E-Class Coupe (C238) & Cabrio (A238) 2017 - E200, E220, E300, E350, E400, E450 [Coupes &Cabriolets]

Questions/help buying new/used 2018 E400 cabriolet

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-05-2018, 12:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018 e 400 cabriolet
Questions/help buying new/used 2018 E400 cabriolet

I'm in the market for a new or slightly used 2018 E400 cabrio. This is my first time buying a car at this level so any/all recommendations on how to get the very best deal would be greatly appreciated!!

I realize we are approaching end of year and the 2019's will soon become available. Is it accurate to assume that if I time it right, dealers may be more incentivized to sell the old (2018) model at a steeper discount? I also wouldnt mind getting a floor model or slightly used model with some miles. I'm already seeing some on autotrader at about $10k below MSRP with 3-5k miles on them. Open to financing, leasing, or paying cash. Whichever is going to give me the very best deal.
Old 09-06-2018, 07:36 AM

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts
2018 E400 Coupe C238
Use the builder on the website to configure an equivalent option 2019 to a 2018 on the lot and see what the differential is. Generally look at maybe 15%-18% reduction as an entry point and use the year incentives to calculate your going in price. Do the math to know what you want to pay. The dealer needs to get the model off the lot so the ploy is to pit the cost difference of new versus year end as your negotiating strategy. Used this ploy a few times over the years and always worked well for my wife & I especially on cars loaded with options or off colours people may not want.

You should wait till November December (at least in America) when the 2019's are delivered and the 2018's are overstock. Mercedes is not GM or Ford where year end massive price reductions are the norm... Geez a saw an add for a Dodge with $15k discount advertised before even walking in to the dealer.
Old 09-06-2018, 01:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018 e 400 cabriolet
Originally Posted by MikeO3
Use the builder on the website to configure an equivalent option 2019 to a 2018 on the lot and see what the differential is. Generally look at maybe 15%-18% reduction as an entry point and use the year incentives to calculate your going in price. Do the math to know what you want to pay. The dealer needs to get the model off the lot so the ploy is to pit the cost difference of new versus year end as your negotiating strategy. Used this ploy a few times over the years and always worked well for my wife & I especially on cars loaded with options or off colours people may not want.

You should wait till November December (at least in America) when the 2019's are delivered and the 2018's are overstock. Mercedes is not GM or Ford where year end massive price reductions are the norm... Geez a saw an add for a Dodge with $15k discount advertised before even walking in to the dealer.
I want to make sure I understand what you're saying. Lets say the 2018 model is $100k. And the 2019 model is $110k. You're saying I should offer $90k on the 2018? Or 18% less than cost of 2018 which would be about $82k?
Old 09-06-2018, 02:14 PM

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts
2018 E400 Coupe C238
Thanks for reading & following up... Buying a car is a back & forth game with concessions...

Ya, discount the 2018 sticker price as I doubt there will be much wiggle room on the 2019. With these figures I would throw $85k on the table with a high ceiling of maybe $92k for the 2018. If they don't take it, walk away from the 2018 and consider a custom order 2019 with options until you reach your maximum price. Remind the sales person that you can move a 1 year old car off the lot immediately without a new order but that is up to them... I would not pay the sticker for the 2019 price but that is really up to you depending on the financing arrangements you intend to make.The 2019 has some new features in America like LTE which, as I understand, is not possible to retrofit on the 2018. Not sure if that is an interest for you.

Remember two things: the vehicle in the eyes of the dealer & insurance company is already 1 year old and the car needs to move off the lot. Use that to your advantage.
Old 09-07-2018, 06:47 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
BMW 740i
Originally Posted by MikeO3

While this is true, dealerships all have quotas to cover. After all they are in the business of selling cars. My dealer told me end of year is always the best time to buy a car, thats when you will see the most incentives. Think about it. if BMW and Audi and others are bargaining, and people are out and about looking to buy a car, why would Benz stand aside and let the others get that business uncontested? Still, Benz is not nearly as aggressive on price as others, so temper your expectations. Find a car that has been on the lot longer than the others -- the finance guy knows how many days its been there and will deal on that car more aggressively than the others. If you are buying a model that is plentiful, also more willing to deal. Unique cars where only a few are on the lot will be guarded for the higher bidder. A few months ago I drove a BMW M550, loved it, and said give me the same deal you gave when I bought the 740i. They said not a chance, we have only one and the lot with only one more coming next week. Those will fetch full price, but we will knock off $25k on a 650i (long in the tooth and out of production next year). I said not a chance, Id rather have the MB E53 at $15k less. And here I am. If I were the guy starting this post Id get familiar with the cars, drive them several times, figure out what you want, wait till the 2019s arrive and then see what deal you can get.