E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Front rotor weight

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 08:19 AM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
2009 CLK550 convertible, 2012 ,,E550 Cabrio, 2012 Audi Q5
Front rotor weight

I just received front rotors from Brake Performance in California. I purchased these because they had a lifetime guarantee against warping. I felt the rotor was heavy so I decided to weigh it and it weighed in at 36 lbs. can anyone shed some light on the weight. I do not want to add unnecessary weight to the front suspension.
Old 09-08-2017, 03:10 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,044 Likes on 967 Posts
1999 E300TD
Go to any dealer ask them and ask then if you could look at a rotor for your VIN, then quickly run to he ladies room and put the rotor on the scale---what does it weigh--then tell us and no doubt they will make a sticky out of your post!
Old 09-09-2017, 02:36 PM

Same weight

So yesterday I replaced the front pads and rotors with centric posi- quiet ceramic pads and brake performance drilled rotors and the braking is perfectly smooth again and I weighed the factory rotors and they were 35 lbs, but were slightly worn.
Just a warning for anyone attending this DIY repair :
The sliding bolts securing the caliper to the bracket are 9 mm Allen/ hex heads, not a common size. I had an 8 and 10 which were either to small or to large. I could not find a 9 anywhere local so I ground s little off the 10 on all sides and made my own tool.
The anti squeal / spring on the outside secured by a torx(45) head bolt is tricky to orient properly on the bracket when replacing it. Both ends must be on the mounting bracket. When I removed mine, one side was not properly seated and had been done by a dealership for the previous owner.
This sliding caliper set up is different than most other Mercedes which use a fixed caliper.
Old 09-10-2017, 12:24 AM

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts
2000 c230 kompressor special edition, 2012 E550 coupe (sold), 2017 C63 sedan (sold), 2018 C63S Coupe
Originally Posted by Ptrigg17
So yesterday I replaced the front pads and rotors with centric posi- quiet ceramic pads and brake performance drilled rotors and the braking is perfectly smooth again and I weighed the factory rotors and they were 35 lbs, but were slightly worn.
Just a warning for anyone attending this DIY repair :
The sliding bolts securing the caliper to the bracket are 9 mm Allen/ hex heads, not a common size. I had an 8 and 10 which were either to small or to large. I could not find a 9 anywhere local so I ground s little off the 10 on all sides and made my own tool.
The anti squeal / spring on the outside secured by a torx(45) head bolt is tricky to orient properly on the bracket when replacing it. Both ends must be on the mounting bracket. When I removed mine, one side was not properly seated and had been done by a dealership for the previous owner.
This sliding caliper set up is different than most other Mercedes which use a fixed caliper.
The spring is a PITA to get back on, for future reference, I typically use a screwdriver wrapped in a microfiber cloth to pry the spring up using the hat of the rotor for leverage, you can then get the torx bolt in hand tight, it will pull the spring far enough up that it stays in place and you can remove the bolt again to install the vanity plate/cover.

Please keep us updated on the how well the rotors hold up, wish I would have seen this before I went the 2-piece route
Old 09-10-2017, 07:27 AM

Pad deposits on rotors

When I inspected the rotors that I removed there were obvious deposits on the rotors from the Mercedes pads. I could see the print of the pad on the rotor, probably the result of a hot rotor from a hard stop and then remaining stopped with the brakes engaged. The pads on my car (new to me ) were only about 1/8 worn. I believe the problem is not an actual distortion (warping) of the rotor but pad deposits on the rotors. These are the most beefy rotors I have ever seen, ventilated, and drilled. I have a hard time believing they could warp under normal driving. The previous owner of my car was an older woman who sold it because she could no longer get in and out comfortably, not the kind of person who would be driving hard enough to warp one of these rotors. When I purchased it the brake problem was already present.
That being said I decided to install ceramic pads in the hope that the problem is the OEM pad material. Time will tell.
Old 09-10-2017, 06:57 PM

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts
2000 c230 kompressor special edition, 2012 E550 coupe (sold), 2017 C63 sedan (sold), 2018 C63S Coupe
Originally Posted by Ptrigg17
When I inspected the rotors that I removed there were obvious deposits on the rotors from the Mercedes pads. I could see the print of the pad on the rotor, probably the result of a hot rotor from a hard stop and then remaining stopped with the brakes engaged. The pads on my car (new to me ) were only about 1/8 worn. I believe the problem is not an actual distortion (warping) of the rotor but pad deposits on the rotors. These are the most beefy rotors I have ever seen, ventilated, and drilled. I have a hard time believing they could warp under normal driving. The previous owner of my car was an older woman who sold it because she could no longer get in and out comfortably, not the kind of person who would be driving hard enough to warp one of these rotors. When I purchased it the brake problem was already present.
That being said I decided to install ceramic pads in the hope that the problem is the OEM pad material. Time will tell.
Out of curiosity, front right (passenger side) rotor? I had the same theory about material pick up rather than actual warping. The front right rotor is spinning "backwards" in terms of the cooling vains, so I'm thinking it stays too hot and thats allowing the pad material to stick to it when the pad is static on the rotor. I've run 2 piece rotors with correct directional cooling for over a year now and haven't had any warping issues (had fitment issues, but those have been solved). Also using the centric ceramic pads, really like them, WAY less dust than OEM.
Old 09-11-2017, 07:37 AM

Both

Actually both front rotors had similar marks from the pads . It appears that the previous owner may have made one hard stop and that did the rotors in. The pulsation was not bad but I am planning on a long trip and did not want to deal with it . If it was possible to turn the rotors I would have tried it because they had very little wear, but no go with drilled rotors.