E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Performance mods effect on appearance - to sleep or not to sleep

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 09:00 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 E550 Coupe
Performance mods effect on appearance - to sleep or not to sleep

I'm planning to make some performance mods to my car once an LSD for M278 models is available. In the meantime, I'm shopping for wheels/tires and other simple changes that won't mess with the drive train.

On the wheel front, I've found both 18" and 19" wheels that will work fine. Internally, I'm debating whether to go with the 18" wheels that will allow for 255 fronts and 285 rears, or the 19" that will reduce the size to 245 and 275, respectively. I'm also leaning towards a factory look (I like being a sleeper), and I can go either direction without anyone really noticing that I've changed wheels. In my opinion, the 18" solution will offer better grip off the line and more lateral friction, while the 19" solution is likely to handle better.

Enter my buddy. He thinks I should stand out from the crowd and get something that's obviously aftermarket. He votes 19", but not for performance reasons. I am torn - I've seen some great looking wheels that I think would be awesome.

The other mod I'm debating is aerodynamic. I won't do it just for looks - it has to be functional. I haven't had an opportunity to take my car to a road course yet - that's coming in the fall. Anyone know if the coupe has downforce issues? Anyone get to a speed where they can tell? Any suggestions for a functional downforce rear lid spoiler, splitter, front spoiler, etc.?

Every other mod I'm looking at (engine, transmission, diff, etc.) will be hidden when the hood is down. Thoughts? Opinions? Suggestions? Pictures?

Last edited by nawlinstornado; 06-13-2012 at 09:02 AM.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:23 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'12 E550C, Sierra Denali
Personal choices, IMHO.
Example: I like the solid 5 spoke AMG wheels, but my wife thinks all 5 spokes are too common: she prefers custom.
18" offer more protection from potholes, but there are more custom options in 19".

Aero? We're not going to a road course so probably won't add anything to add downforce. If you do, use items that look like they belong: not some awful wing on the back.

The hidden stuff is cool! The items you listed for mods make sense, except the transmission. I believe the only change needed there is to firm up shifting, which might be done during your tune.

Have you badged (V8 BITURBO) your car yet? This is not being a "poser" because we have the M278.
https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-c...2-26-11-a.html

Last edited by Dueclaws; 06-13-2012 at 09:37 AM.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:59 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 E550 Coupe
Originally Posted by Dueclaws
Personal choices, IMHO.
Example: I like the solid 5 spoke AMG wheels, but my wife thinks all 5 spokes are too common: she prefers custom.
18" offer more protection from potholes, but there are more custom options in 19".
Surprisingly, the difference in sidewall height is not as much as I expected. The 19" solution is only .27" less. And while you'd expect a big speedometer error, it's really only 1.8 percent (1mph at 60).

Aero? We're not going to a road course so probably won't add anything to add downforce. If you do, use items that look like they belong: not some awful wing on the back.
I am planning for road courses, and I'm buying Y-rated tires for that purpose. Not saying I have any personal experience, but the car is extremely stable at the limiter (135mph) - or at least the 2011 was. But a lot can happen above that speed: air vortices, compression zones, etc.

The hidden stuff is cool! The items you listed for mods make sense, except the transmission. I believe the only change needed there is to firm up shifting, which might be done during your tune.
My concern with the transmission is ensuring that it can handle added power and a good flogging on a road course. A tune can help with the shifting, but I'm sure I'll have to add a transmission cooler - or if it already has one, upgrade it - to deal with heat. I'm leary of unnecessary upgrades, so changing out the transmission internals will likely happen at failure time.

Have you badged (V8 BITURBO) your car yet? This is not being a "poser" because we have the M278.
No, and I probably won't. I have plans to remove the stupid "BlueEfficiency" badges as well as the E550 designation.

Last edited by nawlinstornado; 06-13-2012 at 10:03 AM.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:00 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'12 E550C, Sierra Denali
Cool! Keep us posted with your upgrades, please.