E-Class Coupe (C238) & Cabrio (A238) 2017 - E200, E220, E300, E350, E400, E450 [Coupes &Cabriolets]

Mercedes Recall Notice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-15-2021, 01:34 PM

Received 277 Likes on 176 Posts
2019 E450 wagon: 2019 BMW 430i: 2013 Chevy Traverse: (departed)2013 SL550 & 2019 E450 cab
Mercedes Recall Notice

Saw this on the BBC news feed today, regarding a recall of a number of MB products in the US between 2016 and 2021; emergency call software issue apparently: https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-56071108
Old 02-16-2021, 01:36 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
E-Class
Hopefully it will be an easy fix via software download
Old 02-16-2021, 10:39 AM

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts
2018 E400 Coupe C238
I saw this news on the weekend as well but unclear if it affects vehicles without a mobile chip and eCall. The detailed bulletin hasn't made it's way to Mercedes Canada or the Gov Canada recall database so does anyone if these models will require a software update?
Old 03-06-2021, 12:28 AM
fc3

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
2016 E400 Sedan, 2018 E400 Cabriolet
This was done a couple weeks ago to my 2016 E400 sedan, but it is still pending for my 2018 E400 Cabriolet. I have MBrace subscriptions active on both cars, but the dealer applied the update on the 2016. It'll be interesting to see if the 2018 will update OTA or not. She's scheduled into the dealer in a week, maybe they'll update her at that time.

From https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls: (Enter your VIN)

Manufacturer Recall Number2021020023
NHTSA Recall Number21V058
Recall StatusRecall Incomplete, remedy not yet available

SummaryMercedes-Benz AG ("MBAG"), the manufacturer of Mercedes-Benz vehicles, has determined that on certain Model Year ("MY") 2016 2021 CLA-Class, GLA-Class, GLE-Class, GLS-Class, SLC-Class, A-Class, GT-Class, C-Class, E-Class, S-Class, CLS-Class, SL-Class, B-Class, GLB-Class, GLC-Class, and G-Class vehicles (117, 118, 156, 166, 167, 172, 177, 190, 205, 207, 213, 217, 218, 222, 231, 238, 242, 247, 253, 257, 290, 292, and 463 platform), the software design of the communication module may fail to communicate the correct vehicle s location for the emergency call system ( eCall ) in the event of a crash.If there is a drop of the power supply to the communications module during a crash, the automatic eCall system may register the location of the vehicle s last ignition cycle, rather than its location at the time the eCall system is activated. Emergency responders may be dispatched to an inaccurate vehicle location, increasing the risk of injury following a crash. Nevertheless, the other functions of the automatic and manual emergency call function are not affected by this issue. Either an authorized Mercedes-Benz dealer or an over-the-air ("OTA") update will update the software of the communication module for the automatic emergency call system on the affected vehicles.

Safety RiskIf there is a drop of the power supply to the communications module during a crash, the automatic eCall system may register the location of the vehicle s last ignition cycle, rather than its location at the time the eCall system is activated. Emergency responders may be dispatched to an inaccurate vehicle location, increasing the risk of injury following a crash. Nevertheless, the other functions of the automatic and manual emergency call function are not affected by this issue.

RemedyEither an authorized Mercedes-Benz dealer or an over-the-air ("OTA") update will update the software of the communication module for the automatic emergency call system on the affected vehicles. All customers will be mailed recall notification letters as required under federal regulations. For vehicles with a "Mercedes Me" subscription service, the software update will be performed OTA and so a dealer visit is not required. For vehicles without a Mercedes Me subscription service, the notification letter will advise the customer that they may opt out of the OTA update and visit an authorized Mercedes-Benz dealer to have the update performed. If the customer does not opt out within the specified period, the update will be performed OTA with the vehicle thereafter. Depending on conditions such as network coverage and consistency of the data connection, if the OTA update cannot be successfully completed, the customer will be notified and advised to visit an authorized dealer to have the update performed. Customers who subscribe to the Mercedes Me service may check the status of the update through the associated website and/or through the Mercedes Me App. If the vehicle is subscribed to the Mercedes Me Connect services, the current status of the remote software update will be listed on the Mercedes Me connect webpage under "Software Update". Further information regarding software updates can be found in the Operator s Manual.
The following users liked this post:
TennesseeZ4 (03-06-2021)