E-Class Coupe (C238) & Cabrio (A238) 2017 - E200, E220, E300, E350, E400, E450 [Coupes &Cabriolets]

Live Traffic Issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-31-2019, 11:31 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2018 E400 Coupe
Live Traffic Issues

For the past several (almost 6) months, I’ve been experiencing continuous issues with the Live Traffic feature of the COMMAND system not working at least 50% of the time. I’ve contacted MBrace several times regarding this problem. They will send some kind of remote signal to the car, which will resolve the issue for two or three days before it starts acting up again. There is no pattern of when the system is working or not working. I’m starting to wonder if there may be an issue with the onboard modem in the car. Is anybody else experiencing this issue? If so, what action(s) - if any - have you taken to resolve it?
Old 09-03-2019, 03:59 PM

Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts
E63, 335d, C250
Same here. You should notice that the root cause of the Live Traffic not working is due to there being no internet connection to/from the car's Command System. I have done everything from calling multiple times to Mbrace to two visits to the dealership. Nothing to date has resolved the problem. The internet connection inside the car is handled by the built-in unit known as "Hermes". I received a call last month from my service advisor that there is a Hermes update available and it may just fix this issue once and for all. I haven't yet brought in the car so I can't yet say whether it is the final fix... [UPDATE Sep 13 2019] I got my car back after an overnight stay at the dealer. They loaded HERMES with the recent software update. It made NO difference. The LiveTraffic & internet was down as I drove away. The technician noted on the service order that the system was working during his check BUT two fault codes were stored: B15A100 and B159F00. One of them means, "Internet connection could not be established". However, he could find no other notes in the TIPS documents as to their cause. Well, as least with Apple CarPlay I can use Siri's traffic & navigation when I have no choice. I am hopeful for a future fix once MB has enough people reporting the problem.

Last edited by Benz44; 09-13-2019 at 03:01 PM. Reason: Updated Information after Dealer Repair
The following users liked this post:
SaffsDad (09-13-2019)
Old 09-03-2019, 07:50 PM

Received 69 Likes on 53 Posts
E53
It seems as if cars older than MY 2019 seem to have more issues with Live Traffic. I’ve had my 2019 E Coupe for 8 months with no Live Traffic issues. I think the Hermès module, and thus connectivity, was improved for 2019 cars.
Old 09-03-2019, 08:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 314 Likes on 232 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by BenzC400
It seems as if cars older than MY 2019 seem to have more issues with Live Traffic. I’ve had my 2019 E Coupe for 8 months with no Live Traffic issues. I think the Hermès module, and thus connectivity, was improved for 2019 cars.
I love the accent. Actually it's an acronym for Hardware for Enhanced Remote Mobility and Emergency Services, so this messenger prefers HERMES.

They also changed the LTE vendor to AT&T in 2019. That may have something to do with the increased reliability. I also find it pretty solid. (My phone is Verizon, which is at least as reliable as AT&T in my experience, but perhaps the way HERMES uses Verizon is problematic.)
Old 09-04-2019, 09:11 AM

Received 123 Likes on 99 Posts
2018 E400 Coupe
Yesterday I drove from the Los Angeles area to a small town between Bakersfield and Fresno, about 150 miles on the 405, the 5, and the 99, all very heavily traveled main arteries in this state. The traffic information never showed up on the screen for the entire trip. On top of that, I used the Mercedes Me app to send my destination to the car THREE TIMES, and it never registered. I then tried the voice recognition ("navigate to..."), but it apparently recognizes only Navajo or perhaps conversational Urdu. I then switched to the search function and tried several different iterations of my destination, a chain hotel in a small town. That was equally frustrating as it continually found either nothing or hotels in other states! On my next-to-last attempt I made the mistake of including CA after the city's name, and that resulted in another miss. Remembering that the system can't handle such obscure words as "St." or "Ave.," I wised up and left off the state abbreviation and the damn thing finally worked.

It's all very frustrating, and it's been that way since I bought the car new (2018 E400). Although the car is beautiful and otherwise a joy to drive, IMHO the computerized "convenience" systems built into it are simply not ready for prime time, a fact that will weigh heavily on my decision when it comes time to buy a new car.

Last edited by The_Judge; 09-04-2019 at 09:13 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by The_Judge:
Benz44 (09-13-2019), jgs1564 (06-06-2020), SaffsDad (09-13-2019), tennis (09-15-2019)
Old 04-16-2024, 02:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c238
Did you end up getting this sorted out? I've visited the dealership twice, they couldn't figure out why i couldn't connect the mercedes me app to the car. I've got the fault codes B159-00, B15A1-00, "login to the server has failed". "The internet connection could not be established due to a problem with the network provider".

I'm gutted...