E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

New Mercedes Owner

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 02:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
350 coupe e class
New Mercedes Owner

Hello,
I just purchased a 2011 350 E class Black on Black .... It has the stock 17" rims.
I thought of Getting the AMG 18" wheels and also my back windiows with a 35% tint.

I 'm in California and we can't have our front/side windows tinted ...
I thought in the back/side and rear, it would still look better than none at all.. But the tint company owner said it would look "bad"on the coupe without tinting all the windows. That's my first question, any Owners have experience in tinting just the back areas and asthetically how it looks?( I thought with the black paint and 35%, it would transition nicely and still be classy.

The last question has to do with replacing the wheels. I have researched several sites and stores regarding new rims and it seems the price to replace all 4 with the AMG wheels with tires etc would be approx. 2500-3000.
I want to stick to original Mercedes wheels.

My problem is the current wheels and tires are basically new, are there any places that give a fair exchange? I was quoted only $700 from one of the stores. Do you have any experience with being able to sell or exchange wheels, and can you suggest other less expensive ways to go that still are OEM and nice looking ?
thanks
Old 04-10-2012, 11:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 E350, 2012 SL550
Originally Posted by Miket111
I 'm in California and we can't have our front/side windows tinted ...
I thought in the back/side and rear, it would still look better than none at all.. But the tint company owner said it would look "bad"on the coupe without tinting all the windows.
I'm with your tint company on this. Even having different % on front and rear looks bad IMHO.

Since your tint guy is losing business from this advice, I think you can trust it as totally objective.

Regards,
Don
Old 04-10-2012, 05:07 PM

350 coupe e class
thanks

Thank you for the response - I have the panoramic sunroof I would like to tint just the rear window, your thoughts
thanks
Old 04-10-2012, 06:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2004 CLK320
Here in Toronto, we are allowed 35% tint in the front windows and no restriction on the rear. I did entertain the idea to have 35% for the front and 20% in the rear. I then decided against this for the risk of being tacky.

Don't know where you are located. If you ever need winter tires, you may consider using these 17-inch as winter wheels. The only option is to sell them privately, the stores will not give you good prices.

Last edited by mis3; 04-10-2012 at 06:58 PM.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 E350, 2012 SL550
Thank you for the response - I have the panoramic sunroof I would like to tint just the rear window, your thoughts
thanks
I think the rear window being tinted could stand alone just fine.

Regards,
Don
Old 04-10-2012, 10:22 PM

2012 E350 Coupe
Originally Posted by mis3
Here in Toronto, we are allowed 35% tint in the front windows and no restriction on the rear. I did entertain the idea to have 35% for the front and 20% in the rear. I then decided against this for the risk of being tacky.

Don't know where you are located. If you ever need winter tires, you may consider using these 17-inch as winter wheels. The only option is to sell them privately, the stores will not give you good prices.
I am from Toronto as well but the cops are pretty easy on the tint if you do not go overboard. My friend picked up a 2012 3 Series coupe, and the dealers tinted it for him with 20% all around and has had no problem at all. I myself want to get my e coupe tinted with 25% all around. I think cops are more likely to pull you over if you are speeding rather then tint.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:24 AM

350 coupe e class

Thanks for those replys and talking to others, they too suggest the police are more tolerant. I think its more than just being pulled over, i can imagine if there is an accident and the other party uses that as one reason to blame liability.
Im still torn between doing 35% rear and back or just back at 20%
Its a Black on Black car
Old 04-11-2012, 12:30 AM

2012 E350 Coupe
Thanks for those replys and talking to others, they too suggest the police are more tolerant. I think its more than just being pulled over, i can imagine if there is an accident and the other party uses that as one reason to blame liability.
Im still torn between doing 35% rear and back or just back at 20%
Its a Black on Black car
Thats true as well. You do have a point. Mine is black on black as well and I really think if you are gonna tint it go one colour all around. I agree with everyone else saying if you keep the front and back 2 different colours it looks terrible. Saw one today actually! A black on black coupe with 2 different colours.