E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

2012 E550 Cab ECU Tuning

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 03:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E550 Cabriolet 2012 CLK 350 Lorinser LM6 19" (Retired)
2012 E550 Cab ECU Tuning

Does anyone know anything about ECU Tuning, How it works, What it does, and where it can be done?
Old 04-11-2013, 01:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'13 E550 Cabriolet
ECU tuning improves performance by changing a combination of adjustments. Often they change ignition timing, fuel flow rates, on turbo cars the max boost levels, and on some cars even cam timing.

As for what it does..... it can give a car a little boost in power or in the case of the 4.6 BT engine (which the '12 and '13 550 has), a big kick in power. They often remove the speed limiter function at the same time.

Most cars can be reprogramed through a port in the car (often the OBD diagnostic port), however to reprogram the 4.6BT engines, it is required to send your ECU unit to the tuner to reprogram. Most tuners I have read about claim a one or two day turn around at their shop for this. You will either have to remove the ECU yourself and send it in or find a shop to do it for you. If you are close to a tuner, you could also take your car to them.

There are a couple companies on this forum which offer tuning for our ECU's. Many forum members like Eurocharged although I believe Renntech is boasting higher power levels (but the price is also higher).

Although the 550 BT engine is "only" rated at 402 H.P., some reports show the real numbers are much higher when tested on a dyno or from track results.
Old 04-11-2013, 01:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C207 E500
I'm gonna send me ECU to Eurocharged for tuning next week. Will comment afterward.
Old 04-11-2013, 03:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2018 AMG GT-C, 2013 GL550, 2012 E550 Coupe
Did the Eurocharged Stage 1 on my '12 E550C a couple months ago and put on some K&N filters last week. HUGE difference in power from the tune (didn't notice anything crazy from the filters, but I figured it would be smart to let the car breath easier with the higher boost settings). Figure i'm around 500HP crank now (need to find a local dyno to see what I'm actually putting down). I've also seen MPGs improve on highway trips (30+mpg). Contemplating downpipes and sending it back to Eurocharged for the Stage 2 tune.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
i would upgrade your tires.. probably need summer tire and a bit wider rim.. 8.5" rear rims are very limiting.

Before any tune is done.. I would probably do tires first...
Old 04-12-2013, 05:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C207 E500
Originally Posted by ngriff6825
Did the Eurocharged Stage 1 on my '12 E550C a couple months ago and put on some K&N filters last week. HUGE difference in power from the tune (didn't notice anything crazy from the filters, but I figured it would be smart to let the car breath easier with the higher boost settings). Figure i'm around 500HP crank now (need to find a local dyno to see what I'm actually putting down). I've also seen MPGs improve on highway trips (30+mpg). Contemplating downpipes and sending it back to Eurocharged for the Stage 2 tune.
R u getting the MBH downpipe ?
Old 04-12-2013, 12:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2018 AMG GT-C, 2013 GL550, 2012 E550 Coupe
Still on the fence. Like the price of the MBH, but not a fan of the fact that they don't replace one of the most restrictive parts (the flange and pipe right after the turbo).

I'm sure removing the cats will still result in decent gains, but the process improvement guy inside of me is saying "don't waste time increasing capacity AFTER a bottle-neck".

Also, it looks like MBH is seriously backlogged and are pushing out orders over a month (and apparently not answering the phones).

Weistec replaces that part and is clearly the superior product, but I'm not dropping 5K for some bent piping... Might just wait until someone else comes out with a similar product and prices drop.

Would also love to hear what it sounds like on a M278 with the downpipes (and stock resonators and mufflers). Put turbo back exhaust on my old WRX STi and the drone / rice effect got old. Not doing that to my Merc.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:57 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 E550 Coupe
Still on the fence. Like the price of the MBH, but not a fan of the fact that they don't replace one of the most restrictive parts (the flange and pipe right after the turbo).

I'm sure removing the cats will still result in decent gains, but the process improvement guy inside of me is saying "don't waste time increasing capacity AFTER a bottle-neck".
According to RennTech, the turbo flange is not the bottleneck and is good for 750+ RWHP. The real restriction is the catalyst. They posted the dyno sheets on the ********* forum. Apparently, the flange pipe flows as much as the stock turbo outlet despite looking less-than-optimum.

Weistec replaces that part and is clearly the superior product, but I'm not dropping 5K for some bent piping... Might just wait until someone else comes out with a similar product and prices drop.
Agreed, the Weistec is gorgeous but way overpriced. You can get the Kleemann downpipe for ~$1300 (there are others around the same price) that gives you the same performance as Weistec without the fancy finish. And it bolts in directly, so no reaching into the engine bay.

Would also love to hear what it sounds like on a M278 with the downpipes (and stock resonators and mufflers).
I'll be doing the Kleemann downpipe and tune this summer, soon after I get the LSD. Video may be posted