E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Screen on ac/heater climate control sun cracked

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-25-2021, 09:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 E350 Cabrio, 2017 Mazda6
Question Screen on ac/heater climate control sun cracked

Just wonder if anyone else have had this issue. my 2012 A207 developed a find cracking of the screen over the readout on the climate control.
I am looking at replacing the unit, but wonder if anyone else have seen the same, ideas to fix, and/or if replacement is straight forward or if I need to have the replacement unit reconfigured for my car?
Plug and play would be great, but I am not sure. Currently all is working fine, it is just a cosmetic issue.
Old 11-01-2021, 07:47 AM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
E400 W207 C320 W203
I've read that there is an anti-theft code that you need to have when you are replacing the radio.
Old 11-01-2021, 10:09 AM

Received 67 Likes on 60 Posts
E250 AMG Sport Convertible
The anti-theft is in the main Comand unit which in the 2012 A207 is the part with the CD player in it. There is no screen on that unit so this should not be an issue. The video linked above is not for this car and as such is not really relevant.

I assume you are talking about the control panel below this which has the controls for the individual front temperatures, zone control and on/off and auto? If so then I believe this is a fairly straight forward swap out part with one of the same part number. To get it out, you need to remove the centre air vents first, then the Comand unit. The heated seats panel below Comand is attached to the Comand unit so will come out with that unit. Once those are out you will be able to remove the panel for the A/C control which has the screen and switches all as one unit to be swapped out.

Fairly straight forward and to someone who has done it before, would take 30 minutes to do. A garage shouldn't really charge more than an hours labour if they know what they are doing. A novice should be able to do it in an hour or so.

Tools wise you would need a set of hooks to get the air vents out, a small flat blade screw driver to undo the clips holding the various wire plugs into the units you want to get out of the way, a star drive to get the Comand unit out and a phillips screwdriver for the A/C panel screws.
Old 11-01-2021, 10:26 AM

E400 W207 C320 W203
Talking

Originally Posted by 400ixl
The anti-theft is in the main Comand unit which in the 2012 A207 is the part with the CD player in it. There is no screen on that unit so this should not be an issue. The video linked above is not for this car and as such is not really relevant.

I assume you are talking about the control panel below this which has the controls for the individual front temperatures, zone control and on/off and auto? If so then I believe this is a fairly straight forward swap out part with one of the same part number. To get it out, you need to remove the centre air vents first, then the Comand unit. The heated seats panel below Comand is attached to the Comand unit so will come out with that unit. Once those are out you will be able to remove the panel for the A/C control which has the screen and switches all as one unit to be swapped out.

Fairly straight forward and to someone who has done it before, would take 30 minutes to do. A garage shouldn't really charge more than an hours labour if they know what they are doing. A novice should be able to do it in an hour or so.

Tools wise you would need a set of hooks to get the air vents out, a small flat blade screw driver to undo the clips holding the various wire plugs into the units you want to get out of the way, a star drive to get the Comand unit out and a phillips screwdriver for the A/C panel screws.
You're absolutely right. I read the word "screen" and ignored everything else...Probably because I was recently looking into the possibility of an upgrade from NTG 4.5 to 5.0 in my 2015 E400. That's where the anti-theft coding would be necessary when changing units.
Old 11-01-2021, 10:37 AM

Received 67 Likes on 60 Posts
E250 AMG Sport Convertible
Thankfully even then the main screen is not part of the Comand unit and its own separate unit higher on the dash in these models. That I also don't believe is security coded and can be swapped out.

I went down the route of a 10" Android upgrade rather than the cost of upgrading to NTG 5 which is still quite basic by todays standards. Keeps the old NTG 4.5 for the basics like the radio but replaces the screen and gives you modern functionality of full android.
Old 11-01-2021, 11:16 AM

E400 W207 C320 W203
Originally Posted by 400ixl
Thankfully even then the main screen is not part of the Comand unit and its own separate unit higher on the dash in these models. That I also don't believe is security coded and can be swapped out.

I went down the route of a 10" Android upgrade rather than the cost of upgrading to NTG 5 which is still quite basic by todays standards. Keeps the old NTG 4.5 for the basics like the radio but replaces the screen and gives you modern functionality of full android.
Right again. What was I thinking? I had made up my mind to go with a 12.3'' android screen that has independent graphics. Why would I want to bother upgrading the NTG? Thanks again for your words of wisdom.

Last edited by Paul Shalom; 11-01-2021 at 11:20 AM.