E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Cam plugs on the Coupe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-18-2022, 02:10 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
E550 Coupe
Cam plugs on the Coupe

Hi there,

I've got an oil leak that I've narrowed down to the drivers side, at the rear of the engine somewhere. It slowly drips onto the exhaust manifold. Based on what I've read, the cam plugs or the valve cover are common culprits.

The M278 engine is really shoehorned into this car! Has anyone changed these in the coupe? How the heck do you get back there? It would be great if the noise / heat shield could be removed for more access, but that looks like a tall job in itself...
Old 07-19-2022, 12:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 E550
Does you ECO button turn off?
Old 07-20-2022, 05:51 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
E550 Coupe
Thanks for the reply. Yes, it switches normally between sport and eco mode. Not sure how that would be related to the cam plugs? Oh, I did mean the cam oil expansion plugs / seals on the rear of the engine, not the cam position / actuators, if that is why you asked?
Hoping someone can chime in to my question in the first post.
Old 07-20-2022, 06:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 E550
Just asking

Originally Posted by Couch67
Thanks for the reply. Yes, it switches normally between sport and eco mode. Not sure how that would be related to the cam plugs? Oh, I did mean the cam oil expansion plugs / seals on the rear of the engine, not the cam position / actuators, if that is why you asked?
Hoping someone can chime in to my question in the first post.

Just asking because mine had a minor leak that I was not aware of. Check engine light came on for a day then it went away but my eco button would not turn on which is the default when it starts.
Took it to the Dealer, they had it for over 2 week replaced the ECU MCU wire harness all the fuel injectors along with the cam plugs and gaskets and both batteries. I lucked out because I had 2 weeks left on the warranty. So it did not cost me a thing. Everything has been fine since then except I had to replace 1 coil a year later. Just put the Stage 2 Renntech HHT and it feels like someone did an engine swap. So much more power I could not believe it. Good luck with yours. I still love mine.