E-Class Coupe (C238) & Cabrio (A238) 2017 - E200, E220, E300, E350, E400, E450 [Coupes &Cabriolets]

Cab remote top open & Close

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2018, 10:36 PM

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
2019 E450 Cabriolet, 2020 GLS450
Cab remote top open & Close

Having an inconsistent results using the remote top opening on my E450 Cab. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.

I’m holding the unlock button on the FOB but 9 times out of 10 it doesn’t open the top.

Is this feature range-limited? I can unlock the car from a huge distance away but it seems like I have to be nearly right next to the car to even try to remote open the top.

Thanjs fir fir any help!
Old 09-24-2018, 03:39 AM

Received 87 Likes on 83 Posts
2017 C43 AMG Saloon
It is range limited and also line of sight limited. Since I believe it uses the infrared sensor on the door handle. Question is does MercedesMe have an option to open it for you???
Old 09-24-2018, 04:19 AM

Received 94 Likes on 72 Posts
Mercedes E220d AMG Line Estate (S213) and Mercedes E220d AMG Line Cabriolet (A238)
Originally Posted by guhvies
It is range limited and also line of sight limited. Since I believe it uses the infrared sensor on the door handle. Question is does MercedesMe have an option to open it for you???

From my experience you have to be under 5 metres away to open/close roof. Mercedes Me does not allow you to open/close roof manually. I think its legislation as people could be trapped. I say this because a friend of mine has a VW Tiguan which on the UK version closes its sunshine roof automatically if you leave it parked and it starts raining - the German one won't as its not allowed in Germany. It was the same on my old SLK, but I fitted a smart top roof module which meant the open/closing function was controlled by the locking system so you could open/close roof from as far away as you could lock/unlock the car.
Old 09-24-2018, 04:26 AM

Received 67 Likes on 60 Posts
E250 AMG Sport Convertible
A207's were the same, fitted a SmartTop to add the functionality that most other manufacturers had, but Mercedes couldn't as standard fit.
Old 09-24-2018, 10:30 AM

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
2019 E450 Cabriolet, 2020 GLS450
Ahhhh… that explains it. I think the times it's not been working, I was either standing in front or rear (away from door handle) or was too far away (at store exit, hoping to have top down by the time I got there). It would have been nice if they had said what these limitations were in the manual (well, at least the 2018 manual.... for some reason they haven't released the 2019 PDF manual yet).
Old 09-24-2018, 03:34 PM

Received 67 Likes on 60 Posts
E250 AMG Sport Convertible
So they still haven't sorted something even the most basic convertibles have had for years. Owners still get to look like idiots having to stand next to their cars watching the roof go up or down.

Maybe SmartTop do a module for the A238 already.
Old 09-26-2018, 02:19 AM

Received 94 Likes on 72 Posts
Mercedes E220d AMG Line Estate (S213) and Mercedes E220d AMG Line Cabriolet (A238)
Originally Posted by sackboydad
Ahhhh… that explains it. I think the times it's not been working, I was either standing in front or rear (away from door handle) or was too far away (at store exit, hoping to have top down by the time I got there). It would have been nice if they had said what these limitations were in the manual (well, at least the 2018 manual.... for some reason they haven't released the 2019 PDF manual yet).

Don't worry about your problems with the manual. As I have a RHD drive car one would expect the dash diagrams/control diagrams etc to be transposed where appropriate, but no - only LHD diagrams are shown in the car. Not a huge issue for me but since the left steering wheel blob of controls control the left display and the right the right my wife refused to believe me that the left buttons in our car (RHD) controlled the Command display as the manual says the right blob controls the Command. I thought the whole point of an instruction manual was to explain (instruct??) the user on how the product works assuming that the user has no prior knowledge of the product?