E-Class Coupe (C238) & Cabrio (A238) 2017 - E200, E220, E300, E350, E400, E450 [Coupes &Cabriolets]

Wet carpet, water leaking in…weather stripping?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-13-2023, 12:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2018 E400 coupe edition 1
Wet carpet, water leaking in…weather stripping?

Has anyone had trouble with water leaking into the vehicle? Or bad/faulty weather stripping?

After a 3 days storm I find a puddle of water on the drivers side floor. I dried it up and checked plugs even removed the door card and fixed a plug but water keeps getting in. We tried to duplicate it by pouring water over the car and windows but not the same. Everything seemed fine even after multiple washes but it rained heavy again now I can see the water soaking the weather stripping on the door like if it were coming from under the door but still can’t find the main cause. Clogged drain somewhere or the stripping is bad somewhere?
Old 05-13-2023, 02:46 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,028 Likes on 3,165 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by sudonem
Has anyone had trouble with water leaking into the vehicle? Or bad/faulty weather stripping?

After a 3 days storm I find a puddle of water on the drivers side floor. I dried it up and checked plugs even removed the door card and fixed a plug but water keeps getting in. We tried to duplicate it by pouring water over the car and windows but not the same. Everything seemed fine even after multiple washes but it rained heavy again now I can see the water soaking the weather stripping on the door like if it were coming from under the door but still can’t find the main cause. Clogged drain somewhere or the stripping is bad somewhere?
Does your car have a sliding roof? Check the sliding roof drains by pouring a cup of water into the trough surrounding the sliding glass panel (roof open). Confirm it dribbles out under the car near the transmission or front wheels.

If the roof drains are blocked push a piece of string trimmer (weed whacker) line down the drain to clear. Very heavy 75-100lb fishing line might also work.
The following 2 users liked this post by chassis:
SidE2 (05-14-2023), ttuite (05-13-2023)