E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Steering column c207 2010

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-04-2023 | 11:50 AM

C207 e350
Steering column c207 2010

In the process to repair steering lock motor.
any idea how to get the steering column out? Seems impossible to get it out without removing the dash?

anyone knows how to release the dashboard? I guess its a big part, but loosening it a little will maybe do the trick?
Old 11-04-2023 | 06:19 PM

E550 Coupe 2wd (2016)
I don't believe you need to do anything with the dash. There are youtube vids of several people with the exact same problem. You can get the box out without too much effort "if" the box is unlocked. If not, then it's the opposite of easy. I assume you are the latter, if so you have to remove the whole column, then cut the box out. Stupid idea, but like most, it's only designed to last past warranty and F the end user down the road.

There is also a good (imo) possibility you can get it unlocked one last time and save yourself all that trouble. In the video(s) I saw, users said it gave them warnings it was failing but most didn't know how ugly replacing a locked one was, so they ignored it. Then made a video about their regret and pita replacement :o How many warnings you get no doubt varies drastically, but note to self; one warning and I'm pulling it out. One youtuber demonstrated where he cycled a locked one over n over and eventually it unlocked.
I've always had excellent luck smacking things to get them to work, especially electronic devices and things with moving parts, and this has both. I'd much rather try my luck with this which only costs you a little time. If you do unlock it, unplug it or disconnect the battery to keep it unlocked before you continue, obviously! Congratulate yourself, rub one out, and take the easy road on removal.

Then, from what I recall, it was almost guaranteed it was the cheezy little elect motor inside the box that failed, most likely the brushes, which is why trying and/or smacking it has good odds of success. They sell the little motor online, I think Aliexpress? That way there's no need to buy a new box, or dummy box, and send it out for reprogramming, which I recall you also had to send your ignition switch and I think some other important part. I think the second reason for failure was the gears wearing and stripping? Which I'd assume you could hear before they failed for good, and again, smacking could unlock it. Not sure if the gears are sold or not, but if not I spoze a junkyard box would be worth it.

If not repairable I would do the replacement dummy box, that does nothing other than pass the security check and let you start it. It should last longer than a repaired or new box and seems to be a popular mod, which you're probably already aware? You can program them yourself, but after looking into it I decided against it. I can't remember what the hardware cost, but I do recall the programming part seemed kinda sketchy. Plus, since mine works fine, it's back burner. If I ever do dig in there, which would require motivation I lack, I would remove the box and ziptie to the side to make it easier if/when it does fail.
Best of luck! And let us know if you try to get it unlocked one last time, and all the repair info so others have more info when it's their turn to share in the nightmare.
The following users liked this post:
Snarla (11-05-2023)
Old 11-05-2023 | 10:10 AM

C207 e350
Thank for your reply,

I got the column out eventually.
I basicly released everything around the steering column that looked as if it was holding the dash in place. Theres a bolt on the A-stem that made a difference. This got me the slack and space needed to yank it out downwards. I have removed radio, instrument-cluster and more, but Im not sure it really needs to be removed.

Unfortunately, the ESL is in very locked position... No second chance there. Im trying to locate someone who can fix it for me now that all is out.

Does anyone know if I can attach 12V to the steering-wheel-adjustment motor to get it retracted? there are 4 pins.