E-Class Coupe (C238) & Cabrio (A238) 2017 - E200, E220, E300, E350, E400, E450 [Coupes &Cabriolets]

Taillight Condensation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-27-2023, 11:28 AM

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
18’ E400 4Matic
Taillight Condensation

Hi all,

I have a persistent problem with condensation in one of my taillights.

I had my front bumper repainted last year and the shop told me that there are vents on these taillight that can get plugged up and that he would take care of it while they had my car. It has been happening again for the past few months so I wanted to see if anyone knew where the vents were and if I had to remove the taillight to access this to clean it up.

Thanks!
Old 03-28-2023, 08:03 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
bmw 650
Originally Posted by Jppatter
Hi all,

I had my front bumper repainted last year and the shop told me that there are vents on these taillight that can get plugged up and that he would take care of it while they had my car. It has been happening again for the past few months so I wanted to see if anyone knew where the vents were and if I had to remove the taillight to access this to clean it up.

Thanks!
The vents are those little circles in the outer plastic of the lens. They get wax and dirt in them. If after cleaning them you still have the issue it will be the seal between the tail light and the body. If it is the seals on the lenses that are part of the trunk lid it will need to be addressed. If not it will eventually let enough water in when washing the car that the backup camera will not function until all the water drains out.
Old 03-28-2023, 01:16 PM

18’ E400 4Matic
Originally Posted by ttuite
The vents are those little circles in the outer plastic of the lens. They get wax and dirt in them. If after cleaning them you still have the issue it will be the seal between the tail light and the body. If it is the seals on the lenses that are part of the trunk lid it will need to be addressed. If not it will eventually let enough water in when washing the car that the backup camera will not function until all the water drains out.
Thanks for that! I believe I have found the two tiny holes in each taillight.

Do you happen to know what gauge the holes are? I would like to use something to clear it out but I don’t seem to have anything that thin to be able to.
Old 03-28-2023, 03:24 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,447 Likes on 3,154 Posts
'71 Pinto
See attachments for removal if need be.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Rear lamp unit.pdf (276.5 KB, 122 views)
Rear lamp unit trunk.pdf (309.7 KB, 88 views)
Trunk lid cover.pdf (497.9 KB, 74 views)
Trunk paneling.pdf (1.04 MB, 53 views)
Trunk rear center.pdf (377.0 KB, 52 views)
Old 03-28-2023, 07:12 PM

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts
Hi all,

Thanks!
The taillight on my 2019 E53 was replaced twice under warranty because the condensation took forever to clear. I don’t know if MB changed the design, but the latest taillight has been dry for over a year.
Old 03-28-2023, 09:51 PM

18’ E400 4Matic
Originally Posted by konigstiger
See attachments for removal if need be.

Thanks for that, very helpful!

Originally Posted by BenzC400
The taillight on my 2019 E53 was replaced twice under warranty because the condensation took forever to clear. I don’t know if MB changed the design, but the latest taillight has been dry for over a year.
Do you know if they are covered under the extended warranty? I know it says electrical systems but wasn’t sure if that applied. It has happened a few times only to the driver taillight on the part not attached to the trunk.
Old 03-29-2023, 07:55 AM

bmw 650
Thanks for that, very helpful!

Do you know if they are covered under the extended warranty? I know it says electrical systems but wasn’t sure if that applied. It has happened a few times only to the driver taillight on the part not attached to the trunk.
The tail lights on our 2018 were just replaced a few weeks ago under the extended warranty.
Old 03-29-2023, 08:01 AM

bmw 650
Thanks for that! I believe I have found the two tiny holes in each taillight.

Do you happen to know what gauge the holes are? I would like to use something to clear it out but I don’t seem to have anything that thin to be able to.
Use some Dawn dish washing solution and a very soft toothbrush and rub it around the holes to get the wax and dirt out.
Old 03-29-2023, 10:32 AM

18’ E400 4Matic
Use some Dawn dish washing solution and a very soft toothbrush and rub it around the holes to get the wax and dirt out.

Just did this so will see if it helps over the next few days!

The tail lights on our 2018 were just replaced a few weeks ago under the extended warranty.
Good to know! I have a service scheduled next week so I will ask about this as well if it doesn't clear up by then.