E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Problem Changing Cabin Air Filter, 2010 E350 Coupe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 11:49 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2017 E300, 2017 C300
Problem Changing Cabin Air Filter, 2010 E350 Coupe

I have read numerous posts and have watched a few You Tube videos about how to change a cabin air filter, but am unable to remove my cabin air filter. I have worked on my own cars for years and have seldom had a problem doing anything that should be relatively simple like changing a cabin air filter.

I removed the floor mat, pulled back the carpet, unscrewed the 3 Torx screws, lowered the black plastic panel, disconnected the electrical probe and the light, but still cannot remove the large black plastic panel.

It seems that on my car the plastic panel has about a 1" lip that extends behind the right side lower kick panel - this is the vertical carpet like panel just to the right of the passenger floorboard, ahead of the door opening.

I know the black plastic panel is somewhat flexible, but I cannot maneuver it in a way to release the right side of it from behind the kick panel.

I did receive some information that I first need to remove the door sill molding, which I did, then loosen the edge guard, which I am unable to do without possibly damaging it, and then remove or pull rearward the kick panel (also referred to as "A-pillar paneling at the bottom).

If I could loosen the edge guard, then I could probably pull the kick panel back far enough to remove the large black plastic panel. Then I would be able to remove and replace the cabin air filter.

Does anyone know how to loosen the edge guard without damaging it?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Old 11-10-2013, 10:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 MB 350i Coupe P2 WD
shame on MB
good example how simple can be so complicated
not a good location at all ...
Old 11-11-2013, 05:01 AM

2017 E300, 2017 C300
Apparently the kick panel needs to be removed only on W204 models (C-class) and A207 & C207 models - coupes and convertibles which are based on the C-class chassis. The passenger foot wells in these cars are narrower than the footwells in the W212 current E-class sedans. You do not have to remove the kick panel on these sedans to be able to replace the cabin air filter.

In any event, I need to find out how to loosen the edge guard in order to be able to remove the kick panel so that I can access the filter in order to replace it.

The shame is that the only other option is to pay the dealer big $$ to do what should be a relatively simple maintenance job.
Old 11-11-2013, 03:30 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 MB 350i Coupe P2 WD
how many miles to change them and where to get OE online for a good price
Old 11-11-2013, 07:42 PM

2017 E300, 2017 C300
chanpaign777,
I understand that the filter is normally changed at a B service. Mercedes recommends service once a year so that would mean an A service one year and a B service the next. I think normal usage is about 10-12,000 miles a year.

My car is just 4 years old and only has 10,000 miles. It was always serviced at my local MB dealer. I purchased it a couple of months ago with 9000 miles. It is my 2nd car and only use it locally a couple of times a week. I met with the service advisor who showed me the service records. Because the car had such low miles put on it each year, they only did an A service once a year. He recommended that I have a B service if I get to 13-14,000 miles by next April or May.

It is my understanding that the OEM filter costs about $85-$100. I bought a brand new one in the box on ebay for $35.00. However there are several aftermarket replacement filters on ebay ranging from as low as $15 to about $55. Some of them are charcoal filters that will do a better job than the OEM one.
Old 11-19-2018, 09:36 AM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
2003 E500, 2004 G35X
Originally Posted by bmeck2003
I have read numerous posts and have watched a few You Tube videos about how to change a cabin air filter, but am unable to remove my cabin air filter. I have worked on my own cars for years and have seldom had a problem doing anything that should be relatively simple like changing a cabin air filter.

I removed the floor mat, pulled back the carpet, unscrewed the 3 Torx screws, lowered the black plastic panel, disconnected the electrical probe and the light, but still cannot remove the large black plastic panel.

It seems that on my car the plastic panel has about a 1" lip that extends behind the right side lower kick panel - this is the vertical carpet like panel just to the right of the passenger floorboard, ahead of the door opening.

I know the black plastic panel is somewhat flexible, but I cannot maneuver it in a way to release the right side of it from behind the kick panel.

I did receive some information that I first need to remove the door sill molding, which I did, then loosen the edge guard, which I am unable to do without possibly damaging it, and then remove or pull rearward the kick panel (also referred to as "A-pillar paneling at the bottom).

If I could loosen the edge guard, then I could probably pull the kick panel back far enough to remove the large black plastic panel. Then I would be able to remove and replace the cabin air filter.

Does anyone know how to loosen the edge guard without damaging it?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
I have the same problem. How did you get this resolved?
Old 11-19-2018, 10:21 AM

2017 E300, 2017 C300
To: Flash Gordon,
I had the dealer replace the filter. (Sent you a PM)
Old 11-26-2018, 09:11 AM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
2003 E500, 2004 G35X
Originally Posted by bmeck2003
To: Flash Gordon,
I had the dealer replace the filter. (Sent you a PM)
Just changed mine this weekend. There is nothing else holding the panel! The steps are the same as you see in You Tube, remove 3 screws, disconnect 2 electrical connectors, pull the panel down and towards you, there is a large plastic hook as part of the panel, make sure the hook clears the top, pop lose the two tabs holding the filter, slide the filter's locking mechanism and pull out the filter.
Don't put the 2 metal tabs back because it's not easy to remove and put it back, and the tabs are redundant.
That's it! Took me a good 1/2 hour and strained my neck!
Old 11-26-2018, 10:21 AM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
11 E350 Cab, 18 GLS450
I have changed my filter since I had the car in 2011.. No issues at all. Remove the torx screws, detach the wiring, remove the panel.. Slide the catch remove the tabs if they are there and the filter drops out... I do pull the floor panel forward but its not connected to anything. I never have to remove any side panels at all..
Regards,
Mike