E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Soft top care

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 10:26 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
C63 / E400 Cab
Soft top care

After picking up my cpo e400 cab and giving it a wash I was sad to see that the prior owners hadn't given the soft top much care and it was absorbing water like a sponge.

Whilst there are no signs of Mould or fabric disintegration, it was definetly time for a coat of protectant.

After doing my research, I settled on aerospace 303 fabric wash and protectant. The main reason for my choice was ease of application. It simply requires a wash of the top (and drying) and application of the protectant (I used a paintbrush).

The instructions call for 2 coats so off I go but unfortunately it's quite cold here in oz at the moment (under 10oC) so it takes a while for the first layer to "dry". Surprisingly, The first layer takes a whole bottle (440ml) with a small section missing out.

I buy another bottle and start the 2nd coat and surprisingly this time, I only need about 1/2 a bottle. The first layer must have really soaked in!

Attached is an in progress pic of the 2nd coat which brushes on whiteish but then fades to clear.

After a few frosty mornings, the water is beading nicely on top but there are still sections where it is being absorbed so I'll apply another coat when the weather is better. The finish is a nice Matt black as well as an added bonus!

ill post some pics of the beading tomorrow
Old 06-22-2017, 06:31 PM

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
2018 E400 Coupe, 2016 Audi A6 3.0
http://www.haartz.com/cleaning-guide/cloth-top-cleaning

This is from the manufacturer of the top.
Old 06-25-2017, 02:37 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
C63 / E400 Cab

Hmmm, here is an (unintentional) side by side comparison of beading. looks like I need to do a few more layers. Just waiting for some sun.