E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

2010 E550 coupe/207 doesn't crank

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-23-2024, 05:41 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
C207 550
2010 E550 coupe/207 doesn't crank

Hey,

Car was doing some long cranks recently and since the other day won't crank at all.
Car still gets power, locks work, dash lights up, radio works...
Battery is relatively new, but I'm topping it off just in case.

Opened the door when trying ignition and I can hear 2 clicks when key turned fully, but never tries to crank.

Any suggestions???
Old 09-23-2024, 06:12 PM

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
2015 E63S Sedan, 2014 E550 coupe
When I experienced long crank (then start), the issue was due to Cam Adjuster failing. This resulted in a code for cam position not plausible or similar. It would also cause the Eco Start/Stop fxn to disable (no loss there lol!). I know this isn’t directly helpful, but if you can pull current codes and see something related to cam position….

Good luck!
Old 09-24-2024, 10:19 AM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
E320
It sounds like the issue could be stemming from a few key areas related to the starting system. The clicking noise you hear typically indicates that the starter solenoid is receiving a signal, but the starter motor itself may not be engaging properly. This could be due to a faulty starter motor or a bad connection within the starter circuit, such as corroded wires or a weak ground connection. Additionally, the problem might lie with the ignition switch if it’s not consistently sending power to the starter. Another possibility is an issue with the vehicle's security or immobilizer system, which can prevent the engine from cranking if it doesn't recognize the key or detects an unauthorized access attempt. You should probably run a full system scan. There should be fault codes on at least one or more control modules related to this. You'll either need to take it to a mechanic, but if you want to figure this out yourself, then you'll need to get a full system scanner. The youcanic full system scanner is very good at diagnosing all systems, and there are other scan tools that can do this. Just be careful to use a full system scanner or you may scan the car and see no fault codes as some scanners can read all vehicle systems. I hope this helps, and feel free to reach out if you have more questions!
Old 09-24-2024, 02:09 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
C207 550
Originally Posted by jimyj
It sounds like the issue could be stemming from a few key areas related to the starting system. The clicking noise you hear typically indicates that the starter solenoid is receiving a signal, but the starter motor itself may not be engaging properly. This could be due to a faulty starter motor or a bad connection within the starter circuit, such as corroded wires or a weak ground connection. Additionally, the problem might lie with the ignition switch if it’s not consistently sending power to the starter. Another possibility is an issue with the vehicle's security or immobilizer system, which can prevent the engine from cranking if it doesn't recognize the key or detects an unauthorized access attempt. You should probably run a full system scan. There should be fault codes on at least one or more control modules related to this. You'll either need to take it to a mechanic, but if you want to figure this out yourself, then you'll need to get a full system scanner. The youcanic full system scanner is very good at diagnosing all systems, and there are other scan tools that can do this. Just be careful to use a full system scanner or you may scan the car and see no fault codes as some scanners can read all vehicle systems. I hope this helps, and feel free to reach out if you have more questions!
Thanks for the advice.
Just to clarify though, when trying to start the engine, there are only 2 clicks, then it stops and no crank.
If I recall, in the past, when trying to crank the engine, the clicking would be continuous as long as the key was turned fully.

Also, topped off the car battery over night. Still a no go. Was worth a shot.