E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

COMAND multimedia joystick replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-10-2021, 10:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 E350 Coupe
COMAND multimedia joystick replacement

I have the Android 10.25" screen and during a re-install, I think I damaged the COMAND joystick on the center console (it could move the joystick and click the buttons but they weren't getting the signal to COMAND - and, yes, - I checked the cable connection). I removed the old unit and purchased a used OEM unit on eBay and installed. I have read that the new-to-the-car part needs to be flashed to operate.

When I went to MB this AM, the jerks quoted me $250 just to start the diagnostic procedure (that's more than I make as a physician seeing multiple patients in the ER!). I informed them it likely only required a flash but they acted like they had no idea what I was talking about. (FWIW, Autobahn Motors in the Bay Area is my least favorite MB dealer. They never listen when I go there for service.)

So a couple of questions:
1. Can a non-dealer perform the flash? What is required? There are computers available for sale for several hundred bucks. Would it be worth it just to pick one up so I can avoid the dealer forevermore?
2. Is this a normal quote from the dealer to flash this unit?
3. All I really need is to find a way to tap into AUX on COMAND so I can divert the audio stream to my Android screen. Can I do that from the COMAND unit itself (and bypass the joystick for now)?
Old 03-11-2021, 01:22 AM

2011 C207 E550
Have you considered repairing it? I'm assuming that it's the controller shaft, which is a known issue and can be swapped out with a much sturdier part.
The broken shaft can be replaced by a part often found for less than $10 (ebay, amazon, etc.). Bunch of Youtube tutorials available for DIY.
Here is an example:
If this is the case, you can keep the original joystick/controller assembly so there's no need to flash (if that is even necessary).

Good luck!

Last edited by route246; 03-11-2021 at 02:36 AM. Reason: additional information for clarity
Old 03-11-2021, 02:58 AM

2013 E350 Coupe
I'm fairly certain this isn't the issue as the two side buttons are also non-operational. However, my torx set is coming tomorrow and I have nothing else to do. So we'll see.

Update: The post was not broken. After testing, it was determined it is the after-market CarLife harness (that connects the OEM harness to COMAND) that is causing the problem. When I connect the OEM harness to COMAND, the old multi-media knob works just fine. Just out the cost of the spare multi-media knob. Still cheaper than going to the dealer; and they probably still could not have figured it out as quickly as I did.

Last edited by mdzukunft; 03-13-2021 at 02:08 AM.