E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Gas Mileage on my New E550 Cab

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 12:51 PM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
SL 500
Gas Mileage on my New E550 Cab

I just returned from my round trip to the Mecum auto auction in Indianapolis from my home in Herndon VA and wanted to share the gas mileage. Total trip was 1247 miles (mostly highway at 65-75 mph) and according to the computer the mileage was 27.5 mpg! I was pleasantly surprised. Car ran like a dream - smooth and powerful when it was needed.
Old 05-22-2012, 01:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 E550 Coupe
Originally Posted by Rocketman
I just returned from my round trip to the Mecum auto auction in Indianapolis from my home in Herndon VA and wanted to share the gas mileage. Total trip was 1247 miles (mostly highway at 65-75 mph) and according to the computer the mileage was 27.5 mpg! I was pleasantly surprised. Car ran like a dream - smooth and powerful when it was needed.
Does not surprise me, the 550 gives some great gas mileage if you are careful. I have a picture on my phone of my car averaging 31mpg @ 70mph over 11 highway miles. Only have 11 miles of highway from work to home but I could have gone on that same road for hours with the same mpg. Really awesome!
Old 05-22-2012, 01:39 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'12 E550C, Sierra Denali
Originally Posted by np888
Does not surprise me, the 550 gives some great gas mileage if you are careful. Really awesome!
+1 (2012 E550 C)

Last edited by Dueclaws; 05-22-2012 at 03:56 PM.
Old 05-22-2012, 01:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 E550 coupe
Here in DC Area

Originally Posted by Rocketman

Hey Rocketman,

Is that where you pick up your cars? I'm lookin into going to an auction....just curious and i hve some extra cash the wife doesn't knwo about... might buy me a bike...

I live in DC not that far from Herdon VA

Let me know when there is a meet in the Area or just local MB get together..
Old 05-22-2012, 06:18 PM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
SL 500
ACWorld34 - I have bought and sold cars at Barrett-Jackson over the past several years and have become dissatisfied with there approach to the hobby - they are too much about the glitz/lifestyle stuff and less about the cars. I have gone to several Mecum auctions recently and they have an approach that is more to my liking. But no matter where you go you need to be prepared - read about the car(s) you are interested in, research them on line, join forums (like this one) and do go to your first one to buy a car. Take your time. When you are ready, pick an auction that has the car or cars you are looking for, get there early and really check the out - bring a small flashlight and a camera. Talk to the owner, ask him or her to operate all the lights, horn, and other accessories. Check to see if the "numbers matching" is really all true - check the motor, the carb, the distributor, the gear box, and the rear end. Spend time looking under the car to see if it is leaking fluid as it drives up to the auction block. These are just some of the things I have learned over the past few years.
As to a meet - there is a great Cars and Coffee every Sat morning from 7 to 9 am in Great Falls VA at a pub called Katie's - Google it for more info. I am there at least one or twice a month if the weather is OK. PM me if you need more info. And don't keep the extra cash hidden from your wife - that never works out.