E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Battery Replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-13-2021, 11:36 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
E 450 4matic cab MY22
Battery Replacement

Just replaced both batteries in my 2014 E350 cabriolet. They were both the original so they were around 7 years of use. Amazing. I replaced the trunk battery first, and then the main battery under the hood. I used a motorcycle battery in the trunk, one that was recommended on MBmedic. Under the hood I went with a battery from Batteries plus. It was an exact replacement and fit like a glove. I think it was labeled dura cell. Anyway the vent, the cables and the covers all fit just as they should with no modification. This battery came with a four year warranty. Interesting to me was that the car retained all of the memory settings. I suppose the trunk battery kept 12 volts to the system. I was careful to tape the positive cable when I removed it so that it would not touch ground. The dealer wanted $450 for the job. With tax and core return I paid $250 for the front battery. I didn't get a dealer price for replacing the battery in the trunk. I paid about $50 for it.

The job took about an hour. Most of that was spent being extra cautious removing the front battery so as not to damage anything under the hood. It was a little awkward to remove as it is rather heavy. For those of you who don't know, the hood on the E350 can be further raised to about a 90 degree angle when working under it. Simply push it to extend the struts that support it.

There is a very nice video on YouTube showing how to do both jobs. Not a bad job if you are someone who likes to DIY.
Old 10-13-2021, 12:10 PM

Received 123 Likes on 99 Posts
2018 E400 Coupe
Battery in my 2018 E400C crapped out entirely the other day, after several months of running low and triggering messages to "check the manual." (I wasn't driving the car much at all due to the pandemic, working entirely from home, etc.; driving the car a few miles always brought it back to life for a while — until one day there was no juice at all when I got in the car.) Fortunately the battery's early death coincided with the need for my annual maintenance appointment, so I called the local dealer (Mercedes Benz of South Bay in nearby Torrance, CA), which put me in touch with MB, which in turn sent a flatbed truck to haul my car to the dealer (at no charge, I might add). Dealer deemed the battery kaput and replaced it — under warranty, free, no charge to me at all. I thanked the service advisor and out of idle curiosity asked what it would have cost if the car had not been within the warranty period. I was shocked when he said it would have been "about $650.00." When I commented, "Oh, I guess it's not a Delco," he replied, "Yup, that's Mercedes for you!"
Old 10-13-2021, 04:11 PM

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts
13 E550 Coupe & 99 C280
I replaced the ONLY battery in my 2013 E550 coupe a couple weeks ago with a DieHard AGM.....$177 no core @ Advanced. I didn't wanna bother with reprogramming everything so I just swapped them out while the car was running. It took about 30 mins total.
Old 10-13-2021, 04:52 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
E 450 4matic cab MY22
. "It took about 30 mins total. " Wow! you are quite a mechanic. And with the motor running! Good job.
Old 10-20-2021, 04:22 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
A207
Smile

Originally Posted by The_Judge
Battery in my 2018 E400C crapped out entirely the other day, after several months of running low and triggering messages to "check the manual." (I wasn't driving the car much at all due to the pandemic, working entirely from home, etc.; driving the car a few miles always brought it back to life for a while — until one day there was no juice at all when I got in the car.) Fortunately the battery's early death coincided with the need for my annual maintenance appointment, so I called the local dealer (Mercedes Benz of South Bay in nearby Torrance, CA), which put me in touch with MB, which in turn sent a flatbed truck to haul my car to the dealer (at no charge, I might add). Dealer deemed the battery kaput and replaced it — under warranty, free, no charge to me at all. I thanked the service advisor and out of idle curiosity asked what it would have cost if the car had not been within the warranty period. I was shocked when he said it would have been "about $650.00." When I commented, "Oh, I guess it's not a Delco," he replied, "Yup, that's Mercedes for you!"
Good Job and a nice saving