E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Nav screen cleaned - now dead

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-09-2022, 12:48 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2014 E350 Cab
Nav screen cleaned - now dead

So while I'm pondering the 5k spend for the ECU/wireharness oil issue (see this thread https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-c...hat-s-fix.html), I got another problem.

I've got a lot of scratches and marks in the anti-glare clear coat of my NAV screen over time and bad car washings. I did some searching and found that regular Windex would take the coating off. So I got a rag and went to it. Comes off scary easy, but I could never get the edges. So I took the plastic surround off from around the screen to get closer. That was shockingly simple - the bezel just pulled away with my fingers.

I was very careful not to spray directly on the screen (although the marks on the screen look like someone's done that before). But I did go all the way to the metal edge. When I was done it looked great, worked wonderfully. Drove it for about 30 minutes without issue.

But then I left the car and went into the office for a few hours. When I started it up after that, I had nothing but technicolor pinstripes vertically down the screen. Then after about 20 tries of all kinds of things from engine off, wait 10 minutes to just press the button and turn off the system, etc., I could see the screen "strobe" for half a second and be correct, then be blank for the rest of the time. Then I tried driving around, and after a while the left 1/4 of the panel was occasionally flashing, with the rest of the screen blank.

When I got home I took the screen completely out (it's two wire connectors and two screws - really easy again). I then took the screen assembly completely apart down the circuit board, removing the ribbon cables, bezel, etc. - no wet spots, no Windex smell, no residue marks, nothing. Just to be sure though, I dried everything LIGHTLY with a hair dryer and left it to sit overnight.

I have fixed a ton of iPhones, so relatively speaking, this was really easy stuff, and I am pretty confident the disassembly did no damage.
But when I reassembed and reinstalled the screen the next day, just dead blackness. Nothing at all.

So I guess I need a new screen - one is already on order from the bay ($80 plus shipping - why not?).
BUT before I go too far with this - is there a fuse or something that affects just the screen? The radio, phone, SiriusXM, CD, bluetooth all work fine (I have to use the display between the gauges, though). It's just the screen that is dead. I've never seen a phone screen just completely blank out like this from what had to be a tiny amount of liquid, so I'm dubious and thinking it might be something else. I checked the fuse for the head unit - it's fine. I don't see a fuse for just the screen on any of the diagrams, but I may be looking for the wrong word.

Thanks

Thanks!
Old 11-10-2022, 02:09 PM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
2011 E550 Cab
Originally Posted by RickyEarl
So while I'm pondering the 5k spend for the ECU/wireharness oil issue (see this thread https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-c...hat-s-fix.html), I got another problem.

I've got a lot of scratches and marks in the anti-glare clear coat of my NAV screen over time and bad car washings. I did some searching and found that regular Windex would take the coating off. So I got a rag and went to it. Comes off scary easy, but I could never get the edges. So I took the plastic surround off from around the screen to get closer. That was shockingly simple - the bezel just pulled away with my fingers.

I was very careful not to spray directly on the screen (although the marks on the screen look like someone's done that before). But I did go all the way to the metal edge. When I was done it looked great, worked wonderfully. Drove it for about 30 minutes without issue.

But then I left the car and went into the office for a few hours. When I started it up after that, I had nothing but technicolor pinstripes vertically down the screen. Then after about 20 tries of all kinds of things from engine off, wait 10 minutes to just press the button and turn off the system, etc., I could see the screen "strobe" for half a second and be correct, then be blank for the rest of the time. Then I tried driving around, and after a while the left 1/4 of the panel was occasionally flashing, with the rest of the screen blank.

When I got home I took the screen completely out (it's two wire connectors and two screws - really easy again). I then took the screen assembly completely apart down the circuit board, removing the ribbon cables, bezel, etc. - no wet spots, no Windex smell, no residue marks, nothing. Just to be sure though, I dried everything LIGHTLY with a hair dryer and left it to sit overnight.

I have fixed a ton of iPhones, so relatively speaking, this was really easy stuff, and I am pretty confident the disassembly did no damage.
But when I reassembed and reinstalled the screen the next day, just dead blackness. Nothing at all.

So I guess I need a new screen - one is already on order from the bay ($80 plus shipping - why not?).
BUT before I go too far with this - is there a fuse or something that affects just the screen? The radio, phone, SiriusXM, CD, bluetooth all work fine (I have to use the display between the gauges, though). It's just the screen that is dead. I've never seen a phone screen just completely blank out like this from what had to be a tiny amount of liquid, so I'm dubious and thinking it might be something else. I checked the fuse for the head unit - it's fine. I don't see a fuse for just the screen on any of the diagrams, but I may be looking for the wrong word.

Thanks

Thanks!
Check the fuse for the screen first. Off of the top of my head it is either number 11 or 20. Fuse panel under the hood on the driver's side.
The following users liked this post:
RickyEarl (11-11-2022)
Old 11-11-2022, 11:15 AM

2014 E350 Cab
Thanks. Tried #11 which says it's "central display." Wonder if I should take it out before installing the new panel?
Old 11-11-2022, 01:07 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
See attached bulletin, could be relay.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
LI54.10-P-062091_Ver_1.pdf (45.6 KB, 50 views)
File Type: pdf
Start-stop.pdf (16.5 KB, 32 views)
The following users liked this post:
RickyEarl (11-11-2022)
Old 11-11-2022, 02:27 PM

2014 E350 Cab
Thanks. Replacement screen arrived today and fixed it. Also reminded me that the MMI port in the console has been non-responsive for years. Forgot all about that.