E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Rear Subframe - Beware

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old Yesterday, 08:08 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
12 E350 Cabrio & 19 C300
Rear Subframe - Beware

I have a 2012 Cabrio, 54,000 miles, in mint condition, so I thought... I was driving down the freeway with my wife, doing ~75MPH and while changing lanes, the rear of the car started to fishbone wildly. Trying to get control of the car and while braking, it only got worse until I was able to slow down to ~40MPH. Luckily, there was little traffic on the freeway and I didn't flip the car. No alarms or warnings, I had no clue what just happened and my poor wife was traumatized. I pulled off the freeway and visibly inspected the rear of the car. I didn't see anything out of place. We took the backroads to safely get back home. Called my local Indy, he suspected the rear struts. Dropped the car off the following morning and upon putting the car up on the lift, my Indy called me said, "you are not going to believe this, the car is unsafe to drive as the rear subframe is corroded from the inside out. You and your wife are very lucky!" This sort of issue comes with no warning and it was the only corrosion on the entire car. My Indy (who is very fair) quoted me $3500 to repair and I need my car so I agreed without price shopping and I never thought MB would cover anything on a 12-year car. After doing some research, this is actually a great price from my Indy. As well, I didn't find any recalls for this issue however, I found this letter online (see attached) dated March, 2023 where MB knows about this issue and has extended the rear subframe warranty to 20 years /unlimited miles. Don't know why they didn't do a recall as this could be a huge liability as people could die. However, the repair has to be done by an authorized MB dealership. If I knew about this, i would have had the car towed to my dealer. Now I am out $3500 so I will have to fight with MB I'm sure. Will keep everyone posted...

So, please beware with your current vehicle or if you are looking to buy one of the MB models in the letter..

Anyone else had a similar experience?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
MB letter.pdf (940.9 KB, 5 views)
The following users liked this post:
OldManAndHisCar (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 08:13 AM

Received 231 Likes on 173 Posts
W212 E63S Wagon - GSL580 - E63 - E350 - C300
Hate to say it - old news, active recall....we as consumers need to be aware.
Old Yesterday, 08:44 AM

Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts
2016 E400 Coupe (C207)
https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...ml#post8723987

https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...ml#post8765519

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...ml#post8963828
Old Yesterday, 10:50 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
2012 E550 Cab
Thanks, I hadn't heard anything about this.