E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Seat handle replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-25-2024, 05:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E250 2011 coupe
Seat handle replacement

Hi all,

This is my first post, so hopefully it's in the right place. I have a 2012 e coupe and the chrome has peeled on the seat handle.

There are a few YouTube videos but they have slight variants on the motor.

Does anyone know how I separate the headrest metal arm from the black plastic connector? I'm worried about using too much force and snapping it.

Cheers.

Old 06-25-2024, 07:53 PM

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts
2017 GLS 550
Subscribing to this thread, because I need to replace my wife's as well. What is the part number?
Old 06-25-2024, 09:18 PM

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts
2012 E Cabrio, 2015 GL x 2 & 2024 GLS
Originally Posted by thtguy
Subscribing to this thread, because I need to replace my wife's as well. What is the part number?
Also can't help, but keen to see the answer. Hoping it's the same for the Cabrio, mine is a health hazard on both seats held together with clear tape...
Old 06-26-2024, 08:12 AM

2017 GLS 550
Originally Posted by AKSwift
Also can't help, but keen to see the answer. Hoping it's the same for the Cabrio, mine is a health hazard on both seats held together with clear tape...
CAbrio here as well. I just went ahead and peeled it all off, because that stuff is like a razor blade. Cut me twice.
Old 07-13-2024, 02:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 204 Likes on 141 Posts
'13 GLK350 4matic,'09 C300 4matic,'15 GLA250,'07 Honda Odyssey, '18 GLE 43
Just did this today. But I went the cheaper and harder way which is just replacing the actual chrome handle and not the entire assembly. If you have the power seat you will see a thin U-shape metal clip on the left side of the headrest post. It does not matter if it is drivers or passenger side it is located at the same side. You need to unloosen it NOT REMOVE it. Just push it out a little no more. If it gets dislocated and fly out you will add at least 30-40 min or forever to get it back in. If you dont put it back in it wont hurt the seat. That clip is the only thing preventing you from yanking out the headrest. If you think you wont be pulling it without reason you can leave it out.

Once you loosen that clip you need to make sure the seat is reclined almost fully and make the headrest go up fully. When it stops, with force yank it up. You will hear a pop sound. That is the sound of the left headrest post dislocating from the motor arm and it is normal. Make sure the headrest sensor harness is disconnected before you yank it out.

After you remove the headrest you need to remove the plastic trim below the headrest. There are 2 clips that you need yo push from behind and while doing this you pull up the plastic trim from the front. So one arm pushes the clip from the back and one arm is reaching at the front to pull out the trim.

After you do this you need to unclip the fabric where the headrest sits fron the retaining tabs on the seat. You need a thin, hard, sturdy metal rod (like the one you use to remove the o-rings on the oil filters) to unhook the fabric to the retaining tabs. THIS IS THE HARDEST PART AND BE PREPARED TO SWEAR A LOT. The fabric is really stretched in that area that if you exert too much force you will rip it so be very careful. I used two of those metal rods to do the trick and the near the handle assembly is the most stubborn one as it is behind the headrest rod carrier. Take your time and it will come out. You only need to remove 3 from the tabs. Do not remove all as it is not needed to reach the 2 screws holding the latch assembly.

After you take out the two screws under the fabric, yank the latch aseembly towards the door. Make sure the cable is disconnected to the seat or you might damage the housing.

If you will just replace the chrome handle you will need to remove a small portion of the plastic holding the rod so that you can pull it out with long nose pliers. Transfer the rubber stopper from the old latch to the new one and put it back like how you remove it. Reinstall in reverse and Presto you just saved +$500 per side. I only spent $32 for the parts from ebay. You can buy the matte silver latch which I think is from the facelift models and those might last longer but I decided to stick to stock look.

Last edited by shotgun_banjo; 07-13-2024 at 03:31 AM.
Old Today, 11:52 AM

2017 GLS 550
Originally Posted by shotgun_banjo

If you will just replace the chrome handle you will need to remove a small portion of the plastic holding the rod so that you can pull it out with long nose pliers. Transfer the rubber stopper from the old latch to the new one and put it back like how you remove it. Reinstall in reverse and Presto you just saved +$500 per side. I only spent $32 for the parts from ebay. You can buy the matte silver latch which I think is from the facelift models and those might last longer but I decided to stick to stock look.
Do you have link to ebay part?