E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

E550 Lowered/Chrome-Side Markers Painted/Jammer Installed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 11:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E 550 Coupe
E550 Lowered/Chrome-Side Markers Painted/Jammer Installed

Lowered with Eibach Pro-Kit and Blinder HP-905 Laser Jammer Installed. Painted Chrome window/trunk trim and side markers in gloss black.

Old 10-01-2012, 11:22 AM

E 550 Coupe
Old 10-01-2012, 12:49 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'12 E550C, Sierra Denali
Nice.
What effect did the Eibach Pro-Kit have on the Dynamic Suspension?
Thanks
Old 10-01-2012, 01:12 PM

E 550 Coupe
The side marker with lights on.

Old 10-01-2012, 01:51 PM

E 550 Coupe
Originally Posted by Dueclaws
Nice.
What effect did the Eibach Pro-Kit have on the Dynamic Suspension?
Thanks
None that I am aware with. I think The Dynamic Handling suspension is electronically-adjustable shock absorbers as well as modified throttle response.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:59 PM

BMW F10 M5
The finishing touch!

Originally Posted by Bum1
Lowered with Eibach Pro-Kit
I like!!! Just what that beautiful car needed. Looks like about an 1 1/2" to 2" drop? Nice to have your before pictures to compare. Have you driven it long enough to judge the handling difference, is it more taut and a little firmer ride? I was thinking of the KW coil overs but think for street driving and even an occasional track day they're overkill. Unless the Eibachs are too soft for performance driving.......I hope not. Oh, any alignment necessary?

By the way, I checked with Babycheeks and was told that when the KW coil overs were installed, the Dynamic suspension defaulted to Sport mode, on the dash anyway. Was told there was no plug in electrical gizmo to fool the computer, the shock wires were just left unconnected.
Old 10-01-2012, 03:27 PM

E 550 Coupe
Originally Posted by Used2be
I like!!! Just what that beautiful car needed. Looks like about an 1 1/2" to 2" drop? Nice to have your before pictures to compare. Have you driven it long enough to judge the handling difference, is it more taut and a little firmer ride? I was thinking of the KW coil overs but think for street driving and even an occasional track day they're overkill. Unless the Eibachs are too soft for performance driving.......I hope not. Oh, any alignment necessary?

By the way, I checked with Babycheeks and was told that when the KW coil overs were installed, the Dynamic suspension defaulted to Sport mode, on the dash anyway. Was told there was no plug in electrical gizmo

to fool the computer, the shock wires were just left unconnected.

The drop was 1 1/2 inch. And yes, it is more taut and just a little firmer ride. But, not much. Once the springs were installed a re-alignment was done.

Last edited by Bum1; 10-01-2012 at 03:30 PM.
Old 10-01-2012, 03:29 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'12 E550C, Sierra Denali
By the way, I checked with Babycheeks and was told that when the KW coil overs were installed, the Dynamic suspension defaulted to Sport mode, on the dash anyway. Was told there was no plug in electrical gizmo to fool the computer, the shock wires were just left unconnected.
no Dynamic if the wires were unconnected.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:08 PM

BMW F10 M5
Originally Posted by Dueclaws
no Dynamic if the wires were unconnected.
That makes sense to me, and I thought it odd that it would default to Sport, but is it possible the throttle and whatever else the suspension control computer regulates could be in Sport mode with the shocks out of the circuit? I wonder if the dealer can check for that with their tools? Probably can and I think it'd be worth knowing after going to the trouble and expense of the coil overs.

Last edited by Used2be; 10-01-2012 at 04:14 PM.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:28 PM

E 550 Coupe
These pictures show the lowering a little better.

Here is a pic from the REAR !!!!!!!!

Old 10-01-2012, 06:09 PM

BMW F10 M5
These pictures show the lowering a little better.

Here is a pic from the REAR !!!!!!!!

Couple more questions if you don't mind. First, how do the side marker lights look black until you turn the lights on and they show the original orange? Nice trick. Second, any rubbing from the tires over bumps or during hard cornering? Thirdly, I really like the orange rear end even though it hasn't lowered a millimeter! Nice firm ride I'm sure.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:47 PM

E 550 Coupe
Couple more questions if you don't mind. First, how do the side marker lights look black until you turn the lights on and they show the original orange? Nice trick. Second, any rubbing from the tires over bumps or during hard cornering? Thirdly, I really like the orange rear end even though it hasn't lowered a millimeter! Nice firm ride I'm sure.
I think they look great. They match the paint. I could not stand those orange side markers. No rubbing issues at all.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 E550 Coupe
How the hell did you get the HP-905 heads to sit like that? I had to cut my grill and even then they were such a tight fit to get them in????????
Old 10-01-2012, 08:25 PM

E 550 Coupe
Originally Posted by np888
How the hell did you get the HP-905 heads to sit like that? I had to cut my grill and even then they were such a tight fit to get them in????????
Thats strange. You would think we have the same grill. They fit perfect with no cutting of the grill and sit flush. The jammer has saved be twice already. First cop was standing by a tree with his laser gun. He looked at me when I passed him and just shook his head. Of course I smiled back.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:44 PM

2012 MB E350 Coupe
Very nice car, and I'd love to get that jammer! Unfortunately I'm in Tunisia, they don't sell it here... Nor I think it would work here...
Old 10-02-2012, 02:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 E550 Coupe
Thats strange. You would think we have the same grill. They fit perfect with no cutting of the grill and sit flush. The jammer has saved be twice already. First cop was standing by a tree with his laser gun. He looked at me when I passed him and just shook his head. Of course I smiled back.
From the pictures you posted what actually happened is the heads were jammed in between the silver/chrome grill pieces and the black flexible plastic pieces which are in between them.

There is nothing really wrong with doing this but neither of the current best laser jammer heads (Blinder 1/2 inch thick and Laser Interceptor 5/8 inch thick) will fit in the grill openings without some interference with the black recessed pieces in the grill.

The choice is then cut the black pieces or live with the long term deformation the black pieces will incur from being stretched long term. I'd go for not cutting anything.

I guess the black pieces are in there to prevent large objects from coming through the grill and into the radiator.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:39 PM

2012 E550 Coupe
Originally Posted by TerrorCrow
Very nice car, and I'd love to get that jammer! Unfortunately I'm in Tunisia, they don't sell it here... Nor I think it would work here...
You might take a look at the Laser Interceptor. They are designed and manufactured in Croatia so they may have a better handle on the LIDARS used in your part of the world.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:06 AM

2012 E550 Coupe
Originally Posted by ronsc1985
From the pictures you posted what actually happened is the heads were jammed in between the silver/chrome grill pieces and the black flexible plastic pieces which are in between them.

There is nothing really wrong with doing this but neither of the current best laser jammer heads (Blinder 1/2 inch thick and Laser Interceptor 5/8 inch thick) will fit in the grill openings without some interference with the black recessed pieces in the grill.

The choice is then cut the black pieces or live with the long term deformation the black pieces will incur from being stretched long term. I'd go for not cutting anything.

I guess the black pieces are in there to prevent large objects from coming through the grill and into the radiator.

The problem with that is you can't get them level by jamming them in the grill. I tried it myself but they were completely off. When it comes to jammers, they need to be perfectly straight. I would actually pull your jammer heads out further, the E coupe's lights and grill make it an easy target, the further forward you can bring those jammer heads the safer you are.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:19 AM

2012 E550 Coupe
Originally Posted by np888
The problem with that is you can't get them level by jamming them in the grill. I tried it myself but they were completely off. When it comes to jammers, they need to be perfectly straight. I would actually pull your jammer heads out further, the E coupe's lights and grill make it an easy target, the further forward you can bring those jammer heads the safer you are.

Seems to me you could have made shims to level them out since the plastic is really flexible.

As to moving them forward as I remember your photos they were really visible from outside the car. This is a risky proposition if you live in a locale with laws against jammers. The other installation was pretty well hidden.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:23 AM

2012 E550 Coupe
Seems to me you could have made shims to level them out since the plastic is really flexible.

As to moving them forward as I remember your photos they were really visible from outside the car. This is a risky proposition if you live in a locale with laws against jammers. The other installation was pretty well hidden.
Maybe I have a different grill or something because the plastic on mine was not flexible at all, and I did try, I even used pliars to see if I could open up the plastic a little, ended up having to use bolt cutters to cut it as even a dremmel wouldn't work.

But you're right, if you live in a place where they are illegal, I probably wouldn't even use them, don't need your car getting impounded. Luckily it's fine where I live.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:28 AM

E 550 Coupe

As you can see in my picture they are level. You should not mount the sensors deep behind the front grille or body work of the car. Mine are mounted flush to the grille. And, they have saved me a couple of times already.

Old 10-03-2012, 11:21 AM

2012 E550 Coupe
As you can see in my picture they are level. You should not mount the sensors deep behind the front grille or body work of the car. Mine are mounted flush to the grille. And, they have saved me a couple of times already.

Looks good to me. Did you have to shim them at all to make them level? Since I live in a place where they are illegal it would be best to hide the as much as possible.

I am thinking about getting a unit since the local cops have been using LIDAR more frequently lately. My illegal radar detector, mounted right on the dash by the driver side A pillar, always senses them when they are shooting but of course once I can sense them I'm already screwed if speeding. Fortunately they are creatures of habit and are always in the same places they were when shooting radar so I know where to slow down.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:31 AM

E 550 Coupe
Looks good to me. Did you have to shim them at all to make them level? Since I live in a place where they are illegal it would be best to hide the as much as possible.

I am thinking about getting a unit since the local cops have been using LIDAR more frequently lately. My illegal radar detector, mounted right on the dash by the driver side A pillar, always senses them when they are shooting but of course once I can sense them I'm already screwed if speeding. Fortunately they are creatures of habit and are always in the same places they were when shooting radar so I know where to slow down.
No, they were installed with doublestick tape. The blinder hp-905 has a switch on the cpu unit. You can turn it off once you slow down then the cop will get a speed reading on you. You can also switch it over and it works as a parking sensor only. Parking sensors are not illegal.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:12 PM

Mercedes E550 coupe
Is that the eibach pro kit that they say is only for the E350? Did you have to make any adjustments to fits the springs?
Old 10-08-2012, 05:50 PM

E 550 Coupe
Originally Posted by Chrisherdz
Is that the eibach pro kit that they say is only for the E350? Did you have to make any adjustments to fits the springs?
If you go to the tirerack site they show these springs for the E550. No adjustments needed.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: E550 Lowered/Chrome-Side Markers Painted/Jammer Installed