E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Help - 2011 E550C tranny slipping, hunting and clunking

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-07-2021, 01:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2011 E550 Coupe
Help - 2011 E550C tranny slipping, hunting and clunking

Hi all. I did a search through this forum and can't find any related threads. My transmission is giving me weird issues all of a sudden. When cruising at a consistent speed it seems to hunt back and forth between the gear it should be in and what almost seems to be a passing gear or something, the rpm doesn't change much only about 150 rpm. But when it does it clunks and jolts as it's going back and forth. This happens in auto mode. Also if you increase the throttle and attempt to accelerate while it's at the slightly higher rpm, it will jump down slightly in rpm and clunk/jolt again. This happens in auto mode AND in manual mode.

Has anyone heard of any weird issues like this? It came on all of a sudden. Could it be electronic?

Can anyone tell me exactly what type of transmission is in these cars? I'd like to investigate the internal workings of it.

I'm going to take it to a transmission shop; rather than the dealership, I'm tired of getting raped by them.

Anyone in the Vancouver area know of any reliable Euro/MB experts?
Old 11-07-2021, 02:29 AM

Received 47 Likes on 20 Posts
AMG GTS (2016), GL63 (2016), SL63 (2022) -- Old Cars: E400, CLS 63s, ML 63, CL 600, S550 ...
Originally Posted by TherealJT
Hi all. I did a search through this forum and can't find any related threads. My transmission is giving me weird issues all of a sudden. When cruising at a consistent speed it seems to hunt back and forth between the gear it should be in and what almost seems to be a passing gear or something, the rpm doesn't change much only about 150 rpm. But when it does it clunks and jolts as it's going back and forth. This happens in auto mode. Also if you increase the throttle and attempt to accelerate while it's at the slightly higher rpm, it will jump down slightly in rpm and clunk/jolt again. This happens in auto mode AND in manual mode.

Has anyone heard of any weird issues like this? It came on all of a sudden. Could it be electronic?

Can anyone tell me exactly what type of transmission is in these cars? I'd like to investigate the internal workings of it.

I'm going to take it to a transmission shop; rather than the dealership, I'm tired of getting raped by them.

Anyone in the Vancouver area know of any reliable Euro/MB experts?
You might call Matt at Norwescan Motors. I believe he's a past Mercedes Technician. He's a very nice guy as well.

Good luck.