E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

E550 (or 400) Coupe relative ride quality

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 12:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 SLK55, 2014 GLK350
E550 (or 400) Coupe relative ride quality

As I noted in an earlier post, I would like to order a 2016 E Coupe (preferably an E550C) soon. The roads where we live have deteriorated considerably over the past few years (e.g. pot holes finally get repaired, but poorly). Nevertheless my wife's 2014 GLK350 glides over them with little notice. However, my 2012 SLK55 (AMG) lets me feel everything, and often unpleasantly.

Not having had the opportunity to ride in any recent model of E Coupe yet, I don't know where they would fall in this ride-quality range. I assume it would not be as harsh as the AMG because of the longer wheelbase. But the stock tires are the same as on the SLK AMG except for the Z rating.

I would actually prefer to order the Coupe with the optional 19" wheels and tires - unless that would tend to make it ride like (or gulp, harsher than) the little AMG.

Any thoughts on the relative rides of E Coupe models would be appreciated.
Old 06-13-2015, 01:24 AM

2011 E350 4Matic (W212); previous: 2010 E350 Coupe (C207)
I had a 2010 E350 Coupe. I sold it after two years mostly because the ride, combined with the most uncomfortable seats I ever experienced, was just unbearably harsh on anything but perfectly smooth surfaces. You can check out this to get some idea: http://tinyurl.com/ozue5le
Old 06-13-2015, 11:59 AM

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts
2015 E550 Coupe
Originally Posted by El Capitan
As I noted in an earlier post, I would like to order a 2016 E Coupe (preferably an E550C) soon. The roads where we live have deteriorated considerably over the past few years (e.g. pot holes finally get repaired, but poorly). Nevertheless my wife's 2014 GLK350 glides over them with little notice. However, my 2012 SLK55 (AMG) lets me feel everything, and often unpleasantly.

Not having had the opportunity to ride in any recent model of E Coupe yet, I don't know where they would fall in this ride-quality range. I assume it would not be as harsh as the AMG because of the longer wheelbase. But the stock tires are the same as on the SLK AMG except for the Z rating.

I would actually prefer to order the Coupe with the optional 19" wheels and tires - unless that would tend to make it ride like (or gulp, harsher than) the little AMG.

Any thoughts on the relative rides of E Coupe models would be appreciated.
19 inch tires will give you a harsher ride than the standard 18 inch tires. On the E550 coupe, if you keep it in comfort mode, you should be OK. However, you should NOT expect the E550 coupe or any car to give you the "detached from the road" feel of an SUV when riding over potholes. Massively different suspension systems designed to provide quite different road handling characteristics. Hope this helps.
Old 06-13-2015, 02:11 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2014 E550 Cabriolet, 2014 Porsche Cayenne Diesel
Best way for you to determine if you like the ride is to find one to test drive. I can't imagine the '16 would ride much different from a '14 or '15. My experience is the normal setting works fine, not too harsh. But be realistic, it is a low car, with not a lot of wheel travel and low profile tires. I freakin' hate when I hit pothole in my car, not a great feeling. I've learned to tip toe round the potholes here in CT- and we have them by the boatload.
Old 06-13-2015, 06:48 PM

2013 SLK55, 2014 GLK350
Thanks to those who offered their thoughts on whether and how I might achieve a degree of everyday ride comfort for my planned new E550C. Since I have always appreciated great handling, I wouldn't have previously been concerned about this, but the decline in road maintenance over the last few years, especially on the roads I normally use, has spoiled my everyday enjoyment of my SLK55 (which can deliver exceptional performance when conditions permit).

I notice that the packages for the 2016 E400C require one to pick a "Sport Package" for that model to get a presumably firmer "Sport-tuned suspension". I wonder whether the "Comfort" setting of the adjustable "Dynamic Handling Suspension" - that is standard on the 2016 E550C - effectively allows one to select shock valving that is similar to a E400C without a Sport-tuned suspension? It may not because the E550C weighs 200 lbs. more - probably mostly because of the larger engine - and thus may necessitate a firmer ride than the E400C even in Comfort mode.
Old 06-17-2015, 09:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 E550 Cabriolet
I have the 2012 E550 and find the suspension sporty even in comfort mode.
it feals like a well controlled heavy cruser.
In sport mode it becomes pretty good at hiding its weight.
It is softer than a C63 that I tried one.

I did hit a deep hole durring spring thaw that broke 2 new winter tires, 1 MAG and caused the suspension to start and make noise. My total bill was $3500.
I now drive around potholes but enjoy the ride anytime the roads get nicer.
Old 06-17-2015, 11:44 AM

2013 SLK55, 2014 GLK350
Originally Posted by azuris
I have the 2012 E550 and find the suspension sporty even in comfort mode.
it feals like a well controlled heavy cruser.
In sport mode it becomes pretty good at hiding its weight.
It is softer than a C63 that I tried one.

I did hit a deep hole durring spring thaw that broke 2 new winter tires, 1 MAG and caused the suspension to start and make noise. My total bill was $3500.
I now drive around potholes but enjoy the ride anytime the roads get nicer.
Thank you for that feedback - especially your comparison with the ride of a C63 - because (with the roads the way many now are) I find I must now achieve a better ride than my current SLK55 provides for everyday driving.
Old 06-18-2015, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by El Capitan
Thank you for that feedback - especially your comparison with the ride of a C63 - because (with the roads the way many now are) I find I must now achieve a better ride than my current SLK55 provides for everyday driving.
EC, I recommend that you test drive that E Coupe five times and sleep over it ten times before you sign anything.

I have been driving for 30 years and I can't remember anything I ever drove (or rode in) that would have been as rough as the E coupe, except perhaps a Porsche 911. Even the Porsche had more comfortable seats. This was my first Mercedes and it was quite a shock to discover that I paid a shltload of money for the privilege of being beaten up on a daily basis. I too ended up desperately trying to avoid bumps, potholes and manhole covers and for the first time in my life driving turned from fun into a burden.

Buying an E Coupe in North America can only be called a basic misunderstanding. This car was obviously designed for smooth German roads and high speed cruising on the autobahn, without any regard for the rest of the world. Unless you have smooth German roads and a couple of autobahns in your neighbourhood you're screwed.

Based just on the fact that you started this thread I cannot imagine that you would be happy with this car.
Old 06-19-2015, 01:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 E550 Coupe
Accurate Comparison?

Comparing 2010 and 2011 E350s to new 2016 E550 may not be very comparable. I have a 2015 E550 Coupe. I just completed a 2000 mile trip in CA, NV and ID. I found the seats very comfortable, no complaints. Some of the roads and highways in CA are BAD. My car handled them comfortably.
I guess comparing the E550 to a 1977 Cadillac 4-Door sedan, might find the E550s seats and ride quite harsh.
But if you have spent your life in sports cars like I have, the E550 Coupe is wonderful.
Old 06-19-2015, 03:18 PM

2015 E550 Coupe
Originally Posted by retvethogrider
Comparing 2010 and 2011 E350s to new 2016 E550 may not be very comparable. I have a 2015 E550 Coupe. I just completed a 2000 mile trip in CA, NV and ID. I found the seats very comfortable, no complaints. Some of the roads and highways in CA are BAD. My car handled them comfortably.
I guess comparing the E550 to a 1977 Cadillac 4-Door sedan, might find the E550s seats and ride quite harsh.
But if you have spent your life in sports cars like I have, the E550 Coupe is wonderful.
One hundred percent agree. Originally El Capitan asked about ride quality (comfort) of an E550 coupe with 19 inch tires and wheels versus the stock 18 inch AMG style tires and wheels. The caveat being his concern with the poorly maintained roads in his home state. I think we addressed that concern by pointing out 18 inch wheels and tires will deliver a more comfortable ride than his planned 19 inch solution.

I think we also addressed the "comfort" issue by a few of us, who actually have new or late model E550 coupes, that driving the car with the suspension set to comfort mode delivers quite a good ride on bad roads. I live in the northeast and the roads here look like swiss cheese after every winter. Yet the E550 coupe rides quite well in this environment.

Somehow we veered into a comparison between the completely detached from the road, boat-like ride of a 1977 Caddy sedan, which no one would compare with a sports car like the SLK AMG or a sports coupe like the E550. Apples and oranges to the extreme.

If the goal is a much more forgiving ride than the OP's current SLK AMG, then the E550 coupe will deliver that, while still providing some good performance feel. In my opinion, it would be a good compromise delivering both comfort and performance. If on the other hand, the goal is a completely detached from the road feel of a GLK450 (or dare I say an even more disconnected from the road 1977 Caddy) where you can limber over a road filled with potholes and feel almost nothing, then that means giving up on anything sporty and settling for a SUV.

How we ended up with side discussion involving the E350 coupe, which isn't in the same class ride or performance-wise to an E550 coupe, I'll just leave alone. Personally, I don't consider the E350 that well built (noisy engine, lesser quality suspension feel, kinda blah to drive) and nothing to write home about. The standard seats in the E350 weren't comfortable either. Didn't take long to rule that out as a buy option.
Old 06-19-2015, 05:12 PM

2013 SLK55, 2014 GLK350
Thanks retvethogrider & PaulE for your relevant comments. I too thought Das Rattlebox's experience with a 2010 E350 model was likely inapplicable, and his verbiage sounded a little like he faulted Mercedes for not making every vehicle ride like an S class (my first Benz was in fact a 1983 S class). Personally, I think Mercedes offers a range of very well-engineered vehicles for various purposes and preferences, and I have taken advantage of a number of different models.

After spending the last 3 weeks in the Arizona mountains, I am returning to Tucson next week where I will hopefully find some representative models at my dealer to make my own comparisons. Good handling is still a priority, and thus a bit firmer suspension is required. I just went a little too firm with my current SLK55 - for everyday use on many of the poorly maintained roads in Tucson - but it sure has been a blast on some of the Southwest's rural roads, and at the Laguna Seca track.

Even though I have enjoyed the capabilities of the 550 engine in my little SLK55, I will at least also look at the somewhat less powerful 2016 E400 Coupe because it is available with 4Matic - which, along with its lighter front-end weight, apparently makes for even better-handling characteristics. I am assuming that one stat on the Mercedes website is erroneous. It states that the 0-60 time for a E400 4Matic Coupe is 6.3 sec., whereas a E400 4Matic Sedan - a substantially larger, heavier vehicle - is 5.6 sec. Unless Mercedes purposely limits the boost of the E400 Coupe's twin turbochargers (which I doubt), I would bet that while not the equal of a 550, it could surely equal or exceed a E400 Sedan's times.
Old 06-19-2015, 05:45 PM

2015 E550 Coupe
I agree the E400 coupe with 4Matic 0-60 time of 6.3 seconds likely wrong. The non-4Matic E400 coupe has a lsted time of 5.3 seconds. So maybe with 4Matic the coupe is slowed down to 5.6 or 5.8 seconds. If it really is slowed down to 6.3 seconds, that's one hell of performance hit for the sake of near all wheel drive.
Old 06-19-2015, 11:34 PM

2013 SLK55, 2014 GLK350
Originally Posted by PaulE550
I agree the E400 coupe with 4Matic 0-60 time of 6.3 seconds likely wrong. The non-4Matic E400 coupe has a lsted time of 5.3 seconds. So maybe with 4Matic the coupe is slowed down to 5.6 or 5.8 seconds. If it really is slowed down to 6.3 seconds, that's one hell of performance hit for the sake of near all wheel drive.
It seems that in most high power vehicles, 4-Matic often IMPROVES 0-60 times - presumably due to the better starting traction. In the E400 Sedan 4-Matic makes no difference. So why Mercedes lists the 4-Matic Coupe a full second slower makes no sense. I sent them an email regarding this over a week ago, but sadly they have not replied so far.
Old 06-22-2015, 02:54 AM

Personally, I don't consider the E350 that well built (noisy engine, lesser quality suspension feel, kinda blah to drive) and nothing to write home about. The standard seats in the E350 weren't comfortable either. Didn't take long to rule that out as a buy option.
I agree, it was awful in many respects.

As to the E550, the consensus seems to be that driving it mainly involves trying to avoid road imperfections and replacing broken wheels and tires. If that is your idea of a "comfortable ride", hey go for it.

Last edited by Das Rattlebox; 06-22-2015 at 11:16 PM.
Old 06-22-2015, 11:33 AM

2015 E550 Coupe
Consensus

Das--The "consensus?" Really? Who voted on that one? I would like to see the results of your research. Thanks
Old 06-22-2015, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Das Rattlebox
I agree, it was a piece of junk.

As to the E550, the consensus seems to be that driving it mainly involves trying to avoid road imperfections and replacing broken wheels and tires. If that is your idea of a "comfortable ride", hey go for it.
Thinking back to when my 2009 BMW 535i with Sport Package was new, with the original Dunlop run flats- what a miserable ride that was. Conventional tires replaced the run flats and ride quality improved- still nothing to write home about. Anyone who purchases a car with low profile tires is going to experience a harsh ride on beat up streets. That is plain physics, only to be made slightly better or worse from the final suspension tuning. All manufacturers warn you about the low profile wheels/tires. You like and performance and accept the trade offs.

We have a basic CRV for NY City duty and for when it snows- that thing loves bumps, potholes, etc...I have the LX version with the cheap steel wheels, but the tires will run you $170 a piece- I already took one out.
Old 06-22-2015, 04:07 PM

2015 E550 Coupe
I agree, it was a piece of junk.

Das,

I don't drive my E550 coupe any differently than I would drive either a Porsche or a Vette on roads around here. Of the three, the E550, in Economy or Sport modes and Comfort suspension selected, delivers the most comfortable ride. It is almost on par with my Lexus. Which is almost like sitting on a comfortable living room recliner, but of course it lacks the handling and performance characteristics I enjoy. When you buy most performance vehicles, you have to of course realize there will be a degree of road feedback. The degree of feedback, by brand and model, varies, so it's up to the individual to determine what is acceptable for them and choose accordingly.

Of course I endeavor to avoid potholes at high speeds. Since if I hit a bad enough pothole fast enough, I would potentially rip the hell out of a Porsche, Vette, or any other vehicle. Just like you would in a MB E550 as AZURIS did above. The difference is doing that much damage it in a Porsche will likely entail a repair bill of $5K to $7.5K.

One of my friends hit a water-filled pothole in the early spring in his Ferrari 458 Spider. Fortunately, he wasn't going that fast. Blew his left front tire, the wheel cracked and his did a little front end suspension damage on that side. The repair bill came to almost $18K. So yeah, everyone who drives performance vehicles are concerned with avoiding potholes whenever possible. Like I said before, if you want to just lumber down the road, riding over as many potholes as there are, all without feeling much of anything, then buy a big SUV. That's what they're designed for.

I do have one question though. You obviously hate the E350 with a passion. That's perfectly OK. If I was driving one on a daily basis, I would be less than thrilled with it for numerous reasons myself. But why are you still driving one after having owned a previous model year of the same vehicle?
Old 06-22-2015, 04:11 PM

2015 E550 Coupe
Originally Posted by PJ550CAB
Thinking back to when my 2009 BMW 535i with Sport Package was new, with the original Dunlop run flats- what a miserable ride that was. Conventional tires replaced the run flats and ride quality improved- still nothing to write home about. Anyone who purchases a car with low profile tires is going to experience a harsh ride on beat up streets. That is plain physics, only to be made slightly better or worse from the final suspension tuning. All manufacturers warn you about the low profile wheels/tires. You like and performance and accept the trade offs.

We have a basic CRV for NY City duty and for when it snows- that thing loves bumps, potholes, etc...I have the LX version with the cheap steel wheels, but the tires will run you $170 a piece- I already took one out.
Yep. That's the purpose of having "a beater" for NYC driving. Some NYC potholes are the size of small sinkholes and they eat tires on a regular basis.
Old 06-22-2015, 04:11 PM

2015 E550 Coupe
Originally Posted by retvethogrider
Das--The "consensus?" Really? Who voted on that one? I would like to see the results of your research. Thanks
+1
Old 06-22-2015, 10:48 PM

2015 E550 Coupe
Das,

I don't drive my E550 coupe any differently than I would drive either a Porsche or a Vette on roads around here. Of the three, the E550, in Economy or Sport modes and Comfort suspension selected, delivers the most comfortable ride. It is almost on par with my Lexus. Which is almost like sitting on a comfortable living room recliner, but of course it lacks the handling and performance characteristics I enjoy. When you buy most performance vehicles, you have to of course realize there will be a degree of road feedback. The degree of feedback, by brand and model, varies, so it's up to the individual to determine what is acceptable for them and choose accordingly.

Of course I endeavor to avoid potholes at high speeds. Since if I hit a bad enough pothole fast enough, I would potentially rip the hell out of a Porsche, Vette, or any other vehicle. Just like you would in a MB E550 as AZURIS did above. The difference is doing that much damage it in a Porsche will likely entail a repair bill of $5K to $7.5K.

One of my friends hit a water-filled pothole in the early spring in his Ferrari 458 Spider. Fortunately, he wasn't going that fast. Blew his left front tire, the wheel cracked and his did a little front end suspension damage on that side. The repair bill came to almost $18K. So yeah, everyone who drives performance vehicles are concerned with avoiding potholes whenever possible. Like I said before, if you want to just lumber down the road, riding over as many potholes as there are, all without feeling much of anything, then buy a big SUV. That's what they're designed for.

I do have one question though. You obviously hate the E350 with a passion. That's perfectly OK. If I was driving one on a daily basis, I would be less than thrilled with it for numerous reasons myself. But why are you still driving one after having owned a previous model year of the same vehicle?
Well put.
Old 06-22-2015, 11:35 PM

I switched to a sedan. Still not my favourite ride but a lot better.

The atrocious ride was just one thing I hated about the coupe, although the most obvious. I may post an overview when I have some time.

By "consensus" I meant the previous posts to this thread each of which recounted some sort of unpleasant experience.
Old 06-22-2015, 11:51 PM

So yeah, everyone who drives performance vehicles are concerned with avoiding potholes whenever possible.
Agree completely. I don't fault a Porsche for the ride.

The thing is the E coupe is not a "performance vehicle". It is just a big heavy luxury coupe with an identity crisis and a horrible ride.

I never owned an SUV and never sat in a Cadillac. I am just comparing the E coupe with dozens of normal cars I drove or rode in.
Old 06-23-2015, 01:52 PM

The thing is the E coupe is not a "performance vehicle". It is just a big heavy luxury coupe with an identity crisis and a horrible ride.

I never owned an SUV and never sat in a Cadillac. I am just comparing the E coupe with dozens of normal cars I drove or rode in.
If I'm not mistaken, 2010 was the first year of the 207, so changes in spring rates, shock tuning, sway bar diameter and a host of other things may have changed over the years. Admittedly, my E550 cab rides harder than anticipated around town, but hardly punishing. Highway travel is wonderful, with the ride and handling just right for "fastball" speeds.

By the way, after nearly 30 cars, have never owned a car that attracts this much attention. And its a steel gray car- so conservative.
Old 06-24-2015, 03:56 AM

2015 E550 Coupe

Das--
Let me see if I understand you. You say your "consensus" is based on the negative E550 comments on this thread? Your comments are the only negative ones on this thread and you do not make a consensus. You only make an opinion. And not a very credible one in that apparently your only experience is with older E350s. Not late model, post 2013 E550 Coupes.
My next issue is with what do you mean by dozens of "normal" cars? What is a normal car? I don't think one of those has been made yet.
When you get an opportunity to extensively drive a 2014-2016 E550 Coupe (and not just ride in one), I would welcome your comments but until then, I would suggest you restrict your comments to topics of which you have some knowledge.
In the meantime, there are several of us commenting on this thread who own E550 Coupes. We'll carry the weight for you commenting on this car. And we will let you do the same when a topic arises pertaining to your year and model, the E350.
Now to answer the original thread, the 2015-2016 E550 Coupe is a wonderful automobile. It is comfortable with accurate handling in Comfort mode. Put it in Sport handling mode, the car is transformed. Handling becomes more precise and you will receive more steering and suspension feedback. It is a sports/touring coupe with low profile tires. It is as I would expect for that kind of car. And then there is the over 400hp and nearly 450ft/lb of torque. As I said, it is a wonderful car.
Old 06-24-2015, 08:29 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet
Speaking for the 2011 E350 Cabriolet. I have owned a Ferrari, Porsche, Lotus, Jaguar and a multitude of other "normal" cars and I can say that my E350 has the best balance of comfort and sport ride I could ever want. The car hunkers down into turns, drives fine on the highway and really likes to shred a twisty back road plus has plenty of zip for a 6 cylinder engine. Perhaps the car meets my current age and lifestyle as I have slowed down a wee bit, but it does what I need and I'm a happy camper.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: E550 (or 400) Coupe relative ride quality