E-Class Coupe (C238) & Cabrio (A238) 2017 - E200, E220, E300, E350, E400, E450 [Coupes &Cabriolets]

Exterior Matte Aluminum Window Beltline Molding

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-28-2022, 03:28 PM

Received 109 Likes on 60 Posts
2019 S560 4MATIC Sedan
Exterior Matte Aluminum Window Beltline Molding

If you own a convertible with the AMG LIne Option then you probably have Exterior Matte Aluminum Finish Beltline Moldings under each window and around the rear. You also probably have stains/discoloration from someone who waxed your car and got some on the moldings and/or environmental dirt stains. You also probably don't notice some of these until you park in a garage or are in that kind of lighting situation. I found a way to remove those ugly white wax stains along with surface dirt and grime that adds to the dull look with no damage to the finish. I read that if you wash your car with Dawn it removes the wax on the paint (Remember that Fact - Don't use Dawn to wash your car!!). So I thought if it removes wax then it should work on the moldings. IT DOES!!!! Use a wet terry cloth dish towel (NOT A SCRUBBING ANYTHING) and put a dime sized drop of Dawn dish soap on it. Rub the soap into the molding and do it like you were waxing it. Going in different directions or in circles does not change the appearance or finish so don't worry. When cleaning the big rear wrap around piece open the top. Keep a different clean rinse towel and drying towel works best. Try not to rub painted surfaces with the soap towel and remember Dawn removes wax from paint so expect to do some wax touchup (AFTER YOU PAINTERS TAPE OFF YOUR JUST CLEANED MOLDINGS!!). You will have to do each piece several times to completely remove the wax but each time you will see improvements. Just removing the grime on the spots that didn't have wax on them made a big improvement so do each molding completely concentrating on the spots that need it. Another tip is to use a bright white LED flashlight and shine it lengthwise down the moldings. The spots will light up like snow and you can really see the difference when clean. Hope this helps somebody. It was hard finding any info on how to clean and restore Matte Aluminum moldings without damage. All the products I found online worked best on shiny aluminum.

If anybody knows how to put a shine to these moldings after they are cleaned I would like to know. When you get these wet and the water hasn't evaporated off they really look good with that water sheen shine. I wondering if there is a product to coat these with that gives you that water effect and maybe also protected the surface. Wondering if a Ceramic coat could be applied. I would want to test this on a wreck first. Anybody done this?

I wish I had taken pictures first. The before after shots would have been great. I still have to do the big wrap around piece so maybe some shots then.

Last edited by MBGuy2022; 07-23-2022 at 09:26 PM.