E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Do you let your car warm up before you drive?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 07:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Eclass Cabriolet A207
Do you let your car warm up before you drive?

was just wondering if its good for the engine to warm up before driving away. (especially on cold winter mornings)

i know these new engines may not have the need but wanted some advice from some other fellow eclass owners.

regards

Alex
Old 11-22-2011, 09:05 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'12 E550C, Sierra Denali
I believe it's best to drive gently until all components are to temp. It's not just the engine, but all of the moving parts that need to come to operating temp: rear axle, bearings, transmission, etc.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:55 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
B8.5 Audi S5 3.0 TFSI Coupe
Yeah I let mine warm up and cool down on every trip
Old 11-22-2011, 03:58 PM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
For modern cars like our C207/A207, after starting the engine, when the oil pressure is 'up', I start driving the car gently (mostly just means driving it normally, no hard acceleration nor very high revving) 'at least' until the engine temperature gauge shows it is in its operating range.

In my other car, it has an oil temperature gauge, so I would also wait till the oil temperature rises to the operating range (from my experience it can take as much as 10 to 15 minutes, depends on the weather or my driving) before I would drive the car spiritually.

With best regards,
Old 11-24-2011, 03:16 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
2012 E350 Coupe
Originally Posted by axhoaxho
For modern cars like our C207/A207, after starting the engine, when the oil pressure is 'up', I start driving the car gently (mostly just means driving it normally, no hard acceleration nor very high revving) 'at least' until the engine temperature gauge shows it is in its operating range.

In my other car, it has an oil temperature gauge, so I would also wait till the oil temperature rises to the operating range (from my experience it can take as much as 10 to 15 minutes, depends on the weather or my driving) before I would drive the car spiritually.

With best regards,
I'm guessing you meant to say spiritedly but I have to say, if you did make a typo, that word works for me nonetheless. Now that I've broken in the engine and can unleash it from time to time, it's a bit of a religious experience!

My warmup driving style is pretty much same as yours, except on extremely cold days, when I'll give it a little time at idle, especially if the seat heaters haven't done their work yet and the interior is too cold to sit in. Not usually a problem unless the car was not garaged for several hours prior to driving.
Old 11-24-2011, 04:57 PM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by BenzMan369
I'm guessing you meant to say spiritedly but I have to say, if you did make a typo, that word works for me nonetheless. Now that I've broken in the engine and can unleash it from time to time, it's a bit of a religious experience!
Ha ha... Yes, I did mean 'spiritedly.' Amen

And Happy Thanksgiving to everyone here in the forum.

With best regards,