E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

ESC Inoperative - Need Suggestions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2021, 06:59 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2010 E550 Coupe
ESC Inoperative - Need Suggestions

I think I have pieced up enough to figure out exactly what is going on and now I'm looking for next steps to fix. I do know I need to purchase a scan tool that is geared towards MB - I'm open to recommendations.

So, when I start up my car and drive it, it makes a sound as if a motor is running, but not doing what it should be doing. It sounds like a rubbing noise more than anything else.

Next, when I am driving - if I have driven for awhile and need to go full throttle, the display will say ESC Inoperative - See Operator's Manual. Also, two more ESC related lights will come on in the dash. Then the car will go into a limp mode and I'll need to pull over and restart and everything is good.

I am thinking that the two symptoms are related.

Any ideas on where to start here? I'm pretty sure something needs to be replaced.

Last edited by qdeezie; 01-17-2021 at 07:07 PM.
Old 01-18-2021, 06:29 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,040 Likes on 964 Posts
1999 E300TD
yea geta MB XDOS scan tool then take three months trying to understand the scan results
Old 02-18-2021, 08:45 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2010 E550 Coupe
I did a bit of research on this and it seems like for the ESC Inoperative issue, it is usually the accelerator pedal sensor or the brake pedal light switch. I bought a scan tool, but not yet had a chance to run scans, but one of these seems to be the problem. I will likely replace both anyway just due to mileage.

As for the noise, upon putting my car up on jackstands (I finally figured out how to jack the thing up) it looks like my Power Steering pump has a leak. Probably the O ring. I think the noise I described is coming from the fluid being low or either the pump being bad. I'm going to roll the dice and try replacing the seal first. Also, I will flush out all of the old fluid. If the noise is still there, I'll consider replacing the pump.

Just wanted to provide an update on what my research has turned up in the event others run into something similar.