E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

DIY: Retrofit color instrument cluster

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-01-2021, 02:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W211, W204, C207, W205
Originally Posted by kalt
I have successfully installed the newer color instrument cluster in my 2011 coupe with monochrome display. The cluster is fully functional with my mileage, variant coding, and Assyst plus data. I bought the cluster used for $80 so I had to disassemble it and program the EEprom with new data, you also need to read data from the EEprom of your old cluster. I also had to change the variant coding & Assyst Plus data in Xentry. This mod works for the 5 pod cluster found 2011-2013 E class and 3 pod found in the facelift E class and other vehicles.

My install is not complete because the 3 pod cluster has different mounting points than the pre-facelift models but some members on a German MB forum solved this by installing in the cluster in the housing of a W204, while some did a complete conversion to the 2014+ by installing a new trim that goes around the cluster. With the 5 pod cluster you will not have to worry about any mounting issues.

I plan to repeat the process in my coupe with the 5 pod cluster so I will document the entire process in the tread over the next 2 weeks. I also plan to install the 3 pod cluster In my wife’s W212 once I get a few part from the dealer. The procedure is quite complex so i don't recommend it if you have never soldered SMD components.

Here is a pic of the 3 pod cluster in my coupe.

how did you solve the issue with the mounting points? Did you buy the 2014 trim?