E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Dealer causing wheel curb rash issue..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 02:12 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
04' CLK, 09 997.2 GTS, 22 992 C4S
Dealer causing wheel curb rash issue..

Fletcher Jones Mercedes - in Fremont, CA curbed rashed my AMG wheels from my 13' E350 while the car was in their care only for basic warranty service over 5 days: they said they'd take care of it after a long push and pulling teeth dialogue with the Service Manager, Kimo Sanchez who was being totally unreceptive, showed no accountability, and tried to give me bs insisting the curb rash was there prior- all that even after he confirmed with the Service Advisor that the SA checked my car in and all wheels were prestine...

My question is does anyone have experience with how dealers handle these curb rash repairs? I'm sure they'll outsource the work but anything else to know in order to ensure dealer liability and responsibility for the lifetime of the repair in case it peels /cracks since essentially they ruined my perfectly fine new wheel.

I've also received the dealer's survey and MB USA survey that I've refrained from filling out due to concerns with reprisals before the dealer fixes the issue.

Any and all feedback most appreciated..
Old 03-01-2017, 01:48 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2014 E550 Coupe
I purchased a CPO 2014 E550 coupe from MB Farifield CA, that had some pretty nasty road rash (chunks were missing on the rim edge) on 3 of the 4 wheels, they assured me they would fix it as part of the agreement to purchase the car. They sent the wheels out to some place in the Bay area, and when I received the car back, the wheels look brand spanking new. I don't know the process they used, but I went over the wheels with a fine tooth cone and could not find any blemishes or any indication that they were repaired. They just looked new. I've had the car for about 7 months and they still look great, even with the horrible weather we've been having as of late. Seeing as you are in Freemont, they may send your wheel to the same place that they sent mine. I'll try to look for my paperwork, I think it had the name of the place they sent the wheel out to.
The following users liked this post:
Hk91308 (03-01-2017)
Old 03-01-2017, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by jedmo
I purchased a CPO 2014 E550 coupe from MB Farifield CA, that had some pretty nasty road rash (chunks were missing on the rim edge) on 3 of the 4 wheels, they assured me they would fix it as part of the agreement to purchase the car. They sent the wheels out to some place in the Bay area, and when I received the car back, the wheels look brand spanking new. I don't know the process they used, but I went over the wheels with a fine tooth cone and could not find any blemishes or any indication that they were repaired. They just looked new. I've had the car for about 7 months and they still look great, even with the horrible weather we've been having as of late. Seeing as you are in Freemont, they may send your wheel to the same place that they sent mine. I'll try to look for my paperwork, I think it had the name of the place they sent the wheel out to.
Many thanks jedmo, dropped the car off to them at the dealership today and I think the SA said they will take the damaged wheel off and send it to some place in a Santa Rosa, he gave me a name but I'm blanking now.. nice to hear it sounds like a great job in your wheels thus far.

Just keep an eye on the clear coat they sprayed as part of the repair, as they tend to start to peel at the 3 year mark. - Porsche of Downtown LA sold my friend a 911 with wheeel repairs and initially they look perfect and if you didn't tell me I would thought they were new...then around the 3 year mark the clear coat from the repair started to peel, then the paint they sprayed to match peeled next.

Pending the damage, they sand down the rough/scrape edges and fill any areas as necessary, next they spray a finish.paint to match/ and lastly the spray a clear coat - that's more or less the process.

Sincere thanks for your feedback, at least your dealer was not trying to get away with scratching your wheels in their care and taking no accountability as was the case with my car here.
Old 03-04-2017, 12:42 AM

Just an update for everyone , especially Bay Area guys getting their cars serviced to be wary of Fletcher Jones, Mercedes Fremont -

Here's what happened additionally once I came back to pickup my car from the wheel repair:

Bad news for me yesterday, as I came to pick up my car from the wheel repair job is Fletcher Jones Mercedes, Fremont CA Service Dept. proved themselves to be the worst ever.

First they tried to deny curb rashing my wheel, then now after admitting they did -they had outsourced it to Wheel Repair Solutions in San Rafael to get fixed...so guess what, the area is fixed but I found a new 2" area on the rim lip that appears to be caused during mounting/dismounting of the wheel. Of course my service advisor did not even check and I found out again upon picking up there car. Additionally, obviously they didn't use a SOFT SOCKET as all my new lug nut holes are scraped now.

This dealership continues to fail on all accounts of customer service and accountability along with quality control responsibility especially after they messed up a customer's car the first time. Not one apology from the SA, none.

I ended up having to address the new wheel damage and again my car is with them for another week or so to get resolved while I'm driving a loaner.

This is just unacceptable and I'm going to contact MB USA along with the GM of the dealership to share these ongoing issues once my wheels are fixed (hopefully correctly).
Old 03-08-2017, 07:56 AM

Edition 507 Coupe, M278 powered E550 Coupe, S211 E500
You're very lenient with the dealership. Anyone who did that to one of my cars wouldn't get a second chance to touch it. I also don't want my wheels machined down, or filled, or whatever else they do when they repair a wheel; in my opinion it will never be the same again. I'd request brand new wheels and insist on taking them home with me and mounting them myself. I would get a lawyer involved if they did not go along with what I requested.
The following users liked this post:
Hk91308 (03-08-2017)
Old 03-08-2017, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by RZT5
You're very lenient with the dealership. Anyone who did that to one of my cars wouldn't get a second chance to touch it. I also don't want my wheels machined down, or filled, or whatever else they do when they repair a wheel; in my opinion it will never be the same again. I'd request brand new wheels and insist on taking them home with me and mounting them myself. I would get a lawyer involved if they did not go along with what I requested.
Many thanks RZT5 for chiming in and I agree the wheels will never be the same. My initial thoughts were due having a long standing relationship with the dealer, and being a dealer they would handle the issue correctly as mistakes do happen and it's just how they make it right. But in this case I was very wrong to be lenient.

Got my car back yesterday and the wheels though fixed are definitely not the same, additionally the company they outsourced them to for the repairs totally ruined the inner wheel surfaces when they remounted the wheels to the tires. - one can clearly see the scratches circumferentially on the insides of the wheels.

They also scratched up the center wheel caps this second time as well, which were brand new replacements due to defective delamination.

At this point though very upset and frustrated I'm just glad to have my car back and no I will not take any of my cars back to Fletcher Jones, MB of Fremont again.

It was the end of the day when I got my car, and again the service advisor displayed no remorse and had the nerve to say "it happens" - being so frustrated I just took my car home. That being said I will write to the dealership and MB USA to report every single detail of this negligent and incompent handling of my car.

Appreciate everyone's feedback and please learn from my experience and ensure your car is checked thoroughly before and after picking it up from dealer service regardless of your relationship with the dealer
Old 03-09-2017, 04:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts
W204 C63 AMG, W212 E250 CGI, C207 E250 CGI
i understand your concern, really and i sympathize with you.
do you have any photos of the scrape and the lug bolt holes scratches?

i know that what i consider minor can be major to others but to actually involve MB USA and the GM and the other guy suggested a lawyer? for scratches on your wheel lug bolt holes? i am **** when it comes to my cars but you guys...
i just rolled my eyes so far back i saw my brain.

hope you get it fixed soon and without any further hassle.
Old 03-09-2017, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by beejAMG
i understand your concern, really and i sympathize with you.
do you have any photos of the scrape and the lug bolt holes scratches?

i know that what i consider minor can be major to others but to actually involve MB USA and the GM and the other guy suggested a lawyer? for scratches on your wheel lug bolt holes? i am **** when it comes to my cars but you guys...
i just rolled my eyes so far back i saw my brain.

hope you get it fixed soon and without any further hassle.
Thank you , actually I have all photos of the damages. I could not capture photos on the inside circumferential scratches of the wheels due to the poor mounting/dismounting but they are obvious when one looks under the car damaged side RIGHT vs the non damaged side LEFT wheels.

My point to bring this matter to MB USA and senior leadership at the dealer is this service department failed on all levels: from their Service Manager denying the issue and taking no accountability, to when the they outsourced it for repairs it came back worst- they didn't even inspect the repairs for quality and whether it was acceptable. Then the 3rd time around the repairs are not up to standard and I find out they scratched the insides of each wheel due to the mounting along with scratching the newly replaced wheel center caps.

Over 3.5 years of ownership since new and not an aesthetic issue under my ownership driven or parked anywhere, yet one simple day at the dealership caused this cascade of issues?

Be it a small damage or big issue, yes things happen but the principle here is my wheels will never be the same , and being a dealer there should be much more accountability and they should be more up standing from the get go.

As anyone could imagine this has been a major waste of my time and much stress ruining my wheels, ultimately this is totally unacceptable and unsatisfactory from any dealer in addition to companies they choose to outsource work to.