E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

650i v. e550 Cabs--$30,000 difference!?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2013 | 05:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

650 grand coupe or regular coupe or cabs are great cars..

I would own one.. if I could afford one. Right now I could only afford a 1 year old E550 couple which I paid $50K plus taxes and fees.

However the 4.4TT engine is not performing to my expectations.. most dynos show that the 4.4TT and 4.6 (4.7 average up) dyno almost the same.

However.. the 4.4TT in most cases is 2 to 4 miles slower on trap speed than comparable cars in their segment.

CLS vs Grand Coupe
SL vs 650 coupe
E550 vs 550i

Edmunds had tons of heat soak issues with the F10 M5 in recent dynos.. while the AMG had zero.

I have talked to atleast 3 machanices about the turbos being placed on the V of the block.. while in theory it makes some sense.. it way too hot to have turbos so close to the firewall and to try to cool down.

To me.. 4.4TT is great engine.. but so far the 4.7TT and 5.5TT has proven to be better mod platforms.

If given the opportunity I would own a used F10 M5.. but it will hard to pass up a E63 AMG.. just for the sake of ease of mods.
Old 06-17-2013 | 06:24 PM

A207 e550
Originally Posted by petee1997
I will tackle this argument from a different perspective. Last Fall I was shopping for a 650iX Grande Coupe. I was astounded by the price. I assume it is the four door version of the 650 Coupe.

I then shopped a comparable CLS550. I drove both cars with a slight edge in power to the 650IX. Similarly equipped cars made the CLS550 25K cheaper. I bought the CLS and can say it's the nicest GT car I have ever owned.

As far as the 650 coupe is concerned, I don't know that MB has a direct competitor. The 650 is an oddball car that has very low volume and poor resale value. The rear space is less than the 3 series and vastly inferior to the E class coupe. It's a roadster trying to be a four seater.

Finally I would have bought the 650IX Grande Coupe if the price was the same as the CLS. Why? I liked the looks better. Nothing else.
This is essentially the same experience I had, only with the e550 cab v. the 650i cab. I went to the BMW dealership first, and again, and again, trying to see what I was missing. I don't feel like I'm missing anything with the Merc.

Originally Posted by TopGun32
650 grand coupe or regular coupe or cabs are great cars..

I would own one.. if I could afford one. Right now I could only afford a 1 year old E550 couple which I paid $50K plus taxes and fees.

However the 4.4TT engine is not performing to my expectations.. most dynos show that the 4.4TT and 4.6 (4.7 average up) dyno almost the same.

However.. the 4.4TT in most cases is 2 to 4 miles slower on trap speed than comparable cars in their segment.

CLS vs Grand Coupe
SL vs 650 coupe
E550 vs 550i

Edmunds had tons of heat soak issues with the F10 M5 in recent dynos.. while the AMG had zero.

I have talked to atleast 3 machanices about the turbos being placed on the V of the block.. while in theory it makes some sense.. it way too hot to have turbos so close to the firewall and to try to cool down.

To me.. 4.4TT is great engine.. but so far the 4.7TT and 5.5TT has proven to be better mod platforms.

If given the opportunity I would own a used F10 M5.. but it will hard to pass up a E63 AMG.. just for the sake of ease of mods.

Hadn't thought about the possible heat issues with having the turbos tucked in the V, but now that you mention it, I'm not surprised.