E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

RENNtech M278 twin turbo 4.6 liter V8 ECU tune upgrade - +70 horsepower, 530 crank ho

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 07:36 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'12 E550C, Sierra Denali
Originally Posted by Raygt3
Just got my ECU back from Renntech, dramatic difference. Had the dealership handle everything, charged me 1 hour labor. Figured it was cheap insurance, gets me out of the loop should any issues come up. Great service, great results. Dealer assured me there were no warante related issues tied to the upgrade. Actually prretty comfortable with this and everyone's approach. Geez, glad I went to fat 19" tires. In sport mode the car will really get your attention. The change in "tip in" is pretty obvious.
Awesome Ray! What's your 0-60 time now?
Thanks
Due
Old 04-04-2012, 09:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 E550 Cab
Originally Posted by Dueclaws
Awesome Ray! What's your 0-60 time now?
Thanks
Due

Have no idea, not a drag racer. Been road racing since I was a kid, mostly Corvettes and Porsches, which is more than a few years ago. Don't get me wrong, I do appreciate the straight line speed, just enjoy driving the car around town and like the idea it'll go like stink if the need should arise. But without over analyzing the change, I do feel it was a worth while investment. I'm happy with the performance gain and have had zero problems. Maybe not for everyone but as I said, I like it.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:24 AM

'12 E550C, Sierra Denali
Ray-
I'm not a drag racer either; my racing was with boats for many years and all my racing is history now, but have my big offshore cat with 1,800 hp for "fun" (very expensive fun....).

The 0-60 is just a comparison-reference for me.

Thanks for the information about the tune; I'm more anxious than ever to get it done.
John
Old 04-05-2012, 12:02 PM

2012 E550 Cab
John,
Like boats as well, most of my big water experience was on my uncles converted plywood WWII PT boat. Did some sport fishing out of Cape May NJ. Always had an attraction to cats, these guys are very sea worthy but I guess I don't have to tell you that.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:55 AM

'12 E550C, Sierra Denali
Ray-
Another MBZ owner asked these questions about the RENNtech tune: can you give your opinion, please?
a) Is the street drive-ability compromised in any way?
b) What about the slight turbo lag I often experience at light throttle... can (is) that be eliminated?
c) Are the transmission shift points altered in either the economy or sport mode?
d) Is the speed governor eliminated?
e) How is the fuel economy impacted?

Thanks!
Old 04-08-2012, 11:31 AM

2012 E550 Cab
Originally Posted by Dueclaws
Ray-
Another MBZ owner asked these questions about the RENNtech tune: can you give your opinion, please?
a) Is the street drive-ability compromised in any way?
b) What about the slight turbo lag I often experience at light throttle... can (is) that be eliminated?
c) Are the transmission shift points altered in either the economy or sport mode?
d) Is the speed governor eliminated?
e) How is the fuel economy impacted?

Thanks!
a) The most noticable change was the throttle tip in, seems more immediate and almost exaggerated in sport mode in normal mode it as you might expect. But to answer directly the change, to this point hasn't negatively impacted day to day driving. Except to say maybe a bit more fun.
b) As to turbo lag, it's probablly as responsive as possible and still have a turbo. I am suspect of someone that tells me they have a performance turbo and has "no" lag. Lag is part and parcel to the turbo.
c) I don't believe the shift points have been altered, could be wrong but don't think so.
d) Also believe the speed governor/rev-limiter are still intact, as they would tie directly to warante implications.
e) As many have stated, the mileage might be a bit better but dip into the throttle a bit more so it's probablly a wash. But certainly no losses.

My two cents....
Old 04-08-2012, 12:15 PM

'12 E550C, Sierra Denali
Thanks Ray
Old 04-10-2012, 11:09 AM

'12 E550C, Sierra Denali
The following is in response (from RENNtech) to a question on another site re the RENNtech tune for the M278 engine:

"The M278 4.7L V8 Biturbo with a tune will actually perform better all around with the increase(d) torque. Usually customers with heavier 4matics such as S, ML & CL class will notice great(er) initial drive dynamics acceleration increase from stock. It will be comparable in performance acceleration of similar AMG63 class w/o PP biturbo cars. Some other points:

1) Fuel economy will remain same if you can drive the same way after the tune.
2) Speed limiter can be raised upon customer request
3) Transmission adaptation shift points remains same in Comfort or Sport mode.
4) Tune are available (for) optional high flow kat downpipes, and/or modified ECO mode stop start at no additional charge."

Last edited by Dueclaws; 04-10-2012 at 12:11 PM.