E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Steering Wobble and Electrical Problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-05-2024, 05:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350 Cabrio
Unhappy Steering Wobble and Electrical Problems

Hello,

New to the forum and having serious steering problems with my 2010 E350 Cabrio. I was travelling down the motorway and pulled into services filled up car and ESP inoperative, ABS light, Run flat inoperative, and awareness inoperative popped up on the dash. The car drove fine, but with lights on the dash. Pulled over after a few more miles, turned the car off, and when I started again the lights were gone. Car drove fine for another 100 miles until I reached my destination, all in the same day. The following morning I got in the car, no lights on the dash, but the steering wheel had developed a problem. It is turning itself quite violently below 20mph, it now has a bad steering wobble which gets better as I build up to 60mph, but car still pulls to the right and has a steering wobble. I needed to drive the car home (400miles yesterday), and the problem did not go away.

I really hope someone can help me.

Thank you.
Old 08-05-2024, 09:05 AM

Received 153 Likes on 121 Posts
2012 E350 Cabriolet now SOLD to my son
Replace the aux battery for the lights issues etc in the dash.. It is the usual cause. While getting it replaced have the starter battery checked for age and health. It may be time to have the alternator checked too. Still, I would do the battery replace 1st.

Steering shimmy, Check again After the battery replacment as the Lane tracing assist may be affected by the low voltage. If still present, then check the sensors for the lane tracing assist, one maY have gotten damaged or is sneding a signal to cause the steering to think your car is leaving the lane. Try turNing off the lane tracing assist function.to see if it fixes the issue. If not then then have all four tires checked for balance and wheel runout. If balanced and wheels run true, then check brakes/rotors for dragging pads ok etc no uneven wear. Lastly check the suspension arms/bushings/ball joints for play and replace as necessary.

Report back with your findings.

Last edited by WRC-LVR; 08-05-2024 at 09:12 AM.
Old 08-05-2024, 01:10 PM

E350 Cabrio
Originally Posted by WRC-LVR
Replace the aux battery for the lights issues etc in the dash.. It is the usual cause. While getting it replaced have the starter battery checked for age and health. It may be time to have the alternator checked too. Still, I would do the battery replace 1st.

Steering shimmy, Check again After the battery replacment as the Lane tracing assist may be affected by the low voltage. If still present, then check the sensors for the lane tracing assist, one maY have gotten damaged or is sneding a signal to cause the steering to think your car is leaving the lane. Try turNing off the lane tracing assist function.to see if it fixes the issue. If not then then have all four tires checked for balance and wheel runout. If balanced and wheels run true, then check brakes/rotors for dragging pads ok etc no uneven wear. Lastly check the suspension arms/bushings/ball joints for play and replace as necessary.

Report back with your findings.
Thanks for your reply. I have plugged in mycarly today (odb reader) and it is finding no faults. It did read that my starter battery was low and at 65%, so I have removed this and put on charge overnight. I had both front wheels off the ground today and checked for free play, but nothing noticeable. I also had the wheels off to look for anything obvious, but again nothing that I could see. I have the car booked in on Wednesday at my local dealer to check. I will check the battery again tomorrow and see if that helps.

With regards the lane assist, my car is not fitted fitted with lane assist.

Thanks.
Old 08-16-2024, 12:42 PM

E350 Cabrio
Just got the car back from the garage. Turns out my steering fault was due to a bad tyre. Said it can happen on low profile tyres.