E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

howling wind from passenger side - heater

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 04:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W207 convertible
howling wind from passenger side - heater

Hi all,

I promise I've searched for this but can't find anything - which I am hoping is a good thing rather than TADTS!

I collected my E350 convertible (A207 2012) yesterday so I'm very much at the learning stage of having a new (to me) car, though this replaces my CLK so I am familiar with Merc convertibles.

I assumed the howling/whistling from the heater was because there was a vent open or something.
But this morning I opened all the vents and it hasn't stopped the noise, so I did a bit of a search and I've found its coming from the passenger footwell vents,
I've shoved my fingers inside these square vents but can't see to get in very far, and there are lots of round holes in the panel with foam behind them, though the ones with no foam seem to have air coming out of them.
My gut feeling from this is this panel has been off for some reason and perhaps not refitted correctly.

Can anyone advise on what might be causing this whistle. I can't imagine the car staying long if I can't get rid of this noise.

Last edited by barreti; 11-13-2017 at 04:25 AM.
Old 11-13-2017, 06:16 AM

W207 convertible
Is there a cabin air filter in the passenger footwell?

I found this vid indicating there might be. I know it says C class but in the vid it mentions E class too - though the filter number would be different on my MY2012
Old 11-13-2017, 06:47 AM

W207 convertible
It looks like there IS one in the E350
The car in the video below is the same model and year as mine.

I'll pull this out tonight and check everything is as it should be.

Old 11-13-2017, 10:43 AM

W207 convertible
Well it turns out the cabin air filter was the problem.
The H shaped white bracket which holds the filter in place was only picking up on 2 of the 4 tabs it slides over to lock the filter in place. Because of this it was allowing the system to pull air past one end of the filter and whistle/howl.
I'm not surprised really because getting the H shaped clamp to fit was a sod of a job -
well, in the car park in my suit it was. But its done now and quiet as a church in the cabin. Lovely!