E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Should I join the Mercedes family?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 11:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 BMW F30 (328i) Sport Line
Should I join the Mercedes family?

Hello all! I am new to this forum and looking forward to hearing all of your opinions and comments! I currently drive a 2009 BMW 335i coupe (jet black w/ coral red/black leather interior + aluminum trim). I love the car, but I'm up for something new, different, and fresh. I've noticed a lot of things that Mercedes has been doing lately and I'm taking a liking to it... especially the E coupe/cab and the new C coupe.

A) Is it worth the extra dough to jump from the C to the E (coupe or future cab)

B) Has anyone switched from BMW to Mercedes---comments?

Thank you all and I look forward to hearing from you all.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:50 PM

11 E550 Cabriolet
Originally Posted by Ryan9095
Hello all! I am new to this forum and looking forward to hearing all of your opinions and comments! I currently drive a 2009 BMW 335i coupe (jet black w/ coral red/black leather interior + aluminum trim). I love the car, but I'm up for something new, different, and fresh. I've noticed a lot of things that Mercedes has been doing lately and I'm taking a liking to it... especially the E coupe/cab and the new C coupe.

A) Is it worth the extra dough to jump from the C to the E (coupe or future cab)

B) Has anyone switched from BMW to Mercedes---comments?

Thank you all and I look forward to hearing from you all.
Sounds like you already have a nice ride in your BMW. I've never owned a BMW but those I know who have owned them either love BMW or think they are garbage due to issues they've experienced on early 335's with twin turbo and more recently issues with BMW 8 speed trans.

That said this is my 2nd MB (1st was CLK500) and have nothing but positive things to say about my experiences with both cars so far. My current ride drives like a dream and I have an ear to ear smile when tooling down the roads. It has all the options I need (Nav, BT, Sat radio, HD radio, CD changer, Air Scarf, etc). Also neither my current car or the old one are daily drivers and typically only come out on clear weather days.

As far as service keep in mind MB stopped free scheduled maintenance after MY2004 so you will pay and pay dearly for service if you go through MB. Figure about $250 for 1st service (A) which is basically an oil and filter change, wipers & air filters along with an inspection of many drive-line components. You can also expect to pay in the neighborhood of $5 - $600 for 2nd service (B) where they do everything in the (A) service plus a brake fluid replacement and some other items. These services are then repeated for year 3 -4. If you interested in understanding service items check the W212 forum as they have complete maintenance schedule for W212 and W207 posted there.

As far as going for C or E I'm biased towards the E for obvious reasons. The C line has it's place but remember it's MB's low end line and many of the options are "ala carte" and quality on the C many say isn't as good as it should be.

If you have the funds and don't need the 300+ hp I would say go for an in stock 2011 E350 Cabriolet as MB is cutting some very good deals on these as the 2012 E350's are here and dealers need to move 2011 inventory.
Old 07-23-2011, 09:14 PM

2012 BMW F30 (328i) Sport Line
Rhampar thanks so much! I've been one of the lucky ones... on my second BMW and have never had a problem! Back to the Benz, I feel comforted by the fact that it's dreamy ride seems to compensate with that of BMW. I'm glad you mentioned service... had no idea you had to pay. BMW is practically free for everything so I definitely need to do some research in that department. Thanks for the advise
Old 07-24-2011, 12:03 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
2012 E350 Coupe
Originally Posted by Ryan9095
Rhampar thanks so much! I've been one of the lucky ones... on my second BMW and have never had a problem! Back to the Benz, I feel comforted by the fact that it's dreamy ride seems to compensate with that of BMW. I'm glad you mentioned service... had no idea you had to pay. BMW is practically free for everything so I definitely need to do some research in that department. Thanks for the advise
If you are planning on ordering a '12 model, you can order pre-paid maintenance for various lengths of time - 2 to 5 years, I believe. MB discounts the overall cost a bit and you are protected against inflation. Of course, you are putting out a lump sum at the beginning that you will not have for other purposes. Or you can add it into any financing arrangements for the car you may wish to make. Check the mbusa.com website for the car you are interested in, for details and pricing.

I imagine you can also do this with a car you purchase out of stock.

Further, since the various pre-paid plans have an ordering code the same as any accessory or package you order, you can haggle to have the cost included in the discount you negotiate on the MSRP.

Last edited by BenzMan369; 07-24-2011 at 06:06 PM.
Old 07-30-2011, 11:53 PM

2012 CLS63 AMG
I had been a loyal BMW fan. I had 325i, 635csi, 535i, 2 generations of 7 series and I still drive a 745i. I recently switched to Mercedes and probably will not buy a BMW for a while.

The reason is I do not like where BMW is going. In my opinion, I think they are getting uglier inside and out. It is no longer the driver's car. Look at the new 5 series, steering is numb and just not exciting. I think it has a lot to do which their change of design philosophy and chief designer!

On the other hand, Mercedes has been doing everything right in the past 2 years. My wife has a C200 and I bought a E350 Coupe. I have to report that I am very happy with both. Everything is very refined and looks great too! I like it so much that I am waiting delivery of the new CLS63 AMG.

I used to despise Mercedes being a BMW fan but I guess the reverse is true for me now.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:47 AM

E350 Coupe
I own a 2010 E350 with P2, Apperance Package, Wood Wheel and Shifter. It's black with the almond interior. I am very pleased with the car...it's my first Mercedes (went through a period of buy American...Cadillacs) but i'm a coupe guy (Infiniti G35) black also and when Mercedes brought out the E coupe, just loved the overall look. For the last week I was driving a loaner C300 Sport Sedan. These cars share the same chassis but that's where it stops. They feel and drive like totally different cars. The C is much smaller feeling both inside and out. The overall quality of the interior in the E is also noticeable. I'd take a look at both but I feel the E is the way to go.
Old 07-31-2011, 04:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Euro Cars Only
I went from Audi to BMW to AMG. Actually had a MB (W163) before the Audi's.

If I were in your shoes stuck deciding between C coupe & E coupe I would opt for the E. My cousin drives a C63 and I was really disappointed by the interior, finish, quality and the general way everything felt.
If you were to opt for the E coupe I am pretty sure it would be a nice end enjoyable upgrade coming from a 335i whereas C coupe you would be in the same league or might even regret ditching your 335i for it. The E def has a less sporty feel but much smoother & comfortable ride.

You can get nice a good deal on a '11 E550 Coupe.