E-Class Coupe (C238) & Cabrio (A238) 2017 - E200, E220, E300, E350, E400, E450 [Coupes &Cabriolets]

Replacement Tires for 2018 E400 Coupe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2021, 06:32 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2018 E400 Coupe | 2021 E450 Coupe
Replacement Tires for 2018 E400 Coupe

Currently riding on Michelin Primacy 3 ZP run flats that originally came with the car. Have approximately 15k miles on it and Mercedes are already recommending I purchase new rear tires.

What other options would you recommend as replacements? I would like all season tires that last much longer but also don't want to compromise the comfort and ride.

Front tire: 245/40 R19
Rear tire: 275/35 R19
Old 09-13-2021, 09:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 236 Likes on 204 Posts
2021 c300 Cab. Arrived 7/28/21 . 24 GLE 450e.
Originally Posted by Sportsman0202
Currently riding on Michelin Primacy 3 ZP run flats that originally came with the car. Have approximately 15k miles on it and Mercedes are already recommending I purchase new rear tires.

What other options would you recommend as replacements? I would like all season tires that last much longer but also don't want to compromise the comfort and ride.

Front tire: 245/40 R19
Rear tire: 275/35 R19
Have you looked at the tires yourself to see if they really need replacing? Tires usually come with a tread life warranty. You should check on that, if they really need replacing.
The following users liked this post:
TimInCA (09-14-2021)
Old 09-14-2021, 07:12 AM

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts
2018 E400 Coupe C238
I would definitely check the tread depth with a <$5 tread depth tool before listening to the dealer in this case. 15K seems rather low unless your an occasional street racer or doing donuts in parking lots!

or you could try this if you have a penny.

The following users liked this post:
Elvisfan0108 (09-14-2021)
Old 09-14-2021, 01:26 PM

Received 123 Likes on 99 Posts
2018 E400 Coupe
I suggest that your read the numerous posts on this forum about run-flat tires. The near universal opinion is that they're truly awful — rough ride and poor handling compared to non-RFTs. In my opinion you should replace all four tires with top-quality non-run-flat tires, which is what I did. You spent a great deal of money on the car — don't try to save a relatively small sum on the tires. I chose Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires and I'm very happy with the ride and handling; other posters have reported good results with other brands of tires.
Old 09-14-2021, 01:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by The_Judge
I suggest that your read the numerous posts on this forum about run-flat tires. The near universal opinion is that they're truly awful — rough ride and poor handling compared to non-RFTs. In my opinion you should replace all four tires with top-quality non-run-flat tires, which is what I did. You spent a great deal of money on the car — don't try to save a relatively small sum on the tires. I chose Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires and I'm very happy with the ride and handling; other posters have reported good results with other brands of tires.
I’m glad you said near universal opinion. They are opinions. Plenty of people have no problems with the run-flats. Plus they like the extra security. OP made no mention of the ride quality being a problem. We don’t need to spend other folks money. Let OP determine if he needs tires first. Then start the debate.
Old 09-14-2021, 04:53 PM

Received 277 Likes on 176 Posts
2019 E450 wagon: 2019 BMW 430i: 2013 Chevy Traverse: (departed)2013 SL550 & 2019 E450 cab
My experience with staggered tire set-ups for Mercedes and BMW is that the rears get about half the life of the fronts. Could be my right foot on the accelerator, could be cornering loads, could be weight distribution when loaded for travel, could be engineering; but that half life pattern has been consistent. My SL550 R231 would go through a set of rears at 10K miles; but OMG the torque available in that car! All that being posed, in every case where I got half life the tire manufacturer honored their tread wear warranties; Michelin, Bridgestone and Pirelli, all discounted the replacement tires. I keep a 'book' on my cars, tracking things like normal maintenance, as well as tread depth across the tire, and when I get to 3/32-nds, I start shopping for the best deal on new tires if I need four, or engage the tire manufacturer / dealer if I just need two. Now with the same size tires at all four corners, and the ability rotate the non-directional tires, I tend to get into the high 30K mile range, equalizing the wear pattern on all four.

So for what it's worth, I agree with Mike and Elvis, get you a tread depth gauge and check the tires. Also check the brand, size and manufacture date, and do the research on what tread mileage warranty that particular tire carries, and should you determine you need tires, get the dealer involved in the warranty process with the tire manufacturer; however most MB dealers don't really want to be involved in that process, but it is necessary when you bought the car from them with the tires that are experiencing short tread life.

A good source for determining which tire you may want to choose is the Tire Rack website. Lots of good reviews on there from the Tire Rack engineers, as well as folks like us who have lived with tires for a period of time. And in the Dallas area, you get some cold winter days, along with the rainy season, and lots of heat in the summer, so there should be lots of options available, but we have favored the AS tires from Michelin for our last few replacement sets. Good luck on the replacement process, and drive on!
Old 09-16-2021, 01:30 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2018 E400 Coupe | 2021 E450 Coupe
Originally Posted by Elvisfan0108
Have you looked at the tires yourself to see if they really need replacing? Tires usually come with a tread life warranty. You should check on that, if they really need replacing.
I looked at the tread life warranty which is 30k miles but with the staggered setup on the front and rear axles, the mileage warranty is 15k miles on the rear tires which is where I'm currently at.

Originally Posted by MikeO3
I would definitely check the tread depth with a <$5 tread depth tool before listening to the dealer in this case. 15K seems rather low unless your an occasional street racer or doing donuts in parking lots!
I checked the tread depth and I'm currently at 3/32" on the rear tires. I bought the car in January with about 8,500 miles on it but I know the previous driver wasn't a street racer and I'm pretty conservative too. Most of my driving has been highway between work and home.

Originally Posted by TennesseeZ4
My experience with staggered tire set-ups for Mercedes and BMW is that the rears get about half the life of the fronts. Could be my right foot on the accelerator, could be cornering loads, could be weight distribution when loaded for travel, could be engineering; but that half life pattern has been consistent. My SL550 R231 would go through a set of rears at 10K miles; but OMG the torque available in that car! All that being posed, in every case where I got half life the tire manufacturer honored their tread wear warranties; Michelin, Bridgestone and Pirelli, all discounted the replacement tires. I keep a 'book' on my cars, tracking things like normal maintenance, as well as tread depth across the tire, and when I get to 3/32-nds, I start shopping for the best deal on new tires if I need four, or engage the tire manufacturer / dealer if I just need two. Now with the same size tires at all four corners, and the ability rotate the non-directional tires, I tend to get into the high 30K mile range, equalizing the wear pattern on all four.

So for what it's worth, I agree with Mike and Elvis, get you a tread depth gauge and check the tires. Also check the brand, size and manufacture date, and do the research on what tread mileage warranty that particular tire carries, and should you determine you need tires, get the dealer involved in the warranty process with the tire manufacturer; however most MB dealers don't really want to be involved in that process, but it is necessary when you bought the car from them with the tires that are experiencing short tread life.

A good source for determining which tire you may want to choose is the Tire Rack website. Lots of good reviews on there from the Tire Rack engineers, as well as folks like us who have lived with tires for a period of time. And in the Dallas area, you get some cold winter days, along with the rainy season, and lots of heat in the summer, so there should be lots of options available, but we have favored the AS tires from Michelin for our last few replacement sets. Good luck on the replacement process, and drive on!
I've gone back and read the threads about RFT but I personally have no issues with the Michelin Primacy 3 ZP. The traction could obviously be better, especially when it's raining, but I enjoy the comfort, ride, and minimal road noise. I saw some people mention buying a spare tire to keep in the trunk then switching all the tires to non RFT. Right now I need the trunk space so that wouldn't be a feasible option. The only reason I was looking at replacements was to get more tread life without sacrificing the ride. Based on what people have mentioned, I'm definitely sticking with Michelin tires but now the decision is between the Pilot Sport 4 ZP (max performance summer with 320 treadwear) or retain the Primacy 3 ZP (grand touring summer with 240 treadwear).

If anyone has any feedback on the Pilot Sport 4 ZP that would be greatly appreciated!
Old 09-16-2021, 03:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I had staggered tires on my Bmw. 27,000 miles on them when traded. Not even close to needing replacement.
Old 10-10-2021, 10:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E400 coupe AMG Line Premium Plus
I binned my RF tyres on my E400 coupe and fitted the following -
Pirelli P Zero's all round, same sizes. Much better ride. I have AA recovery so not too bothered about a puncture. Cant drive far with RF tyres anyway, joke!
Old 10-12-2021, 01:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e 400 Coupé -17, S 220 -64
There is only one at the top

Using this same tyre in Audi Q7 and mb e400, that is Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. It is so good and solid.
Old 08-11-2023, 10:58 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2020 E 350; 2022 E450 Coupe; 2005 Porsche Cayenne; 1975 Porsche 911 Carrera 3.0
Reviving an old thread . . .

For those who wish to replace run flats with the traditional tubeless tire :

Can you replace the run flat with a similar profile tubeless tire on the same rim?

I know getting a tire with a larger sidewall will change the odometer/speedometer.

I hit a small pothole 2 weeks after getting my car and now I need to replace a tire. See photo, the sidewall/tread have developed a bubble.

Old 08-12-2023, 05:57 AM

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts
2018 E400 Coupe C238
That is typical behavior unfortunately. My Service Manager told me that these cars are heavy and it doesn't take much to bubble up a sidewall. For now, I haven't had to think about replacements on my 2018 as it is not a daily driver.
Old 08-12-2023, 10:31 AM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2020 E 350; 2022 E450 Coupe; 2005 Porsche Cayenne; 1975 Porsche 911 Carrera 3.0
Yes I have found out that it is typical behavior the hard way.

I have verified that they do make traditional tubeless tires in my size (245/35/20 front - 275/30/20 rear) for anywhere from $200-$100 less per tire (depending on brand)

It is as simple as replacing the tires from one type to another ?
Old 08-12-2023, 04:05 PM

Received 152 Likes on 121 Posts
2012 E350 Cabriolet now SOLD to my son
yep
Old 09-23-2023, 08:08 AM

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
18’ E400 4Matic
I just recently ditched the RFTs for Pilot Sport AS4s and picked up a spare called Modern Spare.

Instantly could feel a difference after about 2 1/2 years on the RFTs. Less noise and bumps feel smoother all around. I always hated how rigid the RFTs felt even on the smaller bumps you’d hit and that is nonexistent after the swap.

Not planning on needing the spare anytime soon but when the time comes I’ll leave a review for that. Takes up descent trunk space but comes in a nicely organized kit/carrying bag. Just keep in mind if you go non-RFT you’ll need to pick up some kind of spare.
Old 09-23-2023, 11:58 AM

Received 123 Likes on 99 Posts
2018 E400 Coupe
Originally Posted by Jppatter
I just recently ditched the RFTs for Pilot Sport AS4s and picked up a spare called Modern Spare.

Instantly could feel a difference after about 2 1/2 years on the RFTs. Less noise and bumps feel smoother all around. I always hated how rigid the RFTs felt even on the smaller bumps you’d hit and that is nonexistent after the swap.

Not planning on needing the spare anytime soon but when the time comes I’ll leave a review for that. Takes up descent trunk space but comes in a nicely organized kit/carrying bag. Just keep in mind if you go non-RFT you’ll need to pick up some kind of spare.
You echo my experience, although I did the same for my 2018 E400 Coupe back in the spring of 2019 as I had grown weary of the awful RFTs that came with the car. Haven't looked back despite sustaining one flat when an errant screw punctured a tire. BUT, I keep my Modern Spare in the garage, saving it for any long trips I might take. Living in the Los Angeles area, I figure that if I should have a flat while driving anywhere within 100 or more miles of my home, it's extremely unlikely — make that certainly unlikely — that I would try to change the tire myself rather than call AAA or my insurance company (which covers such things). Aside from the danger of doing that on the freeway or even most city streets (no one obeys basic traffic laws anymore, and it seems that half are on their cellphones as the speed along), there's the physical exertion and possible injury (I ain't no spring chicken!), and I'm likely to be in my good clothes on my way to some business meeting. Life's too short (and fragile) for that.