E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Rear Window Defroster Lines -need help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 07:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350 CDI Sport Cabriolet
Rear Window Defroster Lines -need help!

E350 CDI Cabriolet -the middle heating line (7th down if you count from either top or bottom) doesn't work.
So whenever it's foggy / frosted the middle of the rear window always has a line of frost stretching right across the width.

Local Mercedes garage told me this line is used for the antenna not heating.

Can anyone confirm this??

Seems strange to me that the middle line would be used as an antenna.

Thanks in advance. Any info would be appreciated.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 294 Likes on 223 Posts
E 300 AMG-Line diesel-Hybrid - 2021
MY window clears completely.
The antenna story is strange.
antenna's on top of the back of the roof (clearly visible), so why would they
need to run a wire through your back window...
Old 02-04-2013, 01:27 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Mercedes E350 CD Iridium silver convertible 2010
The antenna is in the front windscreen (you should be able to see it as it runs virtually all around the outer edge) not the rear window, the only way to fix a bad element is to replace the rear screen, there is no other way!!!! If your car is in warranty then they should do it no debate!!!!!
Old 02-04-2013, 01:35 PM

E350 CDI Sport Cabriolet
Thanks guys. You're both correct -the middle line should heat up and is not an antenna as Mercedes first told me.
I believe they were trying to avoid replacing the whole screen and hoped I would just accept their word.

In the end I asked them to check with Meecedes Germany what the exact situation is, and only at that point did they come back to me and admit that it was a fault.
It was then replaced under warranty and all works perfectly now.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:11 AM

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
19 E53 AMG Cab, 21 Land Rover Defender 110S, 20 LR Discovery HSE, 23 Ford Bronco 2dr 7spd Manual
I remember in the old days there was a metallic paste that you dabbed on the broken connection, making a jumper, to close the circuit again.
Much better getting it replaced under warranty.
Old 01-04-2020, 08:34 AM

E350
I have 3 mines missing, 2 lines from the top on the passengers side. The car is still under warranty. When I brought it in the dealer, the service rep told me "Oh ya, see the break?." I left the car and a few hours later I got a call saying that he had "forgotten" all about this "feature".... it is part of the antenna. I thought this was crazy but this isn't the first time this same service rep has fed me a line. Last time he said the rear sensor was acting up because of a frayed wire. A frayed wire? How does a new car have a frayed wire? He became irritated with me and said frayed wires happen all the time to which I replied that there is a whole lot of engineering time spent to ensure there are no "frayed" wires. Two months later the same symptoms were happening and guess what? The sensor had to be replaced. Frayed wire my fanny! And antenna in the rear defogger is nonsense too.
Old 01-04-2020, 08:56 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Mercedes E350 CD Iridium silver convertible 2010
Originally Posted by Carol Richmond
I have 3 mines missing, 2 lines from the top on the passengers side. The car is still under warranty. When I brought it in the dealer, the service rep told me "Oh ya, see the break?." I left the car and a few hours later I got a call saying that he had "forgotten" all about this "feature".... it is part of the antenna. I thought this was crazy but this isn't the first time this same service rep has fed me a line. Last time he said the rear sensor was acting up because of a frayed wire. A frayed wire? How does a new car have a frayed wire? He became irritated with me and said frayed wires happen all the time to which I replied that there is a whole lot of engineering time spent to ensure there are no "frayed" wires. Two months later the same symptoms were happening and guess what? The sensor had to be replaced. Frayed wire my fanny! And antenna in the rear defogger is nonsense too.
What it is, is they do not want to replace the rear windscreen full stop!!! You get poor radio reception etc.. Once your car is out of warranty, wait till you get a price for it's replacement, eye watering!!! They also claim that they will not replace the screen just for poor reception!!!
Old 01-21-2020, 01:48 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,417 Likes on 3,146 Posts
'71 Pinto
207 sedan = windshield antenna, cabriolet rear soft top:

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
cabriolet rear window.pdf (427.3 KB, 140 views)
The following users liked this post:
Grant_J (01-22-2020)