E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

I chose Continental over Michelin tires.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-08-2024, 06:13 PM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Bi-Turbo E550 Coupe (W207)
I chose Continental over Michelin tires.

So I finally got new tires on the E550 Coupe and took off the Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires. I had a second one get a side bubble (first time it happened in 2021) on Saturday from a Chicago pothole and very lucky the tire didn't pop. These Michelins have been overall a rougher ride than I would have liked. My rear tires were at 4/32 so it was time for a new set.

The big debate for met to decide was to either get the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 or Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 Plus. They are considered pretty much neck and neck in terms of their performance. A quick summary is here:

Michelin tend to get the slight edge most of the time based on the reviews. I also have Continental CrossContact LX25 on a Chevy Suburban and I've loved their comfort and ride quality. That is my priority before I concern myself with the sport handling side of things as I don't really drive that spirited, only on occasion. With the poor performance of the Primacy MXM4 and good performance of the CrossContact LX25, that's what tipped it for me to go for the ExtremeContact rather than Pilot Sport. Continental was good to me so far on my Suburban for the past 4 years, I'll give them a go now on the E550 Coupe.

I plan to keep the W207 community informed on how it goes with the ExtremeContact DWS06 Plus. Off the bat I do love how they look on the coupe. I did widen the tires on the 18 inch AMG OEM rims to have 245/40 in the front and 265/35 in the rear. Hopefully that also provides better traction and results in dry, wet, snow, and ice weather. I'll report back in a couple of months after I get some driving done on them to give you all more real world impressions.

If anyone else has chosen the Contis, let me know how you feel they perform. Thanks for the feedback in advance.
The following users liked this post:
CaliBenzDriver (04-08-2024)
Old 04-09-2024, 10:38 AM

Received 88 Likes on 68 Posts
EQE SUV 500 4Matic
I have the following Continentals:
235/55 R 19 105W XL MO Continental EcoContact 6Q
I didn't choose them - they came from the factory on my EQE SUV.
Being my first MB and first set of Continentals, I can say I have little basis for comparison.
I am just writing here to let you know that so far, I love my Continentals.
They handle well (dry or wet) and they are VERY quiet.
I know you are probably looking at a much different spec, being ICE, but I thought I'd share my opinion on the Continentals anyway.
Old 04-10-2024, 07:09 AM

Thanks for sharing and congrats on the EQE. Can you share what your experience has been like owning this EV? I hope to do an EQ in my future as well, but in my case it would have to be 7 passenger. I would want to reduce from 2 cars (17' Chevy Suburban Premier and the '12 MB E550 Coupe) down to a single car. EQS will probably what I go for in the 7 seat configuration, I test drove a Kia EV9 recently and didn't find it all that thrilling, plus I hate that their top level trims drop the seats to 6, I need 7 seats. I'm also not looking to do Tesla Model X (blah) or Rivian R1S (eh) for various reasons. I will look in about a year to see what the used prices are for an EQS. I'm one of those that I'd be happy to fly to another city, buy a used car at the right price and drive it back even if it takes a couple days of driving. Cheaper then paying full sticker and plus get to know the car well during the journey. That's how I got my '12 MB E550 Coupe, it was literally on the corner of our country, National City, CA just north of Tijuana, MX and had it shipped to me in Chicago (too long distance to go and pick up and drive back for me at that time).

As for the Continental EcoContact 6Q (https://www.continental-tires.com/pr...ecocontact-6q/), they are so new, I haven't come across them before. They are also marketed to the EV market. Probably look into these or hope it would be on an EQS I may look to purchase in the future.

I really didnt know much about Continentals until I put them on my Suburban in 2021, I had originally Bridgestone and I felt like I was driving on brick tires made of clay. When I changed them it was night and day difference to the way the vehicle handled and honestly it's like a floating house on a cloud when driving that SUV. Great tires make a huge difference.
Old 04-10-2024, 07:54 AM

Received 88 Likes on 68 Posts
EQE SUV 500 4Matic
I have enjoyed my EQE SUV for nearly 6 months now. Only downside has been a couple of "error message events" but the car did not leave me stranded anywhere. It's currently in the shop so they can check the logs to see if anything needs to be done with respect to those error messages (software updates?).
But to address your EQS thoughts succinctly:
- Make the effort to read a lot on this forum and the MB EQClub about EQS's. They were the pioneers of this MB segment. Some of the early ones had a lot of teething troubles.
- The EQS depreciation rate at the start is eye-watering, so your "buy-used" strategy can really help here.
- It seems 12v batteries on most all EV's are quite small and if not reliably recharged by the High Voltage battery automatically (due to buggy software) you can be inconvenienced. Lots of discussion on this online.
- Be sure to ask the dealer/seller to provide all the service history and, especially the battery state-of-health information.
- I would humbly suggest you try to buy local if you go EQ. These are computers on wheels and it's still early in the game. Expect more trips to the dealer service than for the ICE vehicles of yore. Mostly, this has to do with error messages related to software, requiring software updates.
Good luck!
Old 04-23-2024, 12:27 PM

Two weeks in and still thrilled with the Continental tire choice. I will take a couple photos and post soon.

I did notice a couple of times when I'm curving on the highway exits my traction control kicked in, maybe I'm driving faster now that I feel more confidence with the tires. I still need to be careful but surprised to see the traction control was turning on. It never turned on when I had the Michelin Primacys. Maybe I was driving too slow, or the Michelin Primacy tires were better planted, or perhaps they had no grip and traction control system didnt detect the issue due to not actually feeling the road properly. I think it's because of the rear tires that the traction control turnd on since previously the rear tires I had were less tread. The other difference could be since I widened the tires, could that make the traction control system react more?

Any thoughts are welcome.
OldManAndHisCar (04-23-2024)
Old 04-23-2024, 12:47 PM

Received 109 Likes on 78 Posts
W212 E63S Wagon - GSL580 - E63 - E350 - C300
I have the Conti's on my car(s) as well. I used to be married to the Pilot Sport of various flavors. Once you get some wear on the Contis they do get a rumble....but, my exhaust has a rumble. Plus, on the GLS550 the Conti is the only tire we could find a treadwear warranty on.
ibbij (04-23-2024)
Old 04-23-2024, 04:56 PM

Personally I like the sidewall styling too. It stands out more in a subtle way than the Michelins. Already had a couple people notice the car looking nicer than they remembered and only difference was new tires.
Drone_S213 (04-23-2024)
Old 04-23-2024, 05:32 PM

The tires are great....now, lets chat about that rug rolled up in your garage.....
Old 04-23-2024, 06:39 PM

Haha extra carpet that used to be in the basement rolled up in case we needed it for family room or second floor if ever there was a need to replace a section of carpet. Then the basement almost flooded and hauled it to the garage and never moved it since 😂
Old 04-23-2024, 08:39 PM

Very different look mine from yours from HUGE profile....

ibbij (04-23-2024)
Old 04-23-2024, 09:28 PM

Received 318 Likes on 219 Posts
13 s212 63 p30. 03 s55amg. 06 LX470
Ive been driving the continentals for about eight or so years. DWS, DWS06, Plus. They are great tires and have evolved well. They are not a sticky as the michelins but better in every other respect. I like a high performance all season vs a summer tire/ winter tire wheel combo. These are the best all seasons Ive used.

As far as bubbles, The last Michelins I had for a sport vehicle was back in 05 or so when they had tons of bubble and warranty issues and I determined they just were not worth the money, for me. Michelin Defender LTX are a fantastic tire for suv and truck owners.
The following 2 users liked this post by Baltistyle:
ibbij (04-23-2024), WRC-LVR (04-25-2024)