E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Blind Spot Assist automatically switched off

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 11:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S205 C250 Sport prem+ Airmatic / E220 CDI Coupe / Lexus RX400h
Blind Spot Assist automatically switched off

Hi - Has anyone had any problems with the Blind Spot Assist? Mine turned itself off on the M6 motorway last week. The triangles on both mirrors went Orange and I got a warning on my dash saying 'Blind Spot Assist deactivated - see your owners manual'. When I scrolled through the on-dash menus, Blind Spot Assist was in red with no option to turn off/on.

About 10 minutes later, the orange triangles went off. When I scrolled to the menu options, I was able to turn Blind Spot Assist off and then on again, so it had automatically reactivated itself.

I took my car into my local dealer, but after 2 hours of investigation, they said they couldn't fine a problem and there were no Diagnostic Trouble Codes on the system. They looked to see if there was a downloadable update for the system, but I have the latest installed apparently.

Blind spot assist has since worked fine until today. I've travelled several hundred miles back and forth on the M62 with no problem. However today I drove onto the M6 from Manchester and as per last week, the Blind Spot Assist turned itself off. Could there be some interference from other radar equipment on the M6 overloading the car's radar detection? I don't know how BSA works, I presume is sends out a radar 'ping' and detects the rebound, so could some more powerful fixed radar overload the system?

I don't want to take the car back to the garage for no reason (it's been in for a faulty ABS sensor twice already), but I've found the BSA really useful, especially when moving to the nearside, it's saved me a couple of times when traffic has been undertaking me. But if the system can't be relied upon, then I might as well turn it off.

Thanks for any help you can give.
JP
Old 11-07-2012, 11:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 C350 coupe; 2013 ML350
I just had the same happen to me. The SUV is 4 days old.

Did you ever get any confirmation on what the issue was and the resolution?

thanks
Old 11-07-2012, 11:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S205 C250 Sport prem+ Airmatic / E220 CDI Coupe / Lexus RX400h
My main dealer said they had checked with MB in Germany. The BSA is linked to the GPS and the police can request that in certain areas, based upon GPS location and/or postcode, the BSA is switched off.

There was no explanation of why the police would request this, how BSA could interfere with any police systems, or what areas are affected. Basically, it's at the whim of the police and the dealer isn't interested in progressing any further.

I've found that the BSA switches itself off between Jodrell Bank and the M6, which are about 10 miles apart. So it's not limited to a small section of road/motorway.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 C350 coupe; 2013 ML350
Originally Posted by JurassicPark
My main dealer said they had checked with MB in Germany. The BSA is linked to the GPS and the police can request that in certain areas, based upon GPS location and/or postcode, the BSA is switched off.

There was no explanation of why the police would request this, how BSA could interfere with any police systems, or what areas are affected. Basically, it's at the whim of the police and the dealer isn't interested in progressing any further.

I've found that the BSA switches itself off between Jodrell Bank and the M6, which are about 10 miles apart. So it's not limited to a small section of road/motorway.
that's interesting, thanks...I live in St. Louis. My wife has the car at the service department now. I will write back if there is something else diagnosed.