of no firmware update.

It would be very interesting to know the number of other people having the same problem, so it could be documented.
Z
Old 11-24-2010, 10:52 PM

2010 E350 Coupe
Sirius Update

Ok, so I get the call from my dealer that they finally received a new sat receiver for my car and to come in for install. Take it in on Tuesday & drop off, getting a loaner for what I expect a one day job.

Late Tuesday afternoon - receiver installed but can't get signal.

Late Wednesday afternoon (today) - still can't signal, got it once but it dropped and showing "no signal." Tomorrow is T-giving (closed, naturally), Friday service is open but the shop forman (the sat expert) is not in until Monday. I told them to keep it, that it was a pain in the *** to keep dropping the car off...besides, I have their loaner, a C300.

Long story short - I continue to be underwhelmed by the crappy sat gear they're installing in these cars. Patience is beginning to wear thin and the whole thing is mystifying, especially since this isn't that complex a thing (I think). I mean, unplug bad receiver, replug new (?) receiver and reprogram. Maybe it's time to unplug bad technician? For those of you who have no problems with your sat radio, consider yourself fortunate.
Z
Old 11-30-2010, 01:51 AM

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
19 E53 AMG Cab, 21 Land Rover Defender 110S, 20 LR Discovery HSE, 23 Ford Bronco 2dr 7spd Manual
We are all having the same problem. I thought it was because I live in Long Island and I was at the eastern edge of the satellite service coverage.
Old 11-30-2010, 10:07 AM

2010 E350 Coupe
Originally Posted by Pennetta
We are all having the same problem. I thought it was because I live in Long Island and I was at the eastern edge of the satellite service coverage.
One week update: dealer still has the car and still cannot get it to "hold the programming." Supposedly the shop is now communicating with MB about the issue to see if they can help solve the mystery of the uncooperative new receiver. If it's not fixed today, I'll probably go get the car and have a $60K car with a #$%@-up sat radio that no one can fix - amazing. Then I'm going to start raising hell with MBUSA.
Z
Old 11-30-2010, 11:29 AM

E350 Coupe
Well Z I've had a little better luck than you. So far they haven't replaced any parts but mine is working about 80% of the time. If I get a No Service message and bang on the antenna plate and the antenna about 3 times the radio will start playing. This works every time. Yes, I'm going to be asking for a new antenna. This is kind of a funny story to a non funny problem but, I called Sirius and asked them about a firmware update which is what the dealer first told me was probably the problem. However in th 2 days they had my car te first time they were not able to perform update. Sirius told me that there are never fireware updates for in vechicle radios and that the dealer needed to do a hard reset. I talked to the Service Advisor on the phone when he called to tell me my car was ready to pick up after the second 2 day visit. They had found a loose jack. Well the radio was playing when I picked up the car. I looked at the workorder it stated "Per conference call with Sirius performed hard reset" in other words they put on the work order exactely what I told him on the phone. They didn't mention anything about a loose jack which originally was what they told me they did. I can't believe that this seems to be such a problem for the dealer to fix. There's the receiver, the antenna and the wiring that plugs into the in dash receiver. To me it shouldn't be much different than when you plug in your Apple Itouch to the jack in the glove box. All of the Sirius functionality should be performed by the Sirius receiver. I could be totally wrong but it just seems reasonable.

Last edited by steelgrey; 11-30-2010 at 11:33 AM.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:11 PM

2010 E350 Coupe
Originally Posted by steelgrey
but mine is working about 80% of the time. If I get a No Service message and bang on the antenna plate and the antenna about 3 times the radio will start playing. This works every time. Yes, I'm going to be asking for a new antenna.
It's working about 80% of the time and you have to bang on the antenna; excuse me, but the damn thing is broken! Mine works sporadically too, but I haven't (and won't) bang on the antenna for a car supposedly of this quality. Frankly, I wouldn't look forward to an antenna replacment providing the fix.

Honestly, the service people tell you blah, blah, blah and after hearing that so much, in my opinion it's beginning to sound like BS, BS, BS.

I'm looking for a fix whereby the sat works 100% of the time - I have XM in 2 other cars and have yet to drop a signal...perhaps Sirius receivers are crap???
Z
Old 11-30-2010, 05:18 PM

E350 Coupe
No!!! I don't consider my problem fixed and I am going to be taking it to the dealer until it works 100% of the time. To me if banging on the antenna makes the radio play 100% of the time then there is something defective somewhere in the area of the antenna.

The rest of my post was verifying what you just said (blah, blah, blah, BS, BS, BS}about the service people not knowing what's actually wrong.

The Cadillac I traded in on the E Coupe had XM and it worked perfectly from the day I got it until the day I left it at the MB dealer.
Old 12-03-2010, 02:46 PM

2010 E350 Coupe
Update - have made contact with MB corporate to get them involved. Have the car back but the sat still doesn't work. Extensive troubleshooting with Sirius and corporate technical folks comes up with zero. Next step is replacing the entire Comand unit, which requires permission from the MB gods to do so and then special ordering for the part. The saga continues....
Z
Old 12-05-2010, 07:30 PM

E350 Coupe
Good Luck Z!!! I'll be following your results closely. If they finally can fix yours it will give me a little confidence that they will be able to fix mine. Please keep posting your results.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:40 AM

19 E53 AMG Cab, 21 Land Rover Defender 110S, 20 LR Discovery HSE, 23 Ford Bronco 2dr 7spd Manual
I let my six free month period expire until the Sirius turned off. I wasn't sure I was going to re-up the contract because of the horrible reception. I called and reinstated the account and they had to reprogram my radio via satellite with all of the channels. Funny thing is now it looses reception much less than before since the reprogram.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:03 PM

2010 E350 Coupe
they had to reprogram my radio via satellite with all of the channels. Funny thing is now it looses reception much less than before since the reprogram.
Yes, the dealer has reprogrammed and refreshed the receiver as well. Problem is, when they reprogram it, it doesn't hold the programming...sounds like yours is broken too - any sat receiver cutting in/out is flat out broken in my opinion, and not worth having nor advertising that it's a feature of a "new, whiz bang MB! ". It's gotta work 100% of the time or it's simply taking up space.
Z
Old 12-22-2010, 11:40 PM

2010 E350 Coupe
Latest update: dropped the car off Monday a.m. after getting a call from the dealer that they're going to replace the receiver with one from a new car...if that works, then they'll put in a receiver on order. Note: this is not the whole Comand module, just the sat receiver. I asked what happened to the idea of replacing the Comand module; response is, MB Corp would not approve replacing it.

They intended to replace the receiver yesterday with one that had been ordered, but it didn't come in. Car sat idle at the dealer all day.

Today they installed the new receiver and tested all day - same results - sporadic "no service" messages. (Hmmm, could it be the Comand module causing the malfunction???)

Tomorrow they intend to replace the antenna again. I asked why they continue to fart around with this thing and rapidly **** off a (former) satisfied client? Service advisor is frustrated, but decision is out of his hands and at the Corporate level.

I told the service advisor I was picking the car up tomorrow, whether it was ready or not and wanted to meet with the General Manager of the dealership. I also phoned Corporate Customer Care and filed yet another complaint with them.

It clearly appears MB does not want to go to the unfortunate expense of standing behind their product and fixing my vehicle (with 6100 miles) and keeping a customer happy. I don't believe I'm being unreasonable - I paid serious money for a car with a satellite feature - it doesn't work - I want it fixed - they appear to be avoiding getting it fixed and keeping a 1st time MB owner happy. While in the big scheme of things it's a minor issue, their avoidance to get it taken care of is extremely disappointing.

I wonder if MB would sell a used E350 with a broken sat radio and disclose that fact? Anyone who is having sat issues with their new car, beware...I don't know if you're going to get much satisfaction if you take it in. If you do, please let me know!
Z
Old 12-23-2010, 05:57 AM

It's a Sirius problem I think. Not only does my car lose reception but many of my friends cars do too, Mercedes and non-Mercedes cars.
I also have MBrace which is a satellite functioning device and it seems to work fine.
Old 12-23-2010, 12:01 PM

E350 Coupe
I agree with you Pennetta it appears that Sirius does play a large part in this problem. However, I think that the manufacturers of the satellite receiver and the antennas also share the blame also the Command Module although nobody has been able to explain to me what part it plays. I really just don't understand this. Clearly this isn't rocket science. There are kits to install your own and they certainly would not be on the market if they didn't work. In my case I've had my E350Coupe in twice for a total of four days. The second visit a tech found a lose jack fixed the jack and supposedly after a conference call with Sirius they performed a hard boot of the radio. SM said played all day. Picked up the car and the car was intermittently dropping the signal. Decided to try the gorilla fix. Using my fist i banged firmly on the plate surrounding the antenna and on the front part of the antenna about three times. Thr radio came back on. I said firmly not with enough force to break anything. This happened about four more times...drop reception...bang,bang,bang, radios back on. It is now staying on without dropping the signal and it's been six weeks. I am not recommending this fix and will deny responsibility if you shatter your pano roof.
Really sorry Z...I know you'll hang in there until they fix the problem.
Old 12-23-2010, 02:10 PM

2010 E350 Coupe
It's a Sirius problem I think. Not only does my car lose reception but many of my friends cars do too, Mercedes and non-Mercedes cars.
I also have MBrace which is a satellite functioning device and it seems to work fine.
I don't agree. If Sirius was that sporadic, there would be a myriad of complaints about it - there aren't, unless people are just flat out complacent.

I know others who have Sirius service and they don't have issues. I have XM in 2 other cars and it works flawlessly, 100% of the time. I firmly believe it's inherent somewhere in the Comand module/sat receiver/antenna - the latter two MB has replaced but didn't provide a fix. The only remaining piece is the Comand module (the most expensive part) and they appear unwilling to replace that. Because of that, I am absolutely unwilling to give up and if necessary, will become a significant pain in the ***.
Z
Old 12-24-2010, 10:38 AM

2010 E350 Coupe
Could it be fixed.....? Hopefully this is the last update - I picked the car up late yesterday and the SA told me it appears they fixed it. He said after installing the new receiver on Wed and new antenna yesterday, the combination of the two may have been the solution. While going through programming on the phone with Sirius, the car caught the signal almost instantaneously, surprising the tech and Sirius rep with the connection speed. They tested it twice, taking it out for drives and the signal was consistently received. I drove it home and had no issues with it in about a 35 minute drive.

My dealer expended a considerable amount of time on this job, with the car spending time at the dealership for approx 15 days. I just hope this is an end to the saga and no more surprises pop up.
Z
Old 12-24-2010, 03:46 PM

E350 Coupe
Congratulations Z...Hope this finally fixes it for you. So far mines still playing.
Have a Happy Holiday!

Steelgrey
Old 01-15-2011, 11:57 AM

2010 E350C
Wish I could report that this week's replacement Sirius module in my 2010 E350C solved the "no service" problem on channel 90 (and 34 other channels), but it did not.

I was told it was the 2011 part with "upgraded firmware", but apparently that was just B.S. No change whatsoever. Still "no service".

Hard to believe this problem has been around for as long as it's been around and there has not been a gathering of MBZ customers into a class-action lawsuit, against both Sirius and MBZ. It should not take years to fix a software problem, and apparently even the current model year radios exhibit the defect.

Astonishing.
Old 01-15-2011, 03:26 PM

Did you reach out to a class action attorney? First you need to figure out who has damaged you, Mercedes or Sirius. You need to identify the affected class, maybe its more that the E350, maybe its all MB cars, maybe all satelite radios. You need to quantify your damages, did you pay extra for the Sirius radio option and have you been paying monthly, does it devalue the resale of your car?
The bigger the affected class and the higher the amount of damages will determine if it's worth it to an attorney to take it on.
Old 01-15-2011, 03:27 PM

E350 Coupe
If you check Zekeman's post above his problem wasn't solved until they also replaced the antenna. If i'm not mistaken the 35 channel problem was with the 2009 E's and was a problem when the merger occured. Are you saying that you can recieve other stations (other than the 35) without service being dropped and the No Service message appearing. By the number of people posting to this thread it appears that alot of people are not experiencing a problem. The W212 forum is much more active than this one but I posted on it too and did not get many responses so it would appear that this problem is unique to the coupe.
Old 01-16-2011, 12:20 AM

2010 E350 Coupe
Originally Posted by DSperber
Wish I could report that this week's replacement Sirius module in my 2010 E350C solved the "no service" problem on channel 90 (and 34 other channels), but it did not.

I was told it was the 2011 part with "upgraded firmware", but apparently that was just B.S. No change whatsoever. Still "no service".

Hard to believe this problem has been around for as long as it's been around and there has not been a gathering of MBZ customers into a class-action lawsuit, against both Sirius and MBZ. It should not take years to fix a software problem, and apparently even the current model year radios exhibit the defect.

Astonishing.
Too bad; unfortunately, I do have an idea of your frustration.

Couple of things: I aggressively pursued the issue; took it in 3 times without a fix before I called and opened a file with MB Corporate; the idea of having a premium car and not being able to get a radio fixed didn't sit well with me, particularly since it would detract from resale significantly. I mean, who would buy a car (much less give you a fair trade) if the sat radio was unworkable?

Fortunately, the dealer got it taken care of but not without conference calls with senior MB technicians and Sirius to troubleshoot it. According to the dealer, it appeared to be a combination of sat antenna replacement along with sat receiver replacement - however, the first antenna installed didn't work properly nor did the sat receiver (!). Finally after getting two more units, it locked onto the signal and it's been working fine since (knock on wood!).

Don't give up - firmly insist that it be fixed and open a case with MB - they will contact your dealer to find out what has been going on.
Z
Old 01-16-2011, 02:40 AM

2010 E350C
Thanks for the additional info. I have not yet pursued replacing the antenna, but maybe that's required as well.

Interesting that it may be specifically related to the coupe.

Another interesting fact is the part number of my replacement unit which was "171-906-32-00 A COMBI RADIO". This is slightly different from the 171-906-09-00 part number I'd previously seen from others, who'd had their units replaced last year. Both of these definitely ARE Sirius radio units, but maybe the 32 version is for 2011??

Anyway, this is only the first week of my probable ongoing future extended effort to get this problem resolved. Haven't had a chance to hear back from MB/NJ yet (scheduled for Tuesday), nor from Sirius support.

My service rep at the dealership is aware that the replacement radio did NOT solve the problem, and will pursue. He may request an antenna replacement.

I plan to call for a sit-down with the GM of the dealership, to discuss the issue. It's only been since yesterday that I discovered all of the similar activity on this and other related MBZ owner forums, revealing that this problem has been out there for quite some time now... and apparently is STILL unresolved to everyone's satisfaction.

Amazing. Class-action suit eligible or not, the fact that the technicians at MBZ and Sirius cannot get to the bottom of this and fix it 100% reliably by now (via new parts or updated software), just amazing.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2021 GLE63S AMG, 2018 GLE43 AMG, 2014 E63 AMG S-Model 4Matic Wagon (sold)
Opening Moonroof Causes "No Service" on Satellite Radio

The car only has about 550 miles on it. I've been wondering why I occasionally get the "no service" message while listening to satellite radio. Then today I opened the Moonroof and a couple seconds later (just enough time to empty the cache,) the music stopped & the "no service" msg. appeared. So I closed the Moonroof and got the signal back immediately. Did the open-close a few more times and got the same results every time.

Is this happening to anyone else?
Old 04-01-2011, 05:20 AM

You are lucky, many of ours goes out whether the roof is up or down.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Serious Sirius Question, Again!