E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Ceramic coating E550

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-11-2022, 10:15 AM

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
Bi-Turbo E550 Coupe (W207)
Ceramic coating E550

I decided to have my 2012 E550 coupe professionally detailed. The detailer mentioned the protective coating last five years. Does anyone have experience with ceramic coating and does it last?

This is full list of services performed.

Hand Wash
Clay Bar (Removes Deeply Embedded Dirt & Contaminants)
Iron Decontamination (Removes Brake Dust Deposits)
Gloss Enhancement Polish (Removes Swirls And Brings Back Deep Shine)
5 Year Coating Applied To Paint and optics
Paint correction
Vehicle lifted in the air to remove the wheels. This allows for a deep cleaning of all the surfaces. Each wheel is coated inside and out, the calipers are coated, as well as coating the tires with a 6 month protectant

Given the unique color of my E, thought it best to do this at least once. Will add pictures once vehicle has finished the process, it takes a couple days.
Old 06-11-2022, 03:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 E350 Convertible
I love ceramic! I've put it on all 3 of my vehicles the first one has been done 4 years ago and it still beads amazingly well. Granted I also "refresh" it with SiO2 every few months. I had one car that sat outside for a year and still beads just like the 1 that has been inside for 4 years. I just did my E350 I've uploaded a video of it, it had been rained on and this was just me rinsing it off before I washed it.

I no longer wax any of my vehicles, I will always use ceramic from now on.
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_1993.MOV (2.05 MB, 43 views)
Old 06-11-2022, 04:16 PM

Received 152 Likes on 121 Posts
2012 E350 Cabriolet now SOLD to my son
OP what is the original colour that is unique?. My 2012 A207 e350 is the Stannite 789 code, I 've never seen another one with that colour on road. It is like a metallic green- grey with tan leather interior and black top
Old 06-11-2022, 04:42 PM

My paint code is 786 and is the Olivine Grey which is a olive green color. Here it is getting ceramic coated on the wheels, calipers, as well as on the paint. It was only available for four years 2010-2014, and only for the E.

The following users liked this post:
Siegmann (06-13-2022)
Old 06-12-2022, 09:09 AM

Got it back. Looks amazing and huge difference to the caliper and rim having ceramic coating on all the surfaces outside and inside of the wheel. Time will tell that it lasts, I trust the company that did my work, very knowledgeable and passionate team. If in Chicago area check out https://dandreadetail.com/home.

This was April picture after getting new rotors and then after the cleaning and ceramic coating of the caliper. Huge difference!
Siegmann (06-13-2022)
Old 06-13-2022, 09:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E550 coupe
Sounds like a good outfit. I think true "wax" is becoming a thing of the past. Guess it depends in your specific application.
Re durability...I once contacted a ceramic manufacturer about applying a coat or two on wheels (metal). I was told ceramics adhere best to and last longer on paint. That being said, any protection is better than none.
Your car looks great BTW.
Old 06-15-2022, 01:46 PM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
2011 E550 Cab
Originally Posted by ibbij
My paint code is 786 and is the Olivine Grey which is a olive green color. Here it is getting ceramic coated on the wheels, calipers, as well as on the paint. It was only available for four years 2010-2014, and only for the E.

My 2011 E550 Cab is paint code 786U and known as Stannite Grey. It also says this on the original window sticker. Your car looks great. I've been thinking about having the same work done.

Last edited by BigMike62; 06-15-2022 at 01:49 PM.
Old 06-15-2022, 02:23 PM

Received 152 Likes on 121 Posts
2012 E350 Cabriolet now SOLD to my son
that code is very close to mine. the color on mine is just a tiny bit greener. Those colours are quite rare.
Old 06-15-2022, 02:32 PM

2011 E550 Cab
Originally Posted by WRC-LVR
that code is very close to mine. the color on mine is just a tiny bit greener. Those colours are quite rare.
The paint codes are the same, just two different names for the same color.

My 2011 is the Launch Edition for the E-class cab which included the black/brown interior, 6 spoke AMG wheels, and paint code 786.

I get compliments on the car all of the time.
Old 06-15-2022, 05:51 PM

Definitely love the convertible look and experience for sure. I’m happy with the coupe as I’m in a part of USA that gets all four seasons and better to have coupe to use in spring, fall, or non-snow winter days. Also love the look of the open pillar-less windows with the coupe roof line that’s also painted the same beautiful color.

Can’t go wrong with either!

Last edited by ibbij; 07-07-2022 at 08:35 AM.
Old 06-16-2022, 01:30 PM

2011 E550 Cab
I was looking for a couple but my wife talked me into a convertible. Her Yukon is getting some paint work after some "small modifications" she made to it, so she's been driving my E550 and I'm driving my Wrangler. She loves the car which is odd, because she hated her GLE350.

Beautiful coupe you have there!
Old 07-03-2022, 03:43 PM

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
'11 E550 Cpe/'04 GT3
Yours looks like twin from different mothers (turbo vs naturally aspirated) of mine an 11 E550 in Designo Graphite Green Pearl (041U).

Old 07-05-2022, 07:53 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
E400 Cabriolet
I decided to have my 2012 E550 coupe professionally detailed. The detailer mentioned the protective coating last five years. Does anyone have experience with ceramic coating and does it last?

This is full list of services performed.

Hand Wash
Clay Bar (Removes Deeply Embedded Dirt & Contaminants)
Iron Decontamination (Removes Brake Dust Deposits)
Gloss Enhancement Polish (Removes Swirls And Brings Back Deep Shine)
5 Year Coating Applied To Paint and optics
Paint correction
Vehicle lifted in the air to remove the wheels. This allows for a deep cleaning of all the surfaces. Each wheel is coated inside and out, the calipers are coated, as well as coating the tires with a 6 month protectant

Given the unique color of my E, thought it best to do this at least once. Will add pictures once vehicle has finished the process, it takes a couple days.
I install ceramic coatings as a side gig and the process you mentioned above is correct for getting the best looks and durability out of your coating.

There are many benefits to a coating, including hydrophobics, easier cleaning, gloss, and state of the art protection. How you use and maintain your car will determine the durability and not the manufacturer’s claims though.

Maintenance is the key to getting the most out of your coating investment. Stay away from waxes, spray wax, and quick detailers as they will only mask the characteristics of the coating. There are specific ceramic “toppers” you can use instead of these products to add a sacrificial layer of protection and to help extend the life of your coating.

When washing your vehicle, use a pH neutral shampoo that does not contain any gloss enhancers. If you notice the hydrophobic effects drop off overtime (i.e. you no longer have a good water beading) then it is likely your coating is “clogged” and you should decontaminate the paint with an iron remover.

This can happen from a build up of road film and embedded contaminants. Coatings do a good job of repelling these contaminants but they are not the be all end all and if you drive your car a lot you will still get contamination over time.

Congrats on making a good choice for protecting your ride!
vich3 (05-09-2023)
Old 07-06-2022, 04:56 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2010 Mercedes Benz E550 Coupe
ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS COLOR AND LOOKS SHOWROOM NEW WITH THAT CERAMIC COAT. I'M CURIOUS ABOUT THE WHEELS. I HAVE A 2010 E550 COUPE IN BLACK BUT ALMOST BOUGHT THE LAUNCH EDITION WHICH WAS IN THE OLIVINE COLOR BUT THE WHEELS WERE PARTIALLY PAINTED IN A COLOR THE SALESMAN CALLED 'TITANIUM'. I LOVE THE WHEEL COLOR SO MUCH THAT I NEVER FORGOT IT. TWO YEARS AGO I MANAGED TO GET A GREAT DEAL ON A FULL SET OF 4 OF THOSE 'TITANIUM' WHEELS WITH NO SCRATCHES AT ALL.
DID YOURS COME WITH THE WHEELS IN THE PICTURE OR WERE THEY ALSO THE PARTIALLY PAINTED 'LAUNCH' EDITION WHEELS??
Got it back. Looks amazing and huge difference to the caliper and rim having ceramic coating on all the surfaces outside and inside of the wheel. Time will tell that it lasts, I trust the company that did my work, very knowledgeable and passionate team. If in Chicago area check out https://dandreadetail.com/home.

This was April picture after getting new rotors and then after the cleaning and ceramic coating of the caliper. Huge difference!
Old 07-07-2022, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Riv_Bluesman
I install ceramic coatings as a side gig and the process you mentioned above is correct for getting the best looks and durability out of your coating.

There are many benefits to a coating, including hydrophobics, easier cleaning, gloss, and state of the art protection. How you use and maintain your car will determine the durability and not the manufacturer’s claims though.

Maintenance is the key to getting the most out of your coating investment. Stay away from waxes, spray wax, and quick detailers as they will only mask the characteristics of the coating. There are specific ceramic “toppers” you can use instead of these products to add a sacrificial layer of protection and to help extend the life of your coating.

When washing your vehicle, use a pH neutral shampoo that does not contain any gloss enhancers. If you notice the hydrophobic effects drop off overtime (i.e. you no longer have a good water beading) then it is likely your coating is “clogged” and you should decontaminate the paint with an iron remover.

This can happen from a build up of road film and embedded contaminants. Coatings do a good job of repelling these contaminants but they are not the be all end all and if you drive your car a lot you will still get contamination over time.

Congrats on making a good choice for protecting your ride!
Thank you for your feedback!
Old 07-07-2022, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by mikefalz
ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS COLOR AND LOOKS SHOWROOM NEW WITH THAT CERAMIC COAT. I'M CURIOUS ABOUT THE WHEELS. I HAVE A 2010 E550 COUPE IN BLACK BUT ALMOST BOUGHT THE LAUNCH EDITION WHICH WAS IN THE OLIVINE COLOR BUT THE WHEELS WERE PARTIALLY PAINTED IN A COLOR THE SALESMAN CALLED 'TITANIUM'. I LOVE THE WHEEL COLOR SO MUCH THAT I NEVER FORGOT IT. TWO YEARS AGO I MANAGED TO GET A GREAT DEAL ON A FULL SET OF 4 OF THOSE 'TITANIUM' WHEELS WITH NO SCRATCHES AT ALL.
DID YOURS COME WITH THE WHEELS IN THE PICTURE OR WERE THEY ALSO THE PARTIALLY PAINTED 'LAUNCH' EDITION WHEELS??
Mine came with the wheels which should be original equipment from 2012. I bought the vehicle in 2021, did a fair amount to improve the mechanical and interior/exterior look before the ceramic coating. Post on work done is available here: https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-c...cessories.html
Old 08-23-2022, 06:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 Mercedes-Benz E350 coupe

Looks phenominal! If you don't mind me asking, how much did it run you?
Old 08-23-2022, 07:55 PM

Mike’s pricing is posted here. He did my wheels and inner wheel well coating at a discount. Are you in Chicago?

https://dandreadetail.com/ceramic-coating