E-Class Coupe (C238) & Cabrio (A238) 2017 - E200, E220, E300, E350, E400, E450 [Coupes &Cabriolets]

Reversing camera issue on E class convertible

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-26-2023, 05:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E class convertible
Reversing camera issue on E class convertible

A couple of weeks ago the reversing camera stopped working properly on my 2019 E Class convertible.
When I select reverse, the rear bage on the boot opens and the camera shows the image on the dashboard but after a couple of seconds it then closes and the screen on the dashboard goes black and shows a red camers symbol with a line through it.
I know the camera is functioning as it shows the camera image on the dashboard briefly and also know that the mechanics on the boot badge are working as it opens as it should but then closes on it's own after a couple of seconds.
I've also noticed that when I try and select the " clean rear camera " option from the dashboard display, the rear badge doesn't open.
Has anyone come across anything like this before as I'm at a loss as the camera and mechanism do work............maybe a software issue?
Thanks in advance for any input.
Old 11-02-2023, 01:04 AM
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Are you on the Command or MBUX system? In mine (I have a '21 E450, MBUX) I can manually open the camera, so I can inspect it and clean it. You have to hunt in the menu for it. Your car is a little older, so I'm not sure if yours has that option.

Either way, Look in your manual to see if you can find how to keep it open so you can inspect it. The black screen and red camera slash thing happened to me last month.

Also...make sure there's nothing even remotely tiny keeping the trunk from fully engaging or causing the gasket to fold back on itself, It's a tempermental camera. I accidentally got a bucket handle caught in it, and even after i cleared it, the gasket was a bit unhappy. Yeah...seriously. THATprevented the camera from engaging. It thinks it isn't closed properly (so won't open up, or won't stay open). Once I smoothed back the gasket, it was happy (and worked again).
Old 11-27-2023, 06:10 AM

E-class 300 Cabriolet
Hi Steve
I have exactly the same issue on mine however when i turn the car off i get a grinding noise. I have been advised to take the take the unit out from the inside and make sure that the mech on the inside is clean and free from git and gunk. Once cleaned the make sure the the camera is working before putting back together. If it is faulty i have found the replacement part which you can purchase from MB for £65+vat and the camera then clips into the new mounting. Here is the link to the part
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265627656...Bk9SR8rc-tL9Yg

Old 11-27-2023, 06:21 AM

E-class 300 Cabriolet
Same issue

Hi Steve
I have the same issue but with mine there is a grinding noise when i turn the car off. I have been advised that it may be due to grit and grime in the working of the part that sit behind the badge. I am going to take the part out from the inside of the boot and give it a good clean and check the teeth on the cogs out the push the camera out. Then give them a good clean and then try the camera out and see if this resolves the issue. If this doesn't i have done a little research and you can buy a new part PN A0997500300 from MB for £65+vat and then transfer the camera from the old one to the new part. The badge comes off the old part easy as well.

MERCEDES E CLASS COUPE C238 GLC COUPE C253 REAR LID HANDLE A0997500300 RF C8U-11 | eBay is what you need and is part number 13 below (would have to be 13).

MB want £150 just to Diagnose the issue and then the repair on top of this. Scandalous.

Will let you know how i go on.
Old 03-03-2024, 09:48 AM

2017 e220 coupe
Rear camera - same problem

Hi. I’ve got a 2017 W213 coupe with exactly the same problem. Did you find a fix please?

QUOTE=stevem1970;8852625]A couple of weeks ago the reversing camera stopped working properly on my 2019 E Class convertible.
When I select reverse, the rear bage on the boot opens and the camera shows the image on the dashboard but after a couple of seconds it then closes and the screen on the dashboard goes black and shows a red camers symbol with a line through it.
I know the camera is functioning as it shows the camera image on the dashboard briefly and also know that the mechanics on the boot badge are working as it opens as it should but then closes on it's own after a couple of seconds.
I've also noticed that when I try and select the " clean rear camera " option from the dashboard display, the rear badge doesn't open.
Has anyone come across anything like this before as I'm at a loss as the camera and mechanism do work............maybe a software issue?
Thanks in advance for any input.[/QUOTE]
Old 03-03-2024, 09:41 PM

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
'18 E400 Cab
Yeah, I'll back up the other posts, and you'll see more if you search this forum. That backup camera is finicky. Once, I took apart the trunk lid from the inside and cleaned the metal connection points and that resolved it for about a year. Make sure those connections and the gaskets stay very clean and undisturbed. I also found a funny trick: As soon as you put it in reverse and as the camera is turning on, push the round controller wheel forward toward the dash and put it in 180 degree mode. For some reason if you do that right away it tends to stay open. No idea why, found it by accident. Doesn't work 100% of the time, but well over 50% once you get the timing right.