E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Radiator fan runs full blast when ac is on and does not turn off.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-02-2022, 02:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 e550 coupe
Radiator fan runs full blast when ac is on and does not turn off.

Hey guys.. been reading on here for a while and finally decided to make an account. I have a 2010 e550 coupe that has been really great to me aside from the usual annoyances. But I am worried now because the engine bay gets excessively hot as soon as I turn the car on and the radiator fan runs at full speed and sounds like a turbine if I start the car with the ac running. If I start the car with the ac off it does not do this. I have no codes so I am not really sure where to check. The ac still blows cold air so am not sure if that could be the issue. The car temp on the dash and when I hook up my scanner is normal 90 ish and doens't move ever. Any help would be appreciated as it sounds like a plane is going to take off whenever i'm at idle.
Old 09-03-2022, 10:08 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2010 Mercedes Benz E550 Coupe
I had a very similar situation. It turned out to be the temperature sensor within the thermostat (the whole thermostat has to be changed). As it was explained to me, if any sensor related to the engine's temperature/control malfunctions the computer failsafes to full engine cooling (high fan speed etc....) to attempt to prevent damage to the engine from over heating.
Old 09-03-2022, 12:03 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
2021 E-350 Loaded
Be certain to check for correct level of coolant in the expansion tank.
Low coolant and or coolant issues are often the problem
Old 09-03-2022, 02:34 PM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
2010 e550 coupe
Originally Posted by mikefalz
I had a very similar situation. It turned out to be the temperature sensor within the thermostat (the whole thermostat has to be changed). As it was explained to me, if any sensor related to the engine's temperature/control malfunctions the computer failsafes to full engine cooling (high fan speed etc....) to attempt to prevent damage to the engine from over heating.
If my thermostat was bad wouldn’t I see the car overheating on the dash? It always shows a normal running temp on the needle in the car. Also this happens when the ac is on when I start the car if I start the car without the ac on it does not do this.
Old 09-03-2022, 02:35 PM

2010 e550 coupe
Originally Posted by SmokinJoe
Be certain to check for correct level of coolant in the expansion tank.
Low coolant and or coolant issues are often the problem
My coolant is good. When it is low I usually will get a warning on dash of low coolant level.
Old 09-03-2022, 02:42 PM

2021 E-350 Loaded
Originally Posted by Dnasty
My coolant is good. When it is low I usually will get a warning on dash of low coolant level.
You did say "engine bay gets excessively hot" and that's concerning.. Lot's of possibilities with a 2010 car including Clogged Radiator If your 2010 Mercedes E550 Coupe has more than 50,000 miles on it.
Best of luck.

Last edited by SmokinJoe; 09-03-2022 at 02:47 PM.
Old 09-03-2022, 02:49 PM

2010 e550 coupe
Originally Posted by SmokinJoe
You did say "engine bay gets excessively hot" and that's concerning.. Lot's of possibilities with a 2010 car. Best of luck.
It does but I am not sure the cause as it doesnt seem to be the engine temp itself. The needle always seems to be at normal operating temp. Could it still overheat and give me these readings? I have no errors at all either.
Old 09-03-2022, 03:52 PM

2021 E-350 Loaded
Originally Posted by Dnasty
It does but I am not sure the cause as it doesn't seem to be the engine temp itself. The needle always seems to be at normal operating temp. Could it still overheat and give me these readings? I have no errors at all either.
I'd use an infrared thermometer or get a Temperature Indicator Stick to check the intake manifold temp.
And yes, the water temp could appear somewhat normal if the engine walls are scaled up preventing heat transfer to the coolant.
Obviously, these are WAG's based on keyboard banging and not evaluating the situation.
Again, I'm basing everything on your statement of "engine bay gets excessively hot" but you have a starting point.