E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

2016 E400 Cabriolet Rear Speakers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2019, 12:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 E400 Cabriolet
2016 E400 Cabriolet Rear Speakers

Hello, I just bought a 2016 E400 Cab (HK sound system) and noticed that when the top goes down, the rear speakers seem to quiet down tremendously. This seems electronically controlled by the car since when the top is put back up, the second it locks down the rear speakers kick up again tremendously.

I’m just wondering if anyone has found a way to stop this “quieting” from happening? I understand the rear speakers are (strangely) mounted upwards so the quieting is likely to spare other drivers from hearing the sound from the car, but this effect makes the music sound terrible in the car with the top down. You only hear the “tinny” front speakers even with the fader turned all the way to rear. And adjusting the equalizer for top-down listening helps, but then sounds terrible when the top is up again. To me this is a huge design flaw.

Alternatively, has anyone installed additional rear speakers in this version of the E400 to help with this problem? Anyway, I’m new to this forum and couldn’t find any info on this, so thanks in advance for any info y'all can provide.

Old 05-30-2019, 09:50 PM

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts
2015 E400
Originally Posted by JamesOrtega
Hello, I just bought a 2016 E400 Cab (HK sound system) and noticed that when the top goes down, the rear speakers seem to quiet down tremendously. This seems electronically controlled by the car since when the top is put back up, the second it locks down the rear speakers kick up again tremendously.

I’m just wondering if anyone has found a way to stop this “quieting” from happening? I understand the rear speakers are (strangely) mounted upwards so the quieting is likely to spare other drivers from hearing the sound from the car, but this effect makes the music sound terrible in the car with the top down. You only hear the “tinny” front speakers even with the fader turned all the way to rear. And adjusting the equalizer for top-down listening helps, but then sounds terrible when the top is up again. To me this is a huge design flaw.

Alternatively, has anyone installed additional rear speakers in this version of the E400 to help with this problem? Anyway, I’m new to this forum and couldn’t find any info on this, so thanks in advance for any info y'all can provide.
Not sure I understand exactly what you're saying, but I think you're saying that with the top down, the sound volume seems lower? That's simple physics. You're going from an environment with reflective surfaces (top up) to a wide-open environment with no reflective surfaces for the rear deck speakers. I'm surprised MB didn't program the audio to automatically correct for that, but with the top down, even if you cranked up the level in the rears, I don't think you could ever come close to the balanced situation you have when the top is up.

That said, I've never expected great sound from convertibles with the top-down, but with the top-up, I have to say the sound is pretty good, for a convertible. I've been very happy about that. I won't spend money to improve the sound system in a convertible, but a coupe or sedan, I'd be more than willing to pay for a good sound system.

With the top down, I just want sunshine, wind and a nice exhaust note...
Old 05-30-2019, 11:17 PM

2016 E400 Cabriolet
Originally Posted by pl626
Not sure I understand exactly what you're saying, but I think you're saying that with the top down, the sound volume seems lower? That's simple physics. You're going from an environment with reflective surfaces (top up) to a wide-open environment with no reflective surfaces for the rear deck speakers. I'm surprised MB didn't program the audio to automatically correct for that, but with the top down, even if you cranked up the level in the rears, I don't think you could ever come close to the balanced situation you have when the top is up.

That said, I've never expected great sound from convertibles with the top-down, but with the top-up, I have to say the sound is pretty good, for a convertible. I've been very happy about that. I won't spend money to improve the sound system in a convertible, but a coupe or sedan, I'd be more than willing to pay for a good sound system.

With the top down, I just want sunshine, wind and a nice exhaust note...
Unfortunately, it’s not the physics of the top being up or down. When I first got the car, I thought the exact same thing, but now I can see that the sound is low or bad or whatever it is as the top is going up and to the point when the it’s latched in front and the only thing left is the clicking down onto the back/trunk. As soon as that click of the back of the top onto the trunk happens, the sound suddenly changes to good/full again. If it was simply a sound reflection issue, the sound would gradually improve as the top closed, but it’s definitely a sudden you change when it latches onto the trunk.

In any case, thanks for then input. I was thinking of seeing if a car audio shop could add some speakers to the sidewalls at the back seats, but i think there may be mechanisms for the top behind those sidewalls since the cabriolet is narrower there than the same year coupe.
Old 06-12-2019, 05:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2016 eclass cabriolet
I had the exact same problem (2016 550, E-class cabriolet). Top closed, system booming. Top open, would boom until ignition turned off for a while, when turned back on, sound was horrible. Took to MB, they said no error code no problem. I said no way. Sounds bad error or no. Sounded really scratchy. When faded to rear, sounded a little better. When faded to center, front tweeter was rattling really bad. Shop tech heard and agreed that front tweeter was bad. Car still at MB, part ordered. Understand because sun shines through windshield, they tend to go bad. When tried to explain sound diff top up, vs down, they thought I was loony. As for why volume was so loud when open, vs closed, tech said maybe there is a command setting that allows you to create an open profile vs closed profile. Either way would not want it low volume when top open and high when top closed. Researching to see if there is such a profile. Will follow up. Would appreciate any feed back.
Old 11-23-2019, 12:17 PM

E400 Cabriolet
I have a 2016 E400 Cabriolet with exact same speaker issue. As soon as the top is up and locks in the rear speakers turn on. When the top is lowered they turn off. I am also trying to find a way to stop the rear speakers from turning off when the top goes down. Anyone have any ideas?
Old 10-08-2020, 11:25 AM

2016 Mercedes Benz E400
Originally Posted by Canadianman
I have a 2016 E400 Cabriolet with exact same speaker issue. As soon as the top is up and locks in the rear speakers turn on. When the top is lowered they turn off. I am also trying to find a way to stop the rear speakers from turning off when the top goes down. Anyone have any ideas?
Hello Everybody,
I have recently bought a 2016 E400 Cabriolet with the Harman Kardon sound system. Regarding the rear deck speakers, they do cut off when the part that holds them latches/unlatches from the car, but they continue to work after that. You probably noticed that this part is fairly slim, so I would not expect big sound from these speakers as there is no physical space to mount speakers with decent magnets. But I also noticed that when I enter in my garage with the top down and the sound system on the sound immediately changes and becomes fuller.
My main complaint is the sound quality and volume. I owned two BMW 6 series convertibles with the standard BMW sound system, and the sound quality and volume were much better. The sound system in my car can barely manage bass without distorting badly at reasonable volume levels (I am 50 years old so I do not pump up the volume often), and the treble sound is barely noticeable even with Treble setting level at max. I refuse to believe that this is the sound system of a car that had an original sticker price of over $80K. So I am inclined to believe that there is something wrong with the sound system. Before I spend $200 at the MB dealer to probably get a BS answer and a $2K repair estimate, I was wondering if someone else experienced something similar. Do these cars have a subwoofer per se?
Any response will be much appreciated.
Thanks everybody.
Old 10-09-2020, 06:33 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
C63 / E400 Cab
Hi all, sorry but I have no input into a solution but the sound on my a207 top up or down is good. I don’t notice it drop when the top is dropped, it sounds nice and clear still.

I seem to recall there is a setting in the Comand system for auto sound but I think it related to turning the volume up as the car went faster.

Old 10-11-2020, 05:41 PM

2016 e400 convertible
Not sure I've seen an answer here - is there a solution to this problem? I'm having the same issue
Old 10-13-2020, 08:23 AM

2016 e400 convertible
did u ever get a response to this problem? i'm having same issue -
Old 07-31-2021, 02:11 PM

2016 E400, 2011 ML550, 2012 GL450, 2011 GLK350
Same exact problem, dealer not helpful so far. Sound increases exponentially with more bass from the rear speakers a few seconds after the top closes, right when the lid for the convertible compartment locks shut. Anyone find a fix for this yet?
Old 08-01-2021, 11:33 AM

2016 e400 convertible
Originally Posted by wtwei
Same exact problem, dealer not helpful so far. Sound increases exponentially with more bass from the rear speakers a few seconds after the top closes, right when the lid for the convertible compartment locks shut. Anyone find a fix for this yet?
As of right now - still no valid or logical solution to this problem......