E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Improving upon the Premium Audio

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 02:35 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
'13 S5 Coupe
Improving upon the Premium Audio

New the forum, and soon to be new to the marque. As my username indicates, I intend on acquiring an E350C4, probably 2013 model. The other day, I test drove both the C and E Coupes which helped to confirm my choice between the two. The issue I have ... even though the HK Logic7 system comes across better than your standard/upgraded Bose systems, I'm still not all that impressed by the overall sonic range ... mainly the upper end, which considering the only tonal controls you have are the equivalent to a trebble and base pot isn't very surprising. I was hoping to be able to get away from spending $'s on aftermarket upgrades, but it appears I may not be able to avoid this afterall since there is nothing more detailed (like a hidden menu eq) than the two sliders. I did a quick search in this and the Audio Forums, but didn't find anything specific to the topic. So, my question would be what, if anything, has anybody done to improve the overall sound coming out of the HK systems? Not wanting to rebuild the complete audio system (although when I first opened the trunk my first thoughts went to the room which could accomodate aftermarket amps etc), but something that could allow for finer tweaks to the listening environment. By comparison, I remember how impressed I was with the HK non Logic 7 system in the (then) new 2nd Gen SLKs I looked at, but I believe that system sounded much cleaner than what I heard the other day. This would only apply to the current E model Coupes. Tks for your comments/insights.
Old 03-15-2012, 02:40 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
2010 E550 coupe
There are some eq settings in the engineering mode menus. However, they appear to require you to load the data from a memory card or attached USB storage device and I have no idea what format that would be in.
Whether adjusting the eq is going to go far enough is also another matter entirely.
Old 03-15-2012, 04:24 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
2012 E350 Coupe
Welcome to the forum. A few random thoughts:

Before you get into the guts of Comand to make system mods, just wondering if you were able to take enough time to fiddle with the demos' controls. Or if perhaps some other test driver beat you to it and left the controls adversely adjusted.

In addition to the basic treble and bass, there are balance and fader options. Adjusting them can also affect the sound's presence and brilliance. For example, if set to emphasize sub sound towards the rear, the overall effect may be somewhat muffled.

Since you're looking at getting a 2013, perhaps it would be best to wait until either you have your car or one is available for demo-ing. While unlikely, you never know what changes MB may make in the new model.

At any rate, I for one am pleased with the car's sound, although it varies with the input media. For example, sound from a quality disc seems better to me than radio sound.

To be fair, it sounds nothing like my home theater system which, of course, is not a reasonable comparison. Also, while many like me are satisfied, I have indeed read reports from others similar to your own.

Hope you're driving the new one asap, which I imagine isn't soon enough for you.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:28 PM

'13 S5 Coupe
I brought my own CDs to demo ... including such offerings as "If you don't know me by now" off of Simply Reds GH's ... most everything from Dire Straights 'Brothers in Arms' ... "Beethoven (I love to listen to)" from the Eurythmics 'Savage' ... and especially "The Dude" from the Quincy Jones CD of the same name ... songs/CDs which provide a fair representation of the type of music I listen to and have enough flexibility to test the overall capabilities of the system. I did adjust all of the AUDIO controls, although once the fader and balance controls were set they were pretty much locked in. I did like how the Logic 7 made its presence felt, although it seemed to enhance the rear/side staging in the both Coupes as opposed to the way my MS-8 dramatically improves frontal staging in my (soon to be replaced by an E350C4) TL.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:02 PM

2012 E350 Coupe
You certainly came to the demos well prepared and gave the audio a thorough workout. You are serious about sound.

I did like how the Logic 7 made its presence felt, although it seemed to enhance the rear/side staging
Yes, I agree.
Old 06-23-2012, 02:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 E350 Coupe
While quite late in posting a reply/comment for this thread, I would like to ask you guys if you have also noticed a "tinny" distorted sound from the higher frequencies that seem in the Satellite Radio mode primarily, not in the CD/Media Interface/Radio mode. This distortion is most accentuated while hearing acoustic guitar and percussion as well as voice. It sounds much like what one hears during a poor digital transmission. I have the upgraded HK Logic premium sound sytem. I have taken it to the dealer but they state that other E-class vehicles have similar output, but I find it hard to believe that a vehicle this expensive has sound output inferior to my daughter's Hyundai. Moreover, there is no frequency equalizer to perhaps compensate for the system's shortcoming, just trebel & bass. Not sure if its only my vehicle, in which case I would more forcefully demand a remedy from my dealer. Thanks for your input in advance.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:50 PM

2012 E350 Coupe
Originally Posted by Ibenzthere
While quite late in posting a reply/comment for this thread, I would like to ask you guys if you have also noticed a "tinny" distorted sound from the higher frequencies that seem in the Satellite Radio mode primarily, not in the CD/Media Interface/Radio mode. This distortion is most accentuated while hearing acoustic guitar and percussion as well as voice. It sounds much like what one hears during a poor digital transmission. I have the upgraded HK Logic premium sound sytem. I have taken it to the dealer but they state that other E-class vehicles have similar output, but I find it hard to believe that a vehicle this expensive has sound output inferior to my daughter's Hyundai. Moreover, there is no frequency equalizer to perhaps compensate for the system's shortcoming, just trebel & bass. Not sure if its only my vehicle, in which case I would more forcefully demand a remedy from my dealer. Thanks for your input in advance.
Welcome to the forum. I like your "screen name." Quite clever.

I have not noticed any tinniness with either music or voice. Most of my recent Sirrius time is spent split between the classical and B.B. King Blues channels. Also haven't really cranked up the audio lately either.

What channels are you listening to when the problem is observed? I'll listen more closely and see what happens.

Old 06-24-2012, 09:07 PM

2010 E350 Coupe
Thanks re "screen name". I listen mostly to Spectrum & Alt Nation as well as The Loft. I have also noticed that I have to raise the volume considerably when switching from any other mode to Sat Radio and do just the inverse when switching back from Sat Radio. While I get enough deep base frequency, the mid-range appears to be almost absent. There is NO dynamic range. I really need to resolve this prior to warranty expiration which is why I'm posting on this thread. Thanks for reply.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:31 PM

2012 E350 Coupe
Thumbs up

OK. I just finished about an hour of critical listening.

To be fair, I did a significant upgrade of the home theater system only a few months ago. This has "skewed my ears" a bit, in that the HK car system does not sound as dynamic to me as it did prior. That's to be expected.

Getting back to Sirrius and the HK system, I can detect no tinniness nor any distortion, even at considerably high audio levels.

No significant change in audio level when switching between Sirrius channels nor between Sirrius and other audio sources. The one exception is playing discs. Discs seem to provide slightly better dynamic range and are a bit louder before adjustment.

I did notice a little mid-frequency weakness, or perhaps it's better to say treble and bass emphasis on the 3 channels you provided. I did not notice it on my usual blues and classical channels, nor on a couple of others I tried at random. I'm not sure I would have noticed it on those 3 channels either, had you not mentioned it, but it was there. It was not so dramatic that I would cite it as flawed audio.

All of my observations are of course subjective; someone else may hear things differently. However, if you are in fact detecting tinniness and distortion, that should not be there.

If your problem does not lie with Sirrius itself, then try to isolate where the tinniness/distortion is coming from. Listen up close to all the speakers for a bad one. As you know, they're all over the place in these cars. Don't forget the high-fq. ones near the side view mirrors. It would be odd to have tinny/distorted sound from just one input source, if the speakers were at fault, however.

Beyond that, these cars are so electronically complex I think you'd be best served by professional diagnostics. It could be a problem with an amp, but who knows?

You could also visit a dealer and listen to Sirrius in an in-stock car, if you can find a similar one available conveniently, either a 350C or 550C would do.

Would also be interesting to know if others listening to those Sirrius channels share your complaint. If you get no further responses here, why don't you also try posting over in the W212 thread? Significantly more people post there than here.

Wish I could be of more help. Please keep us posted.

Best of luck getting it sorted.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:33 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 E550 Coupe
Originally Posted by Ibenzthere
I would like to ask you guys if you have also noticed a "tinny" distorted sound from the higher frequencies that seem in the Satellite Radio mode primarily,
It's a function of reduced data quality, generally due to atmospheric or other environmental conditions. When signal interference exists, the system "skips" bits (if you're familiar with UDP protocol, it's very similar). This results in a tinny sound. I've heard it on several occasions, but only with broadcast digital signals, both satellite and HD radio. When you have a good, strong signal with no interference, the quality of the music is quite good.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:08 PM

'13 S5 Coupe
don't forget the role that compression plays. the observation that the discs sound better than satellite is to be expected ... same can be said when comparing discs to MP3's. and to take it to the audiophile extreme ... same can be said when comparing CD's to vinyl ... but this is a whole different discussion.
Old 06-26-2012, 01:40 PM

2010 E350 Coupe
Thanks so much for the replies, especially for BenzMan's trouble of checking his system. It seems to me that mine is a unique problem to my car. At least not ubiquitous. Will take your advise for W212 thread. Seems I'll need to return to the dealer for a more assertive demand for resolution.
Old 07-01-2012, 03:53 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
E550C
Can anyone post the rear-deck removal procedure? I want to get at this sub and experiment but don't want to rip it all apart doing it.