E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Going to coil overs with electronic damping suspension.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-05-2020, 06:05 PM

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
2010 e550 coupe
Going to coil overs with electronic damping suspension.

I was ready to install lowering springs until I noticed my rear shocks starting to go. Now I’m looking at installing coil overs. I am just not sure on what needs to be done with the sport mode system. I’ve read that it has to be disabled for a coil over installation which I’m not too keen on considering it effects throttle and gear shifting as well (would I lose all sport mode functions?). Has anyone done this on a w207 with electronic damping suspension?
Old 11-06-2020, 03:49 AM

Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts
2000 c230 kompressor special edition, 2004 E320 (sold), 2012 E550 coupe (sold), 2017 C63 sedan
Originally Posted by Dnasty
I was ready to install lowering springs until I noticed my rear shocks starting to go. Now I’m looking at installing coil overs. I am just not sure on what needs to be done with the sport mode system. I’ve read that it has to be disabled for a coil over installation which I’m not too keen on considering it effects throttle and gear shifting as well (would I lose all sport mode functions?). Has anyone done this on a w207 with electronic damping suspension?
If the factory suspension is left unplugged you'll actually be stuck in sport all the time. KW sells a set of coil overs that come with modules to fool the car into thinking the factory suspension is still plugged in. This will allow the sport button to function as normal, but you lose the suspension adjustment, the KW suspension doesn't adjust with the button. AFAIK they don't sell the module(s) separately in the US, so you have to buy the full KW kit.
The following users liked this post:
Dnasty (11-06-2020)
Old 11-06-2020, 07:12 AM

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
2010 e550 coupe
Originally Posted by crazy00c230k
If the factory suspension is left unplugged you'll actually be stuck in sport all the time. KW sells a set of coil overs that come with modules to fool the car into thinking the factory suspension is still plugged in. This will allow the sport button to function as normal, but you lose the suspension adjustment, the KW suspension doesn't adjust with the button. AFAIK they don't sell the module(s) separately in the US, so you have to buy the full KW kit.
Thanks, I was able to find the kw cancellation kit alone, still pricey... $400 but probably worth it. I was looking at going with a bc racing setup but get mixed reviews on their quality.