E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Steering column wont move up or down

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2023, 02:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,358 Likes on 2,236 Posts
MY'14 W212 M276 3.5NA @55kMi
tight tilt

Originally Posted by pierrejoliat
Thank you Cali, I will look for that posting, my in and out has always worked fine, the only issue I've had is wit the easy entry feature binding in the up position, so stuck up. last time this happened was at least a couple years ago and I use the feature daily, so very intermittent, both of the last times, a small force was required, just some small palm bumps on the top and bottom, this time took more force and more palm smacks to resolve. Thanks for the help!
Pierre, okay got it.
Your only problem is with the column TILT motion.

then concentrate only on the motor that using a flex coupling... it's "super simple", youll love the results!

The far end away from 12V actuator has a grossly misadjusted bearing - Play with that adjustment to your liking.

(Even if 100% loose this adjustment does not give any free-play to steering column... meaning it can be finger tight and column will still be perfect).

Instead of rewriting everything... Let's move further "column fixing" back to existing W212 thread where my column No II is. There you'll see the flexible tilt needs a bit of plastic filling too...

It's nearly child's play fun to make this clunky system better.
The following users liked this post:
pierrejoliat (02-13-2023)
Old 05-23-2024, 09:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W212
Originally Posted by Chevota
I had this problem. It appears the motor drives (screws) the steering wheel up until it stops, but as many things you screw until they stop, it takes more force to break the stiction and unscrew than it did to tighten it.
I heard it's supposed to be programmable so it will raise the wheel but stop before the screw mechanism bottoms out, true or not this didn't happen with mine and I assume yours.
The fix is to simply give it a nudge to break that stiction. You can try to hit the wheel, but I'd imagine hitting the wheel up, not down, would be the way to do it. Hitting down is putting even more pressure on the nut/screw that is stuck, but it does shock it which is no doubt why it sometimes works. So try hitting it up as well and see what happens.
Back to the nudge part. There's a motor with a flex-shaft that drives it up/down. You can see the motor try to turn the flex shaft in an attempt to lower the wheel, but as mentioned it doesn't have the power to break it free. So note the direction it's trying to turn, and give it a nudge with a wrench. If aft looking fwd it should be clockwise. Do not allow the motor to run with a wrench on there because as soon as it breaks free it'll start spinning fast and take the wrench with it. So nudge it, remove the wrench, then push the down lever and it should be good to go. I used a little 4" adjustable wrench because it's a tight fit under there, plus I didn't want to fumble around for the correct size so the all-sixteenths is perfect. Or all-mm in this case? You want to turn the steel sleeve that is crimped down on the flex-shaft, which is a six sided crimp so a wrench fits well.
To get in there you have to remove the large black plastic cover under the steering wheel assy that separates your legs from all the stuff under the dash. A gross est is it's maybe 20" around and sorta squarish. It simply had several Torx screws, I think T20? That part was easy to remove but the hood lever is attached. Getting the hood lever out, with its one screw, was easy. Getting it screwed back in not so much. I told myself if I ever had to do this again I'd try to do it without removing the hood lever. I removed it because I wasn't sure what it would look like in there, or what I needed to do, so I needed the cover out so I could get a good look. So with this description and the pix I imagine you can try it without removing the hood lever, but up to you. Note; the pix shows the steering wheel assy upside down, and the left side is pointing to the front of the car. Basically just look for that flex shaft, which the motor will torque on when you push the down lever. I did mine many months ago, maybe a year, and it hasn't caused me any trouble since. If it does you can simply turn off the auto-raise/lower function, which I forgot what it's called but I believe it's in the dash menu options.

​​​​​​@Chevota Thanks for your instructions. I solved my problem. It was stuck, Your post is GOLD