E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Aftermarket Radio

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-22-2018, 06:55 AM

Received 67 Likes on 60 Posts
E250 AMG Sport Convertible
Originally Posted by Dnasty

i spoke with both Ckm and aliexpress they both essentially said this install was a piece of cake. I watched the Ckm video for the e coupe and it simply showed removing old screen a long empty gap then installing the new screen.
Which video was that. Not seen the W207 install video from CKM. The W212 one which should be pretty similar (aircon vents are different) shows connectors needing to go into the back of the CD unit.

Have you got the link to the one you watched that shows otherwise?
The following users liked this post:
mapp (02-22-2019)
Old 08-23-2018, 03:58 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2011 E350 CDI A207
Originally Posted by 400ixl
Thinking about the year you may be right as you don't have the phono jack plug in the arm rest do you?
Ugh.... Phono jack.... So stereo only input. I believe the UHI connector allows for full digital audio so you should be able to pass 5.1 to it. I know the kit comes with a UHI to USB connector in it.
Old 08-23-2018, 04:01 AM

2011 E350 CDI A207
Which video was that. Not seen the W207 install video from CKM. The W212 one which should be pretty similar (aircon vents are different) shows connectors needing to go into the back of the CD unit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqyMJ50heOk&t=155s

I will do a full detailed A207 review. should be good for any W207 when mine arrives. I should be able to get it done quite quickly. Just waiting on mine to turn up now. 1-2 weeks apparently.
Old 08-23-2018, 05:35 AM

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
2010 e550 coupe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqyMJ50heOk&t=155s

I watched part 2 of that series. It's also the w212. There is no w207 installation. It may require removing the vents etc. and they are simply saying I can reach back there blindly and unplug the various cables which is probably possible but really hard so all these videos show removing everything. Both sellers are very short about installation questions likely because they want me to order it and know that if it requires those extra steps i'm just going to be mildly pissed and put it in anyway lol. I really just don't like removing things that have never been touched on older cars because there's always a chance something will go wrong or crack/break etc... Anyway I look forward to seeing your guys reviews/installs whoever gets it first let's see what happens. If I get mine first i'll share the installation steps as well. Also I do not have any jacks in the armrests but do have the jacks in the glove box..... but I believe everything runs through the head unit and the cabling they provide you only connects directly to the headunit which controls everything including mic etc. So I don't think it will effect any of the preexisting wiring as that comes out of the stock head unit.
Behold81 (08-23-2018)
Old 08-23-2018, 05:42 AM

2011 E350 CDI A207
I watched part 2 of that series. It's also the w212. There is no w207 installation. It may require removing the vents etc. and they are simply saying I can reach back there blindly and unplug the various cables which is probably possible but really hard so all these videos show removing everything. Both sellers are very short about installation questions likely because they want me to order it and know that if it requires those extra steps i'm just going to be mildly pissed and put it in anyway lol. I really just don't like removing things that have never been touched on older cars because there's always a chance something will go wrong or crack/break etc... Anyway I look forward to seeing your guys reviews/installs whoever gets it first let's see what happens. If I get mine first i'll share the installation steps as well. Also I do not have any jacks in the armrests but do have the jacks in the glove box..... but I believe everything runs through the head unit and the cabling they provide you only connects directly to the headunit which controls everything including mic etc. So I don't think it will effect any of the preexisting wiring as that comes out of the stock head unit.
Yeah I see mixed reviews. But one unboxing showed the UHI connector and phono option in the box.

Also It will be worth ensuring the USB cable is accessible for future uses like Carplay or maybe cabled ODB2
Old 08-23-2018, 05:47 AM

Ah, ok. Given I believe its only a couple of screws to remove the CD unit once you have the vents out it seems that it will be quicker and far less frustrating to just remove it rather than try to do it blind. I don't have the smallest of hands either :lol:

As I understand it, everything to do with the OEM system (radio / CD etc) goes through the original system. Anything generated out of the head unit itself (Android Apps etc) has to go back in via the AUX input of some sort, which for my model year I believe is the jack plug. This is part of the wiring loom they send as part of the kit.

Mine has apparently been sent, but not got any tacking number or anything to validate that against.
Old 08-23-2018, 06:07 AM

2010 e550 coupe
Originally Posted by Behold81
Yeah I see mixed reviews. But one unboxing showed the UHI connector and phono option in the box.

Also It will be worth ensuring the USB cable is accessible for future uses like Carplay or maybe cabled ODB2
yea I’ve also added the CarPlay adapter to my order. It is the wired one. I was hoping on the wireless version. Does anyone know if a WiFi dongle can be added to this to make it wireless?
Old 08-23-2018, 06:17 AM

2011 E350 CDI A207

yea I’ve also added the CarPlay adapter to my order. It is the wired one. I was hoping on the wireless version. Does anyone know if a WiFi dongle can be added to this to make it wireless?
Wireless car play is RARE! its only just started to be fiited to authorised head units. I think we will be another year before we get a wireless option for universal use.

I chose not to buy one till I have tested the unit. they are also a lot cheaper from other suppliers so will get one later on if I need it.
Old 08-27-2018, 08:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 E550 Coupe
Update:

I ordered the android unit from Chris at CKM. Got it today and installed it.

Im having a few issues so far: AC stopped working, no backup camera, and can’t access the original screen.

Also, it’s a tight fit behind the center console. I haven’t figured out how to stuff it all yet, but that’ll just take a few shots.

It does look good, just can’t wait to get it working.

I’ve emailed Chris and I’ve heard he’s pretty helpful, so I’ll keep y’all posted.
Old 08-27-2018, 08:57 PM

2010 e550 coupe
Originally Posted by dmndE550cp
Update:

I ordered the android unit from Chris at CKM. Got it today and installed it.

Im having a few issues so far: AC stopped working, no backup camera, and can’t access the original screen.

Also, it’s a tight fit behind the center console. I haven’t figured out how to stuff it all yet, but that’ll just take a few shots.

It does look good, just can’t wait to get it working.

I’ve emailed Chris and I’ve heard he’s pretty helpful, so I’ll keep y’all posted.
Glad you got it hooked up. Did installation require removal of the ac, phone and lower sections? If so that may be the reason why your ac no longer works possibly an unsecured connection?
Old 08-27-2018, 09:00 PM

2011 E550 Coupe
Yea, it requires removal of the cd unit, but not the AC control unit. I checked all the connections, no luck. I wish it wouldve been that easy!
Old 08-28-2018, 01:25 AM

2010 e550 coupe
Yea, it requires removal of the cd unit, but not the AC control unit. I checked all the connections, no luck. I wish it wouldve been that easy!
Darn that sucks thought it may have been a loose cable from the ac vents. Not sure how the unit would effect your ac... does it even have ac control functions or tie into that system of the car? Also how is the startup time on this unit... I heard that was a bit of an issue but possibly with the older quad core processors.
Old 08-28-2018, 05:38 AM

2011 E350 CDI A207
If you switch to the command system in the tablet can you see the AC Controls there?

it might be the format setup function in the tablet for the old comand that is causing issues?

Old 08-28-2018, 05:48 AM

2011 E550 Coupe
Chris just gave me some guidance and I’ll prolly try that later today or tmrw. He says it’s all can bus related, so I’ll give that a shot.

It seems to boot pretty quick and even switches over
to the backup camera quickly (just a black screen for me now though).

I can’t access command right now, so don’t know if that would work
Old 08-28-2018, 05:51 AM

2011 E350 CDI A207
Chris just gave me some guidance and I’ll prolly try that later today or tmrw. He says it’s all can bus related, so I’ll give that a shot.

It seems to boot pretty quick and even switches over
to the backup camera quickly (just a black screen for me now though).

I can’t access command right now, so don’t know if that would work
If the comand screen is not able to be seen (Black) then it sounds verymuch like the setting in the tablet to setup the comand layout (belive this is the can bus setup on the tablet) then ylou should see it all come up.
Old 08-30-2018, 07:58 AM

Got mine mainly fitted now.

Can absolutely confirm that you need to remove the old screen, the air vents and the cd unit to stand any chance of fitting this. I will also most likely need to dismantle the centre arm rest in order to neatly get the Aux/Phon cable and the 2 USB cables into the cubby hole. I have exported the instructions from the Mercedes apps if anyone needs them for these parts.

Installing it on the whole is straight forward, although getting the main loom behind the stereo back in is an absolute pain and you will scrape you hands trying to do it. Be prepared for many attempts and frustration, but it will go. The loom is about an inch too short between the OEM main block connector and the new one which makes it difficult to get the original block out of the way. In the bottom of the area the CD goes into, you will (if you move other wires away) find a hole, tuck the OEM block into there as much as you can and it should then fit back in OK.

The GPS I have suck to the underside of the dash behind where the new screen is. I didn't bother with either of the other aerials as the sim won't work outside of Chine due to the different bands and the WIFI is strong enough to pick up from within the house, so a hotspot is more than strong enough.

You then need to decide what you are doing to route the USB cables and phono leads. I have found they are not long enough to go all the way to the arm rest cubby when routed through the dash so have ordered extension leads. For the phone I have a noise filter as well to guard against interference.

On mine I kept the A/A connector in the loom but in order to get the OEM display I had to set the comand layout in the config to 4 rather than 2 and that is now working.
Dnasty (08-31-2018)
Old 08-30-2018, 09:43 PM

2010 e550 coupe
Got mine mainly fitted now.

Can absolutely confirm that you need to remove the old screen, the air vents and the cd unit to stand any chance of fitting this.
Great news thanks for this info. How is the startup time? Also do you know if the factory aux and iPhone cables will still function with the new unit? I bought one of those iPhone to Bluetooth converters which I assume I can get rid of now.
Old 08-31-2018, 02:27 PM

I don't use an iPhone so can't comment on that side. You bluetooth directly to the new unit for phone calls if that's what you mean.

Now fitted the phono cable into the Aux phono port in the armrest, its a bit of another mammoth task removing the arm rest but its now all done. Connected up with no visible cables anywhere.

Will start playing with the actual functionality now to see how to configure it all properly.
Old 08-31-2018, 02:58 PM

2011 E350 CDI A207
I get mine soon. Hopefully I can put up some pics and videos.
Old 08-31-2018, 03:38 PM

I'll take some pics of mine over the weekend.

Have you got the instructions for dismantling the dash and centre console? If you need them, PM me an email address and I'll send you the extracts from Mercedes WIS workshop Manual.
Old 08-31-2018, 03:45 PM

Lets see if these upload OK.

Should be the ones you need to remove everything for fitting the unit and getting the phone wire into the aux port in the arm rest.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
CD Unit Removal.pdf (173.2 KB, 188 views)
Centre Arm Rest Removal.pdf (231.0 KB, 117 views)
Centre Console Removal.pdf (520.5 KB, 151 views)
Arm Rest Removal.pdf (423.2 KB, 97 views)
The following 2 users liked this post by 400ixl:
Dnasty (08-31-2018), mdzukunft (06-01-2019)
Old 08-31-2018, 03:49 PM

2010 e550 coupe
I don't use an iPhone so can't comment on that side. You bluetooth directly to the new unit for phone calls if that's what you mean.

Now fitted the phono cable into the Aux phono port in the armrest, its a bit of another mammoth task removing the arm rest but its now all done. Connected up with no visible cables anywhere.

Will start playing with the actual functionality now to see how to configure it all properly.
I meant the iphone cable and aux/phono jacks that already are present in the cars glove box, this is probably an option that I have on my car that isn't as common. I'm guessing the canbus features will integrate with the stock command features wondering how the phone integration will work as my car already has bluetooth for phone calls. Your cd player/dvd player still work yes? Also how is the startup time on the android unit is it comparable to your stock?
Old 08-31-2018, 03:56 PM

Assume you have an earlier model with the UCI connections in the glovebox rather than the later cars which have the phone AUx socket and USB in the arm rest.

The kit comes with an adapter to connect the system to the Aux in Comand, so that gets used for sending sound from the new HU to Comand. Everything else like the Radio and CD work (I assume as I have never actually ever used such old technology in mine) as they would with the Comand interface shown on the new HU. You then connect the iPhone directly to the new HU via Bluetooth and no longer use the phone function in Comand.

Start up wise it takes about 10 seconds for the unit to boot. If you have the Radio in Comand running that comes on instantly as it doesn't need the HU, you just don't see the display until it has booted.
Old 08-31-2018, 07:07 PM

2010 e550 coupe
Assume you have an earlier model with the UCI connections in the glovebox rather than the later cars which have the phone AUx socket and USB in the arm rest.

The kit comes with an adapter to connect the system to the Aux in Comand, so that gets used for sending sound from the new HU to Comand. Everything else like the Radio and CD work (I assume as I have never actually ever used such old technology in mine) as they would with the Comand interface shown on the new HU. You then connect the iPhone directly to the new HU via Bluetooth and no longer use the phone function in Comand.

Start up wise it takes about 10 seconds for the unit to boot. If you have the Radio in Comand running that comes on instantly as it doesn't need the HU, you just don't see the display until it has booted.
Not too bad. Thanks for all the follow up this might be a good stickie thread as I see a lot of people doing or wanting to do this mod.
Old 08-31-2018, 07:07 PM

2011 E350 CDI A207
Lets see if these upload OK.

Should be the ones you need to remove everything for fitting the unit and getting the phone wire into the aux port in the arm rest.
awesome. Do you have the proper tools? Or did you fashion something

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Radio